Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a non-Olympic/Worlds year, but it's interesting to see New York the week before Nationals.

With Pre on July 3, the US domestic circuit will be pretty low-key for May and much of June apart from the adidas Track Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by dl
      It's a non-Olympic/Worlds year, but it's interesting to see New York the week before Nationals.

With Pre on July 3, the US domestic circuit will be pretty low-key for May and much of June apart from the adidas Track Classic.
      Adidas may be replaced by a meet in Sacramento. I think that possibility was mentioned here. In addition, many meets are in Central and South America in May.

Because of New York why not have USAT&F limited to World Cup events? Eliminate multis and 10K, but add a 3K. Multis and 10K could be held with Marathon and Walks for U.S. Championships.

BTW because of the global recession, why not tighten the standard to World Ch "A"? In events where less than eight athletes have made the "A" make it top 8. USAT&F entry list is absurdly long.
      none

Comment

I'm told by a reliable source that Berlin's paid attendance (from a claimed attendance of 60,000+) was about 15,000. They apparently did a stunning job of papering the house. Their financial position is reportedly quite precarious, hence the not joining of the DL.

Comment

I have no inside knowledge of the Berlin meet's attendance, but the stadium was mostly full, and from a friend who was there, the atmosphere was fantastic and the crowd very loud (especially for the women's HJ, understandably).

I do know that at least in 2007, the last time I was at the meet, DKB, the title sponsor then and now, ran some sort of promotion through its local branches whereby they offered a ticket and a bus ride to the meet for a relatively cheap price, helping pack the stadium.

I don't know what that did/does to the meet's bottom line, but it made for a large, boisterous crowd and a great meet.

Comment

And now the IAAF 'claries' its intent on what 'The Circuit' is to them:

[excepted from http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072009/ ... vents.html]

The dream scenario is to have the Diamond League and then area grand prix. This pool of meetings is to have a transition system to feed into the Diamond League. Germany, long an athletics stronghold, was the most notable absentee from the Diamond League schedule after Berlin Golden League meeting organisers said they would not join. Berlin would be part of the new second tier competition.

Among the other cities being considered are
            Osaka
            Ostrava
            Hengelo
            Melbourne
            Dakar
            Belem
            Athens or Thessaloniki
            Rieti
            Kingston
            Daegu
            a location in South Africa and even Central America.

Comment

of major significance that there's no U.S. city on the TBC list for the second tier

Comment

Do I understand it correctly that this 14-cities league will replace the Golden League? Or would some of the second tier cities form a new Golden League and so on through Super Grand, Grand...
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

:shock: OH MY GOD!!!! You mean to tell me that a track that uses bad wind gauges, not to mention runs on a short track is a part of the Diamond League??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How dare the IAAF do such a thing?? I believe they need to go over there and check out all equipment used plus re-measure the track....OH WAIT, THEY ALREADY DID THAT, thats why they were a saction(sp) IAAF Top Graded Grand Prix Meet.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

Diamond League date conflict

IAAF Diamond League 2010 Calendar:
                    New York (USA) - Saturday, June 19

2010 Nike Outdoor Nationals competition is also scheduled for June 19, known for quite awhile

With both meets on USA east coast it would be nice for track fans / spectators if New York meet could be on Sunday, June 20.

Comment

Berlin is obviously underating the worth of the NACAC here and its negotiating power. They just need to take a peek at penns and wake up and smell the Atalantic breeze.

Comment

Point: America has TV
                        Point: America has tickets
                        Point: America has sponsorship
                        Point: America has ATHLETES
                        Point: Canada has TV
                        Point: Canada has tickets
                        Point: Jamaica has Athletes
                        Point: Jamaica has Sports Tourism
                        Point: Jamaica and Jamaican diaspora has Tickets
                        Point: Cuba is sleeping and is about to awake (sports tourism/athletes)
                        Point: A Doug logan model of US vs JA or a Battle Royale within NACAC is very interesting to sell.

Comment

Re: Diamond League date conflict

Originally posted by James Fields
                          IAAF Diamond League 2010 Calendar:
                          New York (USA) - Saturday, June 19

2010 Nike Outdoor Nationals competition is also scheduled for June 19, known for quite awhile

With both meets on USA east coast it would be nice for track fans / spectators if New York meet could be on Sunday, June 20.
                          I imagine that TV windows aren't so flexible.

Comment

Working...
                          X