X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vols ponder "Director of Track and Field" opti

Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Tennessee is considering combining men's and women's programs under a "Director of Track and Field" position. If that happens, I assume the job is J.J. Clark's.

Also, Aaron Ausmus, former Vol All-American putter, almost certainly will be named strength coach for the men's athletic program.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jun ... h-coach-h/
    When J.J. Clark was interviewed after his team won the NCAA Indoor he named and thanked his staff. I think that he named and thanked Pauline Davis-Thompson and John Frazier. Is John Frazier the 1980s UCLA shot putter?
    Yes... http://www.utladyvols.com/sports/w-trac ... ohn00.html

BTW, didn't take them long to remove Pauline's pic:

http://www.utladyvols.com/sports/w-trac ... aches.html

Comment

Originally posted by texas_speed
      Uh oh!

Sooooo....who's right? Was she there or not? What kind of shoes was she wearing? :wink:
      texas_speed, JB is gon get you if you keep messing with him. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011

LOL oh boy, if this site wasn't so REP...
        What's "REP"?

Comment

Republican maybe??? I'm not sure myself...........

Comment

Re: Vols ponder "Director of Track and Field" opti

Originally posted by Gleason
            When J.J. Clark was interviewed after his team won the NCAA Indoor he named and thanked his staff. I think that he named and thanked Pauline Davis-Thompson and John Frazier. Is John Frazier the 1980s UCLA shot putter?
            Yes... http://www.utladyvols.com/sports/w-trac ... ohn00.html

Thanks for the info about Frazier. I coached him in high school, BUT he was the real coach. I did the chores that required a teaching credential, whereas he was more informed about the shot & disc training than his older teammates and coaches.
            none

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              She was fired last week!!! Trust me on this! She didn't resign.
              So?
              LOL oh boy, if this site wasn't so REP. I would go in on you!!! Oh well, I will step away from the computer..lol
              Oh, please. It's just not kosher to go spouting off about someone getting fired when it is announced as a resignation, unless you know that person really well and have the ok from them. It may make you feel great to have awesome "insider" information, but sometimes it is better to just let it ride.

Comment

I'm surprised I haven't heard Vince Anderson's name mentioned as a candidate for some sort of (high) position.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjudge
                  I'm surprised I haven't heard Vince Anderson's name mentioned as a candidate for some sort of (high) position.
                  There probably are not many head jobs that are better than the assistant job that he has now, especially with this down economy.

Comment

I hope Vince becomes a head coach someday. Just not in Knoxville.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      Originally posted by trackjudge
                      There probably are not many head jobs that are better than the assistant job that he has now, especially with this down economy.
                      But wouldn't TN be one of those few jobs, esp if it were head of ALL t&f (as this thread speculated)?

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Obviously Vince Anderson would be a great fit for coaching both programs since he has been employed by both and done well in his career. He has a dynamic personality and good attention to detail. The media only seems to say good things about him and his teams dominate. The other obvious choice seems to be George Watts since he has been there the longest and has the most ties and loyalty to Tennessee. He was a great athlete there and has been there over 24 years. He knows the program and its history better than anyone currently around and has a list of olympians who will back him. He has been a part of 3 men's national championships. JJ Clark would also be a viable option. He has shown some excellent coaching skills and seems to be a good recruiter. I think in 7 years he has proven his loyalty to Tennessee. I don't know if he has ever coached men before, as Watts has never coached women. It might be a difficult for either to make the change. I know the supervision of men and the scholarship restrictions makes it quite a bit more difficult than with the females. I have not seen a national posting for "director of track and field" posted yet. I am assuming (as the rules state) that they would have to do a national search before they could just hire someone from the inside. I think the future outcome of this whole situation appears to be more about image than about substance. A charade if you will. Although it looks like a simple plan, I think the real MO of the Administration is the ultimate combination of the athletic departments, which this would be a nice first step. The dissolvement of the women's department. One godfather. Who knows if that is wrong or right. Maybe it will be a good thing in the long run.

Comment

To my knowledge, Watts has never coached a women's college team, but I believe he has worked with some female athletes.

Comment

I don't think it makes a bit of difference who has coached what.

Just because one person becomes "Dir. of T&F" doesn't mean the person will coach both sexes. The Director's position is an administrative one, and that person would probably be head coach of men's or women's T&F, and perhaps not head coach of both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                                Why not?
                                I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to say Vince. I meant to say someone else. And I'm going to leave it at that. Vince would be great in Knoxville.

And yes: combine the ADs. Only two or three schools don't have combined ADs, but they soon will. The Tennessee women's AD is going to go down kicking and screaming, but it's going to happen. They get away with so much shenanigans over there anyhow. Like why don't we have gymnastics? Gymnastics outdraws women's basketball at all the schools in the SEC that have both sports. It makes money at UGA and Bama. We have thousands of girls in the state who participate in gymnastics in the academies. But what are we supposedly going to add? Either field hockey or lacrosse. What a joke. Why? Because Pat Summitt doesn't want gymnastics as competition for her basketball team. This is all BS. With a combined AD, we wouldn't have such shenanigans. That's just for starters.

Comment

Working...
                                X