Leigh Smith
    Ian Dobson

Injuries?

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    I think Xman has a real chance to make the 400m team, run high to mid 44, and quiet his critics.

I'd love to see that happen.
    great advice in light of his more than immense talent at 400 and after the injury on the curve at top speed at 200m last year.
    Yeah, and I believe Wariner's bye, and the inconsistency of our 400 runners outside of Merritt gives X a real shot at making this team.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    I think, like Ryun, he's better off doing a 51/52 first lap then doing a long push to try and kill Simmonds kick. Also interesting stat: 1.46.02 almost 11 years ago, at the tender age of 23.
    I agree, but Lagat won the 1000 meters at Gateshead on August 31, 2008 in 2:16.18 against Willis (2:16.93), Symmonds (2:17.10) and Brannen (2:17.34).

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    I'm interested to see how Lagat does in the 800m's. Not that he isn't good, but I want him to have some decent speed for the 15 and 5K this summer at the WC's. Also I want him to put pressure on those who sit and kick in the 800m race as I assume he would have to take the race out to avoid those types.
    I think, like Ryun, he's better off doing a 51/52 first lap then doing a long push to try and kill Simmonds kick. Also interesting stat: 1.46.02 almost 11 years ago, at the tender age of 23.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    You'd not find, for example, a lot of nations willing to sign off on the U.S. having Wariner and Merritt in the meet.... AND THREE MORE!
    I agree, but the other side of that coin is that the Ethiopian women would have Defar and Tirunesh Dibaba in the 5000 AND THREE MORE!

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    I was suggesting that the WCs following the OGs use the OG's winner from the previous year rather than the WC's winner from two years back. The year before the OGs the previous WCs (two years before) is the best choice. I am not suggesting a wildcard for the Olympics (either from the prior WC or OG).

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    I think Xman has a real chance to make the 400m team, run high to mid 44, and quiet his critics.

I'd love to see that happen.
    great advice in light of his more than immense talent at 400 and after the injury on the curve at top speed at 200m last year.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I'm interested to see how Lagat does in the 800m's. Not that he isn't good, but I want him to have some decent speed for the 15 and 5K this summer at the WC's. Also I want him to put pressure on those who sit and kick in the 800m race as I assume he would have to take the race out to avoid those types.
    Lagat is apparently going for an 800 PR in Europe right after nationals, so wants to use this for speedwork.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Originally posted by einnod23
    Originally posted by gh
    For all intents and purposes, the OG/WC qualifying methods are "identical."

You've got to remember that Nebiolo had it in his mind that his WC was just as big and important as the OG. He made that very clear. And when he invented the wild-card concept it was to promote the IAAF's meet, not the OG.

I have no idea if the idea of OG wildcards has ever been floated to current IAAF management, but I'd say it's an idea whose time has come. But I'd not expect it to get a lot of support. At least unless they made it the OG champ instead of the world champ.

You'd not find, for example, a lot of nations willing to sign off on the U.S. having Wariner and Merritt in the meet.... AND THREE MORE!
    1. I thought the WC Wildcard was for Mike. Both him and IAAF had a big interest in keeping him "qualified" for Athens '97.

2. Problem with OG Wildcard............4 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!
    There aren't any WC for the Olympic Games.
    ....and I don't think there will ever be. Garry's post proposes that it's "an idea whose time has come". Four years is a long time between Games to be a Wildcard.

Now, I do propose this: The pre-Oly World Champ should choose between the next years Olys, or the Worlds two years from now, but not both. For example, an Osaka Champ wildcards for Bejing, but has to run and qualify for Berlin. OR, the Osaka champ has to qualify for Bejing but can wildcard for Berlin.

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by einnod23
    Originally posted by gh

You've got to remember that Nebiolo had it in his mind that his WC was just as big and important as the OG. He made that very clear. And when he invented the wild-card concept it was to promote the IAAF's meet, not the OG.

I have no idea if the idea of OG wildcards has ever been floated to current IAAF management, but I'd say it's an idea whose time has come. But I'd not expect it to get a lot of support. At least unless they made it the OG champ instead of the world champ.

1. I thought the WC Wildcard was for Mike. Both him and IAAF had a big interest in keeping him "qualified" for Athens '97.

There aren't any WC for the Olympic Games.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    RE: X-Man. Regardless of his 100 PR his career peak as a runner (to date) was clearly 2006. Sure, injuries have had a lot to do with his lack of progression since then but since he has not progressed, nor remained static, the only other option on the table is regression.

Leave a comment:

• Chrome Dome
    replied
    I agree that it would be interesting if Lagat or someone would force the pace, for a change, in the 800 final,so we could see who would keep up beside Symmonds and how they would finish!

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    Am I the only one noticing no Torri on the 100 or 200 entry list?
    Same coach and management (HSI) as Carmelita right?
    Hmmmm....
    I'm also troubled by Torri. I didn't worry when she had a slow start because she can improve quickly, but when she scratched from Pre I worried about an injury.
    I dont think we'll see the Torri we've seen in the past.

Personally I believe our top 100m runners should watch out or a surprise pb sub 11 by Alex the Great in the final could shock the field.

If you make the final all you need is one good race.
    That goes for Shalonda Solomon, Tianna Madison, etc as they both have 11.04 & 11.05 marks already this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X