Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Usain BOLT/ Long jump : What potential ???

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPelle
    replied
    Trivia: IAAF points give Bolt's 19,30 1.338 points. The long jump at that value lands just between 8.99m (29-6) - 9.00m (29-6,5), or approximately five cm beyond the current WR.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Watching Marion Jones long jump was excruciating. Every approach was different, every take off was from a random spot, every landing was a potential disaster. Kinda like watching a blind man drive a car - exciting but you knew that in the end nothing good was going to come from the endeavor.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    I bet that Bolt can jump 43 ft. in the long jump, come back and hit a 66 ft. triple jump. The next day, high jump 10 ft. and vault 22 ft. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This ish is getting outta control now!!!

Leave a comment:

• unclezadok
    replied
    He's built like Arthur Wint, what about the 800m? And let's not forget speed skating in the off season..

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    Long jump is not the most technically exacting event there is, but there are
    still many athletes that simply do not get the technique together. The key to a
    30 feet jump is likely to take a Bolt-ish talent and put him in heavy long jump
    training at a young age---this was the case with CL and Drechsler. Taking an
    adult sprinter and tacking on long jump training afterwards is likelier to
    result in a new Marion Jones: Individual super-jumps every now and then, but
    mostly nowhere near the quality of her sprint efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Could, doesn't ever mean will do so.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Two equally good bets: With some training Bolt could jump 30 feet. And, a long jumping Bolt is very likely to sustain a debliitating injury.

Best one-footed B-Baller ever was Dr. J.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Tom Tellez gave a technical talk to the T&FN tour group in Helsinki at the World Championships in '83 and stressed that the long jump is nothing but the application of pure speed.

I don't want to put words in his mouth from this many years out, but I'm pretty confident that he said that any runner who made the WC 100 final should "easily" be able to jump 26-feet (8m). I'm guessing that makes Bolt with very little training a 28-footer (8.50).

Leave a comment:

• nbonaddio
    replied
    [quote=Paul Henry][quote=Dietmar239]
    Originally posted by knite
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":3lnn4t04
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":3lnn4t04
    Howard for me always foot the bill as having tremendous ability for the horizontal leaps. He would just need to transfer that elevation to length.
    I would add a younger healthy Vince Carter as well
    That too.
    Could you imagine what Vince would have done in the HJ....if he had his crotch up and over that one Olympic player who was over 7-0 ft tall, imagine what he could have done training the HJ!! :shock:
    Vince has hops, but two-footed jumping ability does not always translate over to one-foot style high jumping. Oftentimes, their one-foot prowess is considerably less. Look at old tapes of Vince dunking and the times he took off from one foot are less impressive and awkward for him.[/quote:3lnn4t04]

In that case, Jordan should have been able to run right off the court and on the runway to give carl a run for his money. I've always contended he could.
    But back to Howard, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard in particular could right this minute beat Sala at a broadjump competition.[/quote:3lnn4t04]

Does that ability make Howard the best athlete in the world to you? Or is that still reserved for Clay, who scored that ridiculous measure that projected him to be a generational talent if he were to play football?

If I could see one athlete from another sport move to track just once, I would love and watch with great interest Alexander Ovechkin in the Decathlon.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry
    replied
    [quote=Dietmar239]
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":mxhwui9w
    Howard for me always foot the bill as having tremendous ability for the horizontal leaps. He would just need to transfer that elevation to length.
    That too.
    Could you imagine what Vince would have done in the HJ....if he had his crotch up and over that one Olympic player who was over 7-0 ft tall, imagine what he could have done training the HJ!! :shock:
    Vince has hops, but two-footed jumping ability does not always translate over to one-foot style high jumping. Oftentimes, their one-foot prowess is considerably less. Look at old tapes of Vince dunking and the times he took off from one foot are less impressive and awkward for him.[/quote:mxhwui9w]

In that case, Jordan should have been able to run right off the court and on the runway to give carl a run for his money. I've always contended he could.
    But back to Howard, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard in particular could right this minute beat Sala at a broadjump competition.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Originally posted by knockout
    in that case its gotta be Clyde "The Glide" :-)
    Clyde would have done well. I think Terrence Stansbury would have excelled and Michael Cooper from the Lakers could have been a potential 2.40m+ jumper with proper training. He was light as a feather, but very powerful off of one leg.

Leave a comment:

• knockout
    replied
    in that case its gotta be Clyde "The Glide" :-)

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    [quote=knite]
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":1vqcmgjw
    That too.
    Could you imagine what Vince would have done in the HJ....if he had his crotch up and over that one Olympic player who was over 7-0 ft tall, imagine what he could have done training the HJ!! :shock:[/quote:1vqcmgjw]

Vince has hops, but two-footed jumping ability does not always translate over to one-foot style high jumping. Oftentimes, their one-foot prowess is considerably less. Look at old tapes of Vince dunking and the times he took off from one foot are less impressive and awkward for him.

Leave a comment:

• The Norwegian
    replied
    I'll give him 9,69m
    celebrating the last two meteres

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    [quote=Paul Henry]
    Originally posted by "Paul Henry":b4skfwf9
    That too.[/quote:b4skfwf9]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X