Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre - In-stadium announcements

Surprised no-one else has commented on the lack of information provided to the crowd on most of the field events. After the athlete introductions, there was essentially no information on the progress of the PV, HJ, and discus. Minimal info on the progress of the shot. The announcements focused on the track events, and the M and W LJ. Most of the crowd had no idea what was going on in the other field events. Inexcusable for a meet of this caliber.

Welcome to T&F in the US . . .

And let me guess - they used the big video board to show you video of the race that was taking place right in front of your eyes instead of useful information.

Comment

There wasn't much to say about the pole vault!

Comment

the announcer has to get a free pass on this one. At one point the mHJ, PV, LJ, SP and wLJ, DT, HT were all going on at same time, as were the running events. When you cram a many-event extravaganza into a TV window, the announcer (whomever it is) runs out of airtime. Quickly.

Comment

Re: Pre - In-stadium announcements

Originally posted by Olly
          Surprised no-one else has commented on the lack of information provided to the crowd on most of the field events. After the athlete introductions, there was essentially no information on the progress of the PV, HJ, and discus. Minimal info on the progress of the shot. The announcements focused on the track events, and the M and W LJ. Most of the crowd had no idea what was going on in the other field events. Inexcusable for a meet of this caliber.
          Well, as GH just posted, it is very diffcult to cover seven field at once and all seven WERE going on at one point. However, and I hasten to point out that I do not under any circumstances feel the need to defend myself here, the question has to be what would you have me do in that situation? We were all over the LJ, all over Frizell's Canadian NR in the HT, did a half decent job with Powell, Hill and Breisch in the DT, we mentioned the big guys in the SP as much as possible and did a decent job in that event in round 6 which was important. Yes, we lost the bulk of the WHT, MHJ and Women LJ early on but with all of the stuff on the track, it was virtually impossible to cover everything. Field event updates on the scoreboard would have been a huge help, but it was not to be. This is what happens when you try to pound 10 pounds of manure into a six pound bag. I really needed about another 20 minutes in the whole show to get more stuff out. Not to be this time. Pre is a very hard meet to do because of the intensity of the whole show. Obviously, I am very sensitive to the field events and do the best I can at every meet I do. I can tell you that without GH on the field this time running heard on the meet, we may have been in even worse shape with those field events.

Comment

Oh Scott ! WTF do you and Gary know about announcing?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy

And let me guess - they used the big video board to show you video of the race that was taking place right in front of your eyes instead of useful information.
              My first comment was made without thinking about the logistics of the Pre meet - my apologies to SDavis and others involved in announcing this 10-ring circus of a meet. It is impossible to do it all in that compressed format.

That said, it is true that field events are regularly screwed by meet announcers and TV folks, even at meets with a lot more time to fill.

And while I was not there and therefore do not know for sure about the use of the video board, it was the case at the OTs and other meets I have been to that video boards are regularly used to show fans the very race that is taking place in front of their very eyes rather than presenting useful information. (For instance, in distance races keeping a list of competitors with their hip numbers visible so that we can put names to bodies, instead of just showing the 5/10k on the big board.)

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                Oh Scott ! WTF do you and Gary know about announcing?
                Excellent. This made me laugh. :-)

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                  Originally posted by "bad hammy":3thk7dh1

My first comment was made without thinking about the logistics of the Pre meet - my apologies to SDavis and others involved in announcing this 10-ring circus of a meet. It is impossible to do it all in that compressed format.

That said, it is true that field events are regularly screwed by meet announcers and TV folks, even at meets with a lot more time to fill.

And while I was not there and therefore do not know for sure about the use of the video board, it was the case at the OTs and other meets I have been to that video boards are regularly used to show fans the very race that is taking place in front of their very eyes rather than presenting useful information. (For instance, in distance races keeping a list of competitors with their hip numbers visible so that we can put names to bodies, instead of just showing the 5/10k on the big board.)[/quote:3thk7dh1]

No apology necessary. At least you see the 10-ring circus nature of the meet. And I was pretty much told what TV wanted and how I needed to do it. If you ask GH and Kevin, they will tell you that I was very nervous about this meet on Sat night. And this was my 20th Pre Classic. You would think it would be old hat. But it is never old hat and this one had the potential for some problems. Fortuantely, they did not evenuate and I really do think that given the nature of this Pre Classic, we all did a pretty decent job. But I am glad I had that extra shot of Crown Royal with GH Sat night.

Comment

Originally posted by SDavis
                    But I am glad I had that extra shot of Crown Royal with GH Sat night.
                    Guys, you have to upgrade. CR is basically gasoline - there are so many better choices!

Comment

when you're doing shots, gasoline is the order of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        when you're doing shots, gasoline is the order of the day.
                        Had we started with non-gasoline, the field events would have been more hosed up than they were. We considered Mac 25 until we saw the price! :-) Other considerations were Bombay Sapphire and Bacardi 151. All in all, we made a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                        X