Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vols ponder "Director of Track and Field" option

Tennessee is considering combining men's and women's programs under a "Director of Track and Field" position. If that happens, I assume the job is J.J. Clark's.

Also, Aaron Ausmus, former Vol All-American putter, almost certainly will be named strength coach for the men's athletic program.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jun ... h-coach-h/

interesting

Comment

If you are the silent majority why are you speaking??

Comment

Maybe his handle refers to his thoughts, only one of which he has thus far shared with us.

Comment

I am not speaking, I am typing. Both are forms of communication though.

Comment

Originally posted by thesilentmajority
            interesting that everyone would just assume that....? I can see putting the teams together being a disaster for Mike Hamilton over the next 3 years, maybe more. These teams have won 4 national championships since 2000. 2 men, 2 women. Seems to work for Arkansas being separate as well.
            Why would it be a "disaster"? Certainly there are examples of superb separate programs, but wouldn't it be silly to overlook the successes of places like Texas A&M, LSU, Nebraska, Stanford, Arizona State, and on and on?

Comment

I've never understood the need for separate coaches in sports like track & field and swimming. Was it just something to appease the Title IX folks?

Comment

College trackk needs more than two head figures, they need MORE PAID COAHCES...PERIOD!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  I've never understood the need for separate coaches in sports like track & field and swimming. Was it just something to appease the Title IX folks?
                  Yes, back in the AIAW days of Title IX, Athletic Departments were separate and many women hired for the first time as coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                    College trackk needs more than two head figures, they need MORE PAID COAHCES...PERIOD!!!!
                    I can understand the need for more coaches, but why more head coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                      Yes, back in the AIAW days of Title IX, Athletic Departments were separate and many women hired for the first time as coaches.
                      Texas still has separate athletic departments.

Comment

Maybe they shoud combine the men's and women's basketball team at Tennessee.

Comment

Originally posted by thesilentmajority
                          Maybe they shoud combine the men's and women's basketball team at Tennessee. I am sure it would go over really well. They could save money on coaches and travel. They could make Bruce Pearl the assistant to Pat Summit. Summit should be the "director of basetball" and then delegate to Pearl what he needs to do. This shouldn't be a problem. Its the new age. Everybody would understand. More coaches could get specialized. You could even have a coach for inbound passes. One big happy family you know.
                          Your silliness aside, basketball coaches can't be two places at one time which is what would be required in order for a coach to coach both men and women. Track & Field doesn't place that type of demand on a coach. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Track & Field doesn't place that type of demand on a coach. :roll: :roll: :roll:
                            Just in the Big 10 (separate indoor champs).

Comment

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/20 ... te_co.aspx

It was silly comment, but intends to point out how differently we look at different sports. No one would dare to impose a new framework on the tradition that is Tennessee basketball. However, everyone seems to assume that the great tradition of men's track at Tennessee is an acceptable casualty of the new regime.

Comment

Working...
                              X