Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thesilentmajority
    replied
    is that the wheels of change I hear grinding or is that just my stomach? What is to happen to Deca-U ?

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    Originally posted by RQ
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 19, 2009

LADY VOL MEDIA RELATIONS: Eric Trainer, Associate Director (865-974-8173/[email protected])

LADY VOL ASSISTANT COACH PAULINE DAVIS-THOMPSON RESIGNS

J.J. Clark To Begin Search For Replacement Immediately

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Pauline Davis-Thompson, an assistant coach for the University of Tennessee women’s track & field team, has announced her resignation, Lady Vol Head Coach J.J. Clark said.

“I want to thank Pauline for her time here at Tennessee,” Clark said. “I would like to wish her well in her new endeavors.”

Davis-Thompson, who coached the sprints, jumps and hurdles for the Tennessee women, spent two years with the program, first as a volunteer aide during the 2008 season and then as a full-time assistant this season. During the 2009 campaign, Tennessee won both the NCAA and SEC Indoor Championships and followed that with finishes of 10th and third, respectively, outdoors.

“I was privileged to work with great people/family at UT,” said Davis-Thompson, the 2009 USTFCCCA South Region Indoor Women’s Assistant Coach of the Year. “That opportunity allowed me to coach a World and U.S. Junior 100m champion in Jeneba Tarmoh and an indoor and outdoor SEC champion in Celriece Law, who broke the indoor school record in the hurdles. I look forward to continuing to coach champions in the future.”
    She was fired last week!!! Trust me on this! She didn't resign.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Hey tsm, sounds like you're a fellow Vol. Track and hoops different in that the teams usually participate together. At Tennessee, the M and W are together for Sea Ray, SECs, NCAAs. Sometimes, they go off in different directions for meets, but so what? Sometimes, the respective teams split themseves up for meets and they seem to do just fine. Last year, Vols split for Penn and Drake. I think field event guys went to Drake.

I don't think having one coach overseeing both programs would be bad for us. If it were the right person, it could be great. Look at Pat Henry. Or the FSU coach, even though I think that program is going to start to crumble.
    Not to mention Oregon, which has unlimited resources, and Arizona State and LSU.

Leave a comment:

• RQ
    replied
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 19, 2009

LADY VOL MEDIA RELATIONS: Eric Trainer, Associate Director (865-974-8173/[email protected])

LADY VOL ASSISTANT COACH PAULINE DAVIS-THOMPSON RESIGNS

J.J. Clark To Begin Search For Replacement Immediately

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Pauline Davis-Thompson, an assistant coach for the University of Tennessee women’s track & field team, has announced her resignation, Lady Vol Head Coach J.J. Clark said.

“I want to thank Pauline for her time here at Tennessee,” Clark said. “I would like to wish her well in her new endeavors.”

Davis-Thompson, who coached the sprints, jumps and hurdles for the Tennessee women, spent two years with the program, first as a volunteer aide during the 2008 season and then as a full-time assistant this season. During the 2009 campaign, Tennessee won both the NCAA and SEC Indoor Championships and followed that with finishes of 10th and third, respectively, outdoors.

“I was privileged to work with great people/family at UT,” said Davis-Thompson, the 2009 USTFCCCA South Region Indoor Women’s Assistant Coach of the Year. “That opportunity allowed me to coach a World and U.S. Junior 100m champion in Jeneba Tarmoh and an indoor and outdoor SEC champion in Celriece Law, who broke the indoor school record in the hurdles. I look forward to continuing to coach champions in the future.”

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Hey tsm, sounds like you're a fellow Vol. Track and hoops different in that the teams usually participate together. At Tennessee, the M and W are together for Sea Ray, SECs, NCAAs. Sometimes, they go off in different directions for meets, but so what? Sometimes, the respective teams split themseves up for meets and they seem to do just fine. Last year, Vols split for Penn and Drake. I think field event guys went to Drake.

I don't think having one coach overseeing both programs would be bad for us. If it were the right person, it could be great. Look at Pat Henry. Or the FSU coach, even though I think that program is going to start to crumble.

Leave a comment:

• thesilentmajority
    replied
    http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/20 ... te_co.aspx

It was silly comment, but intends to point out how differently we look at different sports. No one would dare to impose a new framework on the tradition that is Tennessee basketball. However, everyone seems to assume that the great tradition of men's track at Tennessee is an acceptable casualty of the new regime.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Track & Field doesn't place that type of demand on a coach. :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Just in the Big 10 (separate indoor champs).

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by thesilentmajority
    Maybe they shoud combine the men's and women's basketball team at Tennessee. I am sure it would go over really well. They could save money on coaches and travel. They could make Bruce Pearl the assistant to Pat Summit. Summit should be the "director of basetball" and then delegate to Pearl what he needs to do. This shouldn't be a problem. Its the new age. Everybody would understand. More coaches could get specialized. You could even have a coach for inbound passes. One big happy family you know.
    Your silliness aside, basketball coaches can't be two places at one time which is what would be required in order for a coach to coach both men and women. Track & Field doesn't place that type of demand on a coach. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Leave a comment:

• thesilentmajority
    replied
    Maybe they shoud combine the men's and women's basketball team at Tennessee.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    I've never understood the need for separate coaches in sports like track & field and swimming. Was it just something to appease the Title IX folks?
    Yes, back in the AIAW days of Title IX, Athletic Departments were separate and many women hired for the first time as coaches.
    Texas still has separate athletic departments.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by justblaze1011
    College trackk needs more than two head figures, they need MORE PAID COAHCES...PERIOD!!!!
    I can understand the need for more coaches, but why more head coaches.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    I've never understood the need for separate coaches in sports like track & field and swimming. Was it just something to appease the Title IX folks?
    Yes, back in the AIAW days of Title IX, Athletic Departments were separate and many women hired for the first time as coaches.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    College trackk needs more than two head figures, they need MORE PAID COAHCES...PERIOD!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Originally posted by thesilentmajority
    interesting that everyone would just assume that....? I can see putting the teams together being a disaster for Mike Hamilton over the next 3 years, maybe more. These teams have won 4 national championships since 2000. 2 men, 2 women. Seems to work for Arkansas being separate as well.
    Why would it be a "disaster"? Certainly there are examples of superb separate programs, but wouldn't it be silly to overlook the successes of places like Texas A&M, LSU, Nebraska, Stanford, Arizona State, and on and on?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X