Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Schools Vs Small Schools (advantages and disadvantages)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Klingon
    I have a question. What do yall think of athletes going to college in their home town or in the town where they grew up?

I have seen instances where, when an athlete went to a college in the same town they grew up in, it turned out to be a disaster. I hear that may be the problem with an athlete at Baylor as we speak. But there are instances where, when an athlete have gone to a college in their hometown and it turned out just fine.

I still say they should all consider leaving town. Get away from mom and dad. Make new friends. A new enviroment can be very helpful sometimes. Get away from those thugs that you hung out with in high school. :lol: (just kidding).

But anyway, what do yall think????
    Just depends on the kid. Some kids need to get away from home, others need to stay close to home. There's no right answer for everybody.

Comment

There is no success formula regarding big vs. little, or HS All-American vs. talented unknown, or personal attention vs. being ignored. All the cliches about large and small schools might or might not be true in relation so any athlete. I agree that it is all in the fit and there are no guarantees.

Comment

I have a question. What do yall think of athletes going to college in their home town or in the town where they grew up?

I have seen instances where, when an athlete went to a college in the same town they grew up in, it turned out to be a disaster. I hear that may be the problem with an athlete at Baylor as we speak. But there are instances where, when an athlete have gone to a college in their hometown and it turned out just fine.

I still say they should all consider leaving town. Get away from mom and dad. Make new friends. A new enviroment can be very helpful sometimes. Get away from those thugs that you hung out with in high school. :lol: (just kidding).

Trust me when I say, that wasn't the issue.

Comment

Given what led to the situation at Baylor I'd say Klingon isn't too far off base.

Comment

I think its an interesting topic but as its been said, there's no real answer....or at least no right or wrong answer.

Its different for every individual....kinda similar to a topic we discussed once on TS with regards to warm weather schools vs. cold weather schools.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
              I am am hard pressed to think that Jason Richardson get the amount of personal attention (coaching wise) that Ronnie Ash is recieving. Do you really think Bethune would EVER pull Ronnie Ash scholly regardless if they thought he was going pro or not???
              But that's an entirely different element in itself. The odds of Bethune getting "another Ronnie Ash" are much slimmer than the odds of South Carolina getting "another Jason Richardson" so you're right...Bethune probably would pour more into Ash because it benefits them to do so in terms of exposure and they don't know when they'll see someone else of his caliber.

But then you have to look at who's expense does that come if in fact Ash is receiving that much more individual attention? If he's getting all this personal attention what about the kid at Bethune trying to run the 100 or the 400 or LJ? Do they receive as much attention now? Would that same kid receive a little more attention at a larger school?

You can go in circles with a lot of questions like these because at the end of the day, it truly comes down to a case by case basis.

Comment

If you look at it, Cookman went from an unheard of at Nationals to having multiple qualifiers including 39.63 and 44.xx second relays. Garfield is doing his thing down there and the AD is supporting him. I see more to come from Cookman.

My expectation for the "Big Schools" is that they are always competetive because they have the funds to go out and recruit the best.
                Afrikan

Comment

[quote=The Klingon]
                  Originally posted by "guruof track":e03s3zxp

I am am hard pressed to think that Jason Richardson get the amount of personal attention (coaching wise) that Ronnie Ash is recieving. Do you really think Bethune would EVER pull Ronnie Ash scholly regardless if they thought he was going pro or not???
                  You got a point there, guru.[/quote:e03s3zxp]

Whooo....u went for the jugular huh guru!!!! ops: :lol:

But so true...and an NCAA champ at that...

Comment

Not trying to go for the jugular, as I understand the decision made by Coach Frye. The demands/expectations of his program are QUITE different than that of BCC.

I don't think its an entirely different element, trust me when I say MANY coaches have to make that decision whether it be a big school or small school. I don't EVER think a small school would do that though, simple becausee an Ash may be a one in a lifetime athlete at that school, where as SC has had success with NUMEROUS hurdlers, so its almost business as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower

Just depends on the kid. Some kids need to get away from home, others need to stay close to home. There's no right answer for everybody.
                      True on that one, PVP.

But in my case, I was three states away from my parents and having the time of my life. Then my dad's job transfered him 2-hours away from where I was attending school....

Comment

So what exactly was the reason Betters was kicked off the Baylor team? You guys have already dropped hints, might as well fess up.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                          The old saying certainly applies here " Get in, where you fit in"
                          Yep. I have zero reason to believe that - for example - Andrew Rock would have done any better had he gone to say, Baylor instead of going to a DIII school in Wisconsin-LaCrosse. He found a school, coach, and university that enabled him to prosper. Ditto with Symmonds at Willamette. For every scenario where we could say "He would have done great with Coach Hart!", there are other scenarios where we could say "He's very far from home", "He's stressed living up to the expectations of being a Baylor 400m scholarship runner", and so forth.

I can't say personally that I don't sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had ran track in high school, identified the talent, and went to a school that had better facilities, structure, etc. than Carnegie Mellon. On the flip side of that, I chose CMU solely for academics and I feel that I would have done the same regardless of whether or not I realized I had any kind of track potential. In the end, it's interesting to think about it but in Speed's words, I went to the school where I fit in the best and I'm happy with it. I suspect that the athletes who do find success in college do so because they found that fit, not because they went to a specifically big or small university.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
                            So what exactly was the reason Betters was kicked off the Baylor team? You guys have already dropped hints, might as well fess up.
                            vip, I have been wondering the same thing. I started a thread about this very subject on another web site, and the thread was deleted. So we might want to leave this alone. :lol:

Comment

It seems to be consistent with iaaf suspensions..............not that that means anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X