Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Really Likes to Compete?

Unlike ANY other sport with competitors at the TOP of their game, it seems odd that the recent top dawgs in T&F are the least seen on the track? I'll let others argue the merits of holding out for the biggest payday. However, I'm sure it causes casual fans to question whether or not some of our athletes truly love to compete...especially when they 100% healthy and are rarely competing. Is there a correlation between not being #1, and being more or less willing to actually compete? An athlete that comes to mind is Shawn Crawford. I get the impression that he loves to race...whether the competitor has 2 legs or 4 The guy always seems to be at someone's starting line. I can't recall if he was as willing when he was a "top-dawg" after winning the gold in 2004. Top hurdlers (110 & 400) don't appear to have this "problem" when they're healthy. They appear to love competition, and look forward to opportunities to challenge each other.

As stated earlier, I'm not arguing why an athlete holds out -- but asking who gives you the impression that they simply love to race?

1. bill rodgers used to race everyweek and he stills runs many races even though he is no longer competitive.
    2. kjell erik stahl ran a sub 2:20 marathon a month.
    3. doug kurtis same as stahl
    4. geb if he runs great as usual or runs poor, or even drops out he is always smiling and seeming happy.
    5. meseret defar she like geb is always smiling always happy in an interview she said she wants to break world records over and over again and win the olynpics and the olympics after that and then ththe one after that she said it 5 times so that would take her to the 2024 olympics.
    6. deribe merga said he loves to race and would race weekly if his coaches and management would let him.
    7. john the elder kelley, he won boston 10 years apart and ran in 61 boston marathons completing 58, long after he was competitive, now top runners are talking about retiring in their 20's, if not sooner.

Comment

Steph Twell loves to compete - she is someone who does seem to race on a weekly basis. On the roads, on the track, on the mud, on any surface really!

You mentioned the hurdlers not ducking each other and it's the same with the shot-putters. Hoffa, Majewski, Cantwell et al are always bumping into each other on the circuit and I think it's great that they are prepared to compete all the time.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I always thought it was longevity of career rather then # of appearances in a season, as the defining attribute for loving to race. As it takes a stronger desire to race to meet the gruelling routine year in and year out of a professional athlete.

So, people like Ottey, Allen Johnson, Dvorak, Hartwig are more who I define as loving to compete.

Comment

Gail Devers maybe? One of my favorite Bruins

Comment

I must Shawn Crawford, loves to run. 30 yrs old and still putting a fight outhere with the young guns.

read in a article where he mention his training...is not as sprint pack and he would like. Group that he trains with are mostly for 400m runners. Article was published just before he race in Toronto. Its left to see if he can put it together for his national trials.

Comment

JW is skipping the 400 at the trials, Gay is doing a one-off, Campbell is skipping the 100 at JA's trials...

Perhaps this phenomenon isn't new for those athletes that are allowed to compete at worlds by default as the current champ. Whatever happened to the good o'l days of simply making a statement by competing ANYWAY to show your dominance, or LOVE of competition?

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
                JW is skipping the 400 at the trials, Gay is doing a one-off, Campbell is skipping the 100 at JA's trials...

Perhaps this phenomenon isn't new for those athletes that are allowed to compete at worlds by default as the current champ. Whatever happened to the good o'l days of simply making a statement by competing ANYWAY to show your dominance, or LOVE of competition?
                The top male sprinters are so prone to ducking nowadays that it is not much fun anymore

I wouldn't be surprised if Bolt/Tyson and Asafa all clash no more than once this season(in Berlin WC)
                Cows need love too

Comment

I think Bolt is game for whomever comes along, personally would not make Tyson out to be a ducker but one or two ducks if not swans last season would make me say otherwise deep down I don't think he is, and everyone knows Asafa is the elephant looking for the mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                    I wouldn't be surprised if Bolt/Tyson and Asafa all clash no more than once this season(in Berlin WC)
                    I would be surprised if all 3 met even once outside of the WC.

Most of it is not so much conscious ducking, but it's a short-term greed where they price each other out of the matchups. Whatever appearance fee it is they normally accept, they demand more in order to run against another big name.

So if you want 2 or 3 of them in the same race, you're not only paying 2 or 3 big appearance fees, you're paying a bigger than usual appearance fee for each. The meet is often unprofitable at that level of expenditure, so it doesn't happen. As a result of seeking to maximize what they make for an individual meet, they reduce the amount they make in the long term because the lack of matchups isn't good for building a big fan base.

That's another reason why there needs to be a professional track and field league where teams compete against each other over a season (e.g. 8 team league with 4 per meet), with athletes accumulating points for the team over the course of the season as well as adding to their individual point total and being paid on that performance basis instead of appearance fees.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                      Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                      I would be surprised if all 3 met even once outside of the WC.

Most of it is not so much conscious ducking, but it's a short-term greed where they price each other out of the matchups. Whatever appearance fee it is they normally accept, they demand more in order to run against another big name.

So if you want 2 or 3 of them in the same race, you're not only paying 2 or 3 big appearance fees, you're paying a bigger than usual appearance fee for each. The meet is often unprofitable at that level of expenditure, so it doesn't happen. As a result of seeking to maximize what they make for an individual meet, they reduce the amount they make in the long term because the lack of matchups isn't good for building a big fan base.

That's another reason why there needs to be a professional track and field league where teams compete against each other over a season (e.g. 8 team league with 4 per meet), with athletes accumulating points for the team over the course of the season as well as adding to their individual point total and being paid on that performance basis instead of appearance fees.

I agree and us trackfans lose out for not seeing too many matchups and we wonder why track isn't as popular(in non Olympic years) as it should be.

I read recently that the new Diamond League format starting next year will have "guaranteed' contracts with the big name athletes which hopefully will guarantee at least a couple of matchups per track season.
                      Cows need love too

Comment

Steve Scott...loved to compete/race.

Comment

Working...
                        X