Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Schools Vs Small Schools (advantages and disadvantages)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Schools Vs Small Schools (advantages and disadvantages)

There have been some discussions surrounding athletes and the schools they end up at (or may have ended up at IF).

Just wanted to discuss some of the advantages/disadvantages of small schools and big schools. Not necessarily pit one vs another................

There are certainly misconceptions involved when you have the discussion about big or small schools. Some folks feel the bigger the school the better the competition, you'll shine more, etc.

There are many factors to consider when choosing what school to attend or which school to accept a scholarship from. Some folks don't wanna feel like a small fish in a big pond. For some a small school is the perfect fit for them.
    on the road

Comment

Smaller Schools the athletes get more individual attention because the the teams are smaller and there are less HS All Americans on the team.

Bigger Schools have money! Bigger travel budgets, mssage therapists, chiropractors etc....

Small Schools...You're more than just a SS# or a Cash Cow for the University(Mainly Speaking about the more popular sports)
      Afrikan

Comment

Very mush so true Taliban. I think smaller schools do a VERY good job of finding diamonds in the rough, although Minnesota has done a GREAT job of that in the 400 (turning 48s and 49s into sub 46s).

The bigger schools have big budgets, state of the art facilities, trainers, ect. Although I think its very easy for a runner who is right on the cusp to get lost in the shuffle.

At smaller schools, you get alot more one on one personalized attention, ect.

Comment

Let's not forget that there are also academic and social advantages and disadvantages of big vs. small schools. A lot depends on the individual student/athlete. Some do better in big schools and some prefer small schools. I don't think there's a single right answer.

Of course, at the highest levels, you're more likely to get the coaching, training support, facilities, and competitive opportunities at the major Div I universities, which are generally large. That still doesn't mean they are the best choice for everyone.

Comment

The old saying certainly applies here " Get in, where you fit in"
            on the road

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
              Not necesssarily true if the small school has a small/nonexistent staff of assistants and the big school, including all those "graduate assistants" has a half-dozen or more. The ratio comes to favor the big school right quick, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                The old saying certainly applies here " Get in, where you fit in"
                Agreed.

Comment

....At smaller schools, you get alot more one on one personalized attention, ect.
                  Not entirely true...as a graduate of a small school (1000 students total), you get out of it what you put into it.

If you don't put anything in it, no amount of personalized attention will help get anything out of it. I had a roommate freshman year who loved nothing to do but party...didn't go to class...was always asking me to wake him up so he could get to class...then he wonder'd why his behind was on academic probation @ the end of the semester.

That's applicable to large schools as well.

As others have point'd out, you go where there is the best fit.

Comment

Re: Big Schools Vs Small Schools (advantages and disadvantag

There have been some discussions surrounding athletes and the schools they end up at (or may have ended up at IF).

Just wanted to discuss some of the advantages/disadvantages of small schools and big schools. Not necessarily pit one vs another................
                    Excellent thread, guru.

Comment

I would say "big" vs "small" is not necessarily the proper division here. Perhaps "BCS" vs. "Non-BCS" is the way to go, and even within the BCS schools there is certainly a division between resources alloted to track teams in the majority of the SEC, Big XII, Pac 10, and Big 10 vs. the Big East and ACC.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                        Not entirely true...as a graduate of a small school (1000 students total), you get out of it what you put into it.

If you don't put anything in it, no amount of personalized attention will help get anything out of it. I had a roommate freshman year who loved nothing to do but party...didn't go to class...was always asking me to wake him up so he could get to class...then he wonder'd why his behind was on academic probation @ the end of the semester.

That's applicable to large schools as well.

As others have point'd out, you go where there is the best fit.
                        Fair enough, but I'm not talking about your run of the mill students here. I'm talking student athletes on full scholly's.

I am am hard pressed to think that Jason Richardson get the amount of personal attention (coaching wise) that Ronnie Ash is recieving. Do you really think Bethune would EVER pull Ronnie Ash scholly regardless if they thought he was going pro or not???

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Not necesssarily true if the small school has a small/nonexistent staff of assistants and the big school, including all those "graduate assistants" has a half-dozen or more. The ratio comes to favor the big school right quick, methinks.
                          Any small school that has any kind of success has had some kind of staff. I see a lot of the lower level D 1 schools have grad asst. some of which are knowledgable and others who don't have a clue.

Academically a smaller is good for a student who struggled in HS because he/she can get the individualized attention they need.
                          Afrikan

Comment

I am am hard pressed to think that Jason Richardson get the amount of personal attention (coaching wise) that Ronnie Ash is recieving. Do you really think Bethune would EVER pull Ronnie Ash scholly regardless if they thought he was going pro or not???
                            You got a point there, guru.

Comment

I have a question. What do yall think of athletes going to college in their home town or in the town where they grew up?

I have seen instances where, when an athlete went to a college in the same town they grew up in, it turned out to be a disaster. I hear that may be the problem with an athlete at Baylor as we speak. But there are instances where, when an athlete have gone to a college in their hometown and it turned out just fine.

I still say they should all consider leaving town. Get away from mom and dad. Make new friends. A new enviroment can be very helpful sometimes. Get away from those thugs that you hung out with in high school. :lol: (just kidding).

But anyway, what do yall think????

Comment

Working...
                              X