Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This the Face of Our Sport? (Bolt's New T-Shirt)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This the Face of Our Sport? (Bolt's New T-Shirt)

http://www.fotoglif.com/f/cbemyf1q3eyu

I found this story on "the other message board" and thought I'd share it here to get everyone's thoughts.

Is Usain Bolt putting forth the best image of our sport in our time of greatest need? How much of these types of antics will sponsors put up with (i.e. Michael Phelps)? Aren't athletes supposed to be role models?

What are your thoughts?

I'll admit that I'm pretty old-fashioned and my opinions with regards to these Q's are pretty strong, but I'm curious to know how my fellow fans feel.

If your a parent do you want to rely on sports figures to shape your childs morals? Of course not. Parents should be the role model for their child.

I like the shirt, most people piss me off. When i come in contact with humans it's very often negative, with exceptions of course. I have decades worth of confrontations with dog owners ect ect ect......
    phsstt!

Comment

IMO, the new face of our sport aside, if for a fact the shirt stated what the article said it did, that is inappropriate. That would apply for Bolt or anyone else for that matter. Having stated that, one person does not represent the entire sport, he (Bolt) is certainly highly identified with the sport.

If Bolt were to retire today, the sport would still carry on and be viable. As we know track & field is one of the oldest sports known to mankind, pre Bolt and post Bolt, would apply here.
      on the road

Comment

No big deal. Someone had to go out of there way to decipher the shirts code. Than man was travelling. Antics??? It's a shirt, one of which I never seen before so I wouldn't have known.
        Afrikan

Comment

Even if we've seen it before, MANY of us would not have known what it meant, therefore, ignoring the shirt all together.

Is it appropriate? no. Should he wear it or something similar again? No.

No one should be loosing sleep, but he might tick off a few folks for wearign something of that nature.

Comment

I've seen worse.

Comment

This wouldn't be the first time an athlete has done something juvenile and embarrassing to their country/federation or themselves. They may be the best in the world, but it doesn't mean they're mature.

Comment

Re: Is This the Face of Our Sport? (Bolt's New T-Shirt)

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                http://www.fotoglif.com/f/cbemyf1q3eyu

I found this story on "the other message board" and thought I'd share it here to get everyone's thoughts.

Is Usain Bolt putting forth the best image of our sport in our time of greatest need? How much of these types of antics will sponsors put up with (i.e. Michael Phelps)? Aren't athletes supposed to be role models?

What are your thoughts?

I'll admit that I'm pretty old-fashioned and my opinions with regards to these Q's are pretty strong, but I'm curious to know how my fellow fans feel.
                lol i can't believe you made a thread over a t-shirt he's wearing, why care?, he doesn't have to be a role model to anyone, a t-shirt doesn't mean anything, damn, if your offended by this, i kinda feel sorry for u

Comment

On the one hand it bothers me not at all, on the other I kind of wish he would promote a more positive message. Not a big deal one way or the other.

Comment

Funny, again someone/website who wants to get some press time!! Who are FOTOGLIF? first time ever now they exist.

So, They turn the shirt "sideways"...and it mean that. Why didn't they say what the writings mean....in the "upright"position it's being worn? I guess, we can start figuring out what words really mean in every language...by spelling them backwards

Many gestures, body language etc. that, politicians/president etcs....are decipher the meaning aren't what you want your kids see or know. Yeah, they have even President Obama...using that middle finger gestures. LOL, Along with many other big politicians...list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                      Why didn't they say what the writings mean....in the "upright"position it's being worn?
                      It would be gobbledygook. The characters were picked for their shape not their meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                        Many gestures, body language etc. that, politicians/president etcs....are decipher the meaning aren't what you want your kids see or know. Yeah, they have even President Obama...using that middle finger gestures. LOL, Along with many other big politicians...list goes on and on.
                        Bolt's shirt is not an inadvertent "gesture" that happened to be misinterpreted by the press.

Comment

In the greater scheme of things, is it any worse that the multitude of shirts put out by French Connection United Kingdom?
                          Regards,
                          toyracer

Comment

Re: Is This the Face of Our Sport? (Bolt's New T-Shirt)

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                            Gimme a break. He's just a guy who happens to be able to run fast. How does that imply he owes it to the society to act in any particular way?

Now of course, if sponsors don't want to spend money on an athlete because of the way he acts away from competition, it's their right to decide how to spend their money. You, on the other hand, have got as much right to dictate Bolt how to dress as he does to tell you what to eat for breakfast.
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                              French Connection, United Kingdom?
                              :?:

OK, I get it; fcuk. I'd say its worse, but no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X