Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
    Originally posted by guruof track
    How is this policy any different than the last?? Hasn't the JAAA always played king/queen maker when it saw fit???
    Obviously you don't know the JA association, rule much.

Lets go back to pre worlds 2007. She was injury then and missed JA trials, and tried to get back into her 2006 form where the finish as top female 100m runner. She couldn't exibit that form and therefore was left off Jamaica's track team for the 2007 World Championships in Osaka.
    Merlene Ottey????? Didn't she get a special invite????

Comment

• Originally posted by skiboo
      Originally posted by Paul Henry
      Couple questions:

What makes a "Jamaican Banwagon rider" ?

How do you discern one on this forum?
      Generally speaking, poor spelling and grammar skills. Sorry. :P
      gh's comments the other day about the 'grammar police' are well taken. However, as an informed reader, but not one that is a TS regular/insider, I find it hard to follow all of the posts and part of the reason is a bit of sloppiness in the writing. If people would take a second and read their post before submitting it would make it a little easier on me.

I use Firefox for a browser and one of the reasons that I do is because it has a spell checker built in that flags words it does not know (and allows you to add ones it does not but are words/names you want). I still am not close to perfect and can tell when I have been less-than-careful because of sometimes-confused comments that follow from my errors; however, the checker does help when I pay attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by guruof track
        Merlene Ottey????? Didn't she get a special invite????
        I presume you now refer to the Ottey/Dowdie fiasco.

In 2000 Ottey did not get a special invitation. She finished fourth at our national trials, and post-trials ran the fastest times of the season. Dowdie did not run at all post-trials. The JAAA substituted Dowdie with Ottey based on Ottey's form and Dowdie's non-performance, and that is when the bruhaha started.

It was later revealed that Dowdie was injured post-trials, and the decision was the correct one to make, but the JAAA really stepped in it by not fully disclosing what they may have known about Dowdie's fitness.

In any case, the present scenario with Simpson is different, in that she will not be competing at our national trials at all. That's where the new rule can come into play. Sportsfanx1 is correct in remembering a similar situation in 2007.
        Regards,
        toyracer

Comment

• Which reaffirms my original statement, how is this current rule change different from what has happened in the past,..........besides the fact its in writing now.

Comment

• It's not.
            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Originally posted by skiboo
              Originally posted by Paul Henry
              Couple questions:

What makes a "Jamaican Banwagon rider" ?

How do you discern one on this forum?
              Generally speaking, poor spelling and grammar skills. Sorry. :P
              You should be more concerned what this post makes you?

What makes a classist moran? Someone who cannot differentiate between typographic errors and bad spelling and goe on to post what you posted. "Ain't it so" probably you need us structuring our grammer like that.

Comment

• Well, he did apologize at the end, PH.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• [quote=guruof track]
                  Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                  Originally posted by "guruof track":2ukm28tv
                  How is this policy any different than the last?? Hasn't the JAAA always played king/queen maker when it saw fit???
                  Obviously you don't know the JA association, rule much.

Lets go back to pre worlds 2007. She was injury then and missed JA trials, and tried to get back into her 2006 form where the finish as top female 100m runner. She couldn't exibit that form and therefore was left off Jamaica's track team for the 2007 World Championships in Osaka.
                  Merlene Ottey????? Didn't she get a special invite????[/quote:2ukm28tv]

I know Bolt shouldn't of been in Athens in 2004 after he got hurt in April, didn't run at the trials and magically ran in the 200m and got bounced in the first round. So Toyracer, I got nothing but respect for you cause you bring truth and insight to a forum, but politics runs the show down there.

That Ottey situation was a flex of power and ego. And I quote "I will not run on the relays if I am not allowed to compete in the open 100m" You remember the potential team boycott by the athletes?

Comment

• I wasnt even going to bring the 2004 Bolt situation up.

Same system, just in writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by justblaze1011
                      I know Bolt shouldn't of been in Athens in 2004 after he got hurt in April, didn't run at the trials and magically ran in the 200m and got bounced in the first round. So Toyracer, I got nothing but respect for you cause you bring truth and insight to a forum, but politics runs the show down there.
                      To this day I don't know exactly how that all happened. ALl I know is that he was named to the team, and there didn't seem to be a big fuss about it. AS you say, politics, and if the Simpson case comes down to politics, she is on the wrong side once she is associated with MVP.

That Ottey situation was a flex of power and ego. And I quote "I will not run on the relays if I am not allowed to compete in the open 100m" You remember the potential team boycott by the athletes?
                      I remember it very well, the protest in the village and all. At the time, I was on "their side" as well, because the perception was that an athlete who did not qualify (Ottey) was displacing an athlete that did qualify (Dowdie) and won the national championship in the process. It was only long after the Olympics etc that it became known (and not very well known either) that Dowdie was injured. And yes, I do remember the quote, which only made the JAAA decision appear worse, as it seemed that they were capitulating to her demand. The public at large in Jamaica did not like the decision at all, and Ottey's fourth place finished was the icing on the cake as far as that was concerned. That was the first time in my life I've heard any Jamaican fan say that a Jamaican athlete deserved to not finish in a medal position.
                      Regards,
                      toyracer

Comment

• 2 perspectives on Bolt versus everyone else and Berlin expectations

- Bolt's margin on the Ostrava field was huge, but that field was not anywhere near as strong as even Reebok or Eugene (i.e. no Gay, Dix, Rodgers, Powell, Thompson, Martina, etc.). It was a good run for Pickering, but not not yet at the level of these guys, obviously. So, Bolt's margin in this particular race not necessarily indicative of where he is going to be in Berlin against the rest of the big boys. Is Bolt the favorite? Yes. But not by such a massive margin if these guys are healthy and ready to go.

- Berlin: incredible, beautiful stadium that will produce awesome atmosphere for Championships. The track, however, does not seem to be a pure sprinter's track. It does not seem to be a blazing track for the short sprints. It does seem good all around for distances, jumps, etc. So, I doubt we will see any record times in the 100 or 200.

Comment

• Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                          - Berlin: incredible, beautiful stadium that will produce awesome atmosphere for Championships. The track, however, does not seem to be a pure sprinter's track. It does not seem to be a blazing track for the short sprints. It does seem good all around for distances, jumps, etc. So, I doubt we will see any record times in the 100 or 200.
                          I'm NOT disagreeing with you...but I just laughed out loud as I said to myself "yeah, I used to say the same thing about the Lausanne track."

Comment

• Originally posted by kuha
                            Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                            I'm NOT disagreeing with you...but I just laughed out loud as I said to myself "yeah, I used to say the same thing about the Lausanne track."
                            You meant this track.... powell v/s gay
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XcDO_wBIk

Comment

• Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                              The track, however, does not seem to be a pure sprinter's track. It does not seem to be a blazing track for the short sprints. It does seem good all around for distances, jumps, etc. So, I doubt we will see any record times in the 100 or 200.
                              I am inclined to agree with you. Taking a look at the past ISTAF events, there are only eight sub-10 runs there since 1998. The colour looks great though.
                              Regards,
                              toyracer

Comment

Working...
                              X