Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramil Guliyev (and others...)

ok, all of y'all are getting so excited bout pickering running 10.08 (and 3 meters behind bolt) but who is this boy guliyev, who just broke national records in the 100 (10.08, non-wind aided) and 200? anyone seen him race before? any info?

He ran the 60 at the World Indoors in Valencia last year and the 200 in Beijing, so I'm sure I've seen him run, but I can't truthfully say he made any impression.

Comment

He also won silver at the World Youth Champs in 2007, and was a finalist at the WJC in Bydgoszcz - but I also have to say I don't remember much of him from there.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Noted his second place at WYC two years ago. His last year was a disappointment.

Worth noting T&F is a very small sport in Azerbaijan (much more so, I'd guess, than in the US - with a population some 1/40 of the US it's a small miracle they've still produced someone like Guliyev!). Indeed, can any of you name, off the top of your head, a current Azerbaijani T&F athlete other than Guliyev?

Comment

Current - I guess not. But in the past they had a sprinter who finished fourth in an individual Olympic final.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
            Noted his second place at WYC two years ago. His last year was a disappointment.

Worth noting T&F is a very small sport in Azerbaijan (much more so, I'd guess, than in the US - with a population some 1/40 of the US it's a small miracle they've still produced someone like Guliyev!). Indeed, can any of you name, off the top of your head, a current Azerbaijani T&F athlete other than Guliyev?
            mara ibramova a junior distance runner who ran about 15:40-15:50 for 5k a few weeks ago.

the only reason i knew that is because i obsessively look at the tilastopaja list , and when i was looking at the 2009 junior list looking for a new star probably from kenya or ethiopia, i saw one girl mara ibramova and in the column for what country she is from the initials AZE were there and those initials are so rare. i remembered it .

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
              Current - I guess not. But in the past they had a sprinter who finished fourth in an individual Olympic final.
              But not, unless my memory fails really badly, representing an independent Azerbaijan. I considered saying "non-Soviet" instead of "current", since that was the actual point. I'm sure most here remember Valeriy Sereda for instance.

Comment

I suspect Mare Ibrahimova and the recent 3000m record breaker Hayle Ibrahimov (7:51.68) are Ethiopians, bought with Azerbaijan's oil wealth. Looking at Tilastopaja, there are a number of athletes who ran in Baku on 29-30 May who are probable Ethiopians.
                All of which leaves Guliyev looking more exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                  But not, unless my memory fails really badly, representing an independent Azerbaijan. I considered saying "non-Soviet" instead of "current", since that was the actual point. I'm sure most here remember Valeriy Sereda for instance.
                  Yes, of course Aleksandr Kornelyuk (this is who I was talking about) represented the Soviet Union. And, looking at his name, he must have been an ethnic Russian (or a Slav of some sort in any case).

Comment

Never heard of the name Mare for a Soviet athlete. Ever. Though their surnames are consistent with husband-wife, their first names are not derived from the same culture.

Comment

looked it up om tilastopaja and you are right hayle ibrahimov has a place of birth in ethiopia.

Comment

Nope, not one.

Interestingly, I was looking at tilastopaja's profile of Nunu Abashidze (who I thought was from Azerbaijan) and according to tilastopaja, she's now Canadian?! :shock:
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Coincidentally, this from T&FN correspondent Phil Minshull this morning:

<<Back in February, Azerbaijan signed up five teenage Ethiopia runners. They are all born in 1990 or 1991 so they are also eligible for the European Athletics Junior Championships and they are making their debut for Azerbaijan this weekend.

As far as I am aware, none of them had represented Ethiopia in the past so there are no 'issues' over their changing nationality.

They are listed below with what I believe are their former Ethiopian names and the events they will be running in Sarajevo.

Men Former name
                          Hayle Ibrahimov (1500m, 3000m) Haile Desta Hagos
                          Tilahun Aliyev (5000m) Senbete Tilahum Worku

Women
                          Layes Abdullayeva (800m, 3000m SC) Abelav Layes Tsige
                          Gezashign Safarova (1500m) Gemega Gezashign Hunduma
                          Mare Ibrahimova (3000m, 5000m) Hurssa Mare Dibaba >>

Comment

abashidze sounds georgian, not azeri.

wasn't one of the champion soviet triple jumpers from AZ?

Comment

Abashidze was born in Ukraine. That, of course, does not mean that her parents weren't Georgians or Azeris.

Comment

Working...
                              X