• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Nationals: Things to ponder?

Originally posted by knite
    I just noticed a few entries for US nationals in 2 wks:

Status Entries: http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/USAOut ... status.asp

I see Lagat is entered in the 800m's, presumably getting in some speed work in his preparations for WC's this summer.

What is the cutof for entrants into any event, the list for the 1500m's seems incredibly long this yr.

No Xavier Carter in any event?
    X is now entered in the 200m & 400m.

Comment

Originally posted by nrh

I see Lagat is entered in the 800m's, presumably getting in some speed work in his preparations for WC's this summer.

What is the cutof for entrants into any event, the list for the 1500m's seems incredibly long this yr.

That was quick. They've been updating the lists all day! Great job on that.

I still wouldn't recommend Xman to double....!

Comment

Nike was offering six figures, an enormous amount to a kid from a small agricultural community whose father works for a tomato company making cans, and whose mother does temporary work as a waitress but stays home with the kids when she can.

The opportunity was not only lucrative, it was incredibly flattering. It’s rare for proven, elite distance runners to make that amount of money, much less a kid coming out of high school.

So Fernandez, tagged by many in the running world as the best American high school distance runner ever, was torn. The opportunity was tempting, but he wanted an education. Nike counter-offered.

"After I told them I wanted to go to college they said, ‘Well, we’ll pay for your tuition at Portland State, but you can’t run for the school, you have to run for the Nike team,’ ” Fernandez said. "So that’s when I started thinking.”
        http://newsok.com/osu-home-to-fernandez/article/3307132

Comment

Originally posted by nrh

I dont think he'll double.

Just keeping his options open in case the entrants change.

The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Am I the only one noticing no Torri on the 100 or 200 entry list?

Same coach and management (HSI) as Carmelita right?

Hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by nrh

He wants to have options and doubling is the only way to have options. If he makes both, he may elect to only compete in one.
              on the road

Comment

Why not? On Saturday June 27 he has about 1 1/2 hours between a 200 heat & the 400 final. At the 2005 NCAA he ran 20.08 and 44.0r with less rest. In 2007 USAT&F he ran 21.02 to make the 200 semi.

After his 44.70 in 2008 he said that he likes to run two races/day. He did well at the 2006 NCAA with five races at 100 & four races at 400 in four days.

IF he makes the team in both events he can wait until August to choose his event based on performances by the opposition.
                none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                  Why not? On Saturday June 27 he has about 1 1/2 hours between a 200 heat & the 400 final. At the 2005 NCAA he ran 20.08 and 44.0r with less rest. In 2007 USAT&F he ran 21.02 to make the 200 semi.

After his 44.70 in 2008 he said that he likes to run two races/day. He did well at the 2006 NCAA with five races at 100 & four races at 400 in four days.

IF he makes the team in both events he can wait until August to choose his event based on performances by the opposition.
                  I know his history, but without knowing how he fares in the same day double where folks will be running well along with him, won't allow for any mishaps. Merritt and Larry come to mind as 2 who will be running well. That leaves only one spot to flirt with. However, I assume that they are simulating this type of effort in training. So I hope it all works out for him. As being that successful on short time frame would put him back on that '06 status!

Comment

I don't see Larry beating X, especially when rounds are involved. Thats assuming both are healthy.

Comment

I know his history, but without knowing how he fares in the same day double where folks will be running well along with him, won't allow for any mishaps. Merritt and Larry come to mind as 2 who will be running well. That leaves only one spot to flirt with. However, I assume that they are simulating this type of effort in training. So I hope it all works out for him. As being that successful on short time frame would put him back on that '06 status!
                      I agree about Merritt, but Larry, Neville, Williamson, Witherspoon, Nixon and Torrance have been inconsistent. The collegians have been even worse.

The 12 guys behind Merritt could run anything between 44.4 and 46.6.
                      none

Comment

Gleason, you have shown yourself to be a huge proponent of Xavier Carter running a lot of races. You mention it all the time. You also appear to have some inability to see that Xavier Carter has regressed as an athlete. I too have a difficult time accepting that he is not as good as he once was. You look at him through rose colored lenses. Perhaps he will live up to your expectations, but it really seems that he will not. I once thought he would eventually break 44 seconds in the 400, but now I really don't have any reason to believe this.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
                          Gleason, you have shown yourself to be a huge proponent of Xavier Carter running a lot of races. You mention it all the time. You also appear to have some inability to see that Xavier Carter has regressed as an athlete. I too have a difficult time accepting that he is not as good as he once was. You look at him through rose colored lenses. Perhaps he will live up to your expectations, but it really seems that he will not. I once thought he would eventually break 44 seconds in the 400, but now I really don't have any reason to believe this.
                          I agree.
                          none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                            I agree.
                            what? So then tell me why he should double??? :?

Comment

He hasn't regressed, he just has NOT been healthy. Last year he ran a 44.70 last year off NO endurance training and also PRed in the 100 last year. Then he went down to injury. The year before that, he dislocated his knee aat the US Champs came back and ran a 19.92.

He hasn't been healthy to have the opportunities he has needed to be in his 06 form.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                                Is the Clay the defending champ for WC's ?
                                Only if his name used to be Šebrle.
                                Does it seem a bit odd to others, as it does to me, that the champion from last year does not get an automatic pass (when the even is both a bigger deal and more recent) while the athlete from two years ago does get that pass?

Would there be too many past champions? Would there be a problem for the them to use the most recent global championship (i.e., the Olympics the year after and the WCs in the third year of the Olympic cycle)?

While I am editing a minor omission, I will thank gh for his informed comment two down.

Comment

Working...
                                X