• Show
Clear All

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by BisonHurdler
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by RQ
    Freeman was 23.20, 37th all time and 3rd fastest soph ever behind Marion Jones' 22.76 and Brittany Jones' 23.13
    It appeared that Freeman should have been flagged for a lane violation about 20-25m before the end of the turn.

I agree - she took several steps inside the lane line. Can't believe an official missed that.

I can. Short of NCAA's (which I've never witnessed live), pretty much every meet at every level in HS and College has athletes stepping on (and often over) lines, particularly in indoor, with no subsequent DQs (only a very slight hyperbole). When I'm in the pressbox at Penn State, it's extremely rare to have a heat in the 200 go by without someone running into the lane to their inside at some point.

But it's even rarer to see them called on it. In fact, it has been my experience that they are NEVER called on it.
    In many cases, the call is made but it's up to the referee to actually disqualify the violator(s).

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I don't think I've ever spoken NIN or NON either as an acronym or as initials. I usually refer to the Nike meet. Depending on whether it's March or June, it's pretty clear one way or the other which of the two meets I'm referring to.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    When I read either NON or NIN I mentally say non or nin. But if I were to verbally discuss these meets with anyone I would never use the acronym.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    "A NON win" sounds to me like a loss.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Strictly speaking, I would not consider NON an acronym because it's never pronounced as a word. (At least I've never heard anyone pronounce it as a word.)

(Note for mods. I'm not criticizing any poster's grammar or usage--just observing that the online acronmym finder apparently includes initials that not everyone would consider to be acronmyms.)
    It gets acronymized in the T&FN offices, but then so does WTAG! (wah-tag)

Too early to go looking, but I suspect in copy you'll find us referring to "a NON win" rather than "an NON [N-O-N] win"

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by BisonHurdler
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by RQ
    Freeman was 23.20, 37th all time and 3rd fastest soph ever behind Marion Jones' 22.76 and Brittany Jones' 23.13
    It appeared that Freeman should have been flagged for a lane violation about 20-25m before the end of the turn.

I agree - she took several steps inside the lane line. Can't believe an official missed that.

I can. Short of NCAA's (which I've never witnessed live), pretty much every meet at every level in HS and College has athletes stepping on (and often over) lines, particularly in indoor, with no subsequent DQs (only a very slight hyperbole). When I'm in the pressbox at Penn State, it's extremely rare to have a heat in the 200 go by without someone running into the lane to their inside at some point.

But it's even rarer to see them called on it. In fact, it has been my experience that they are NEVER called on it.
    But this meet was run under USATF rules, not NFHS. And some lane violations had been called.

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    Lucky for you: EPelle could have a lot of fun commenting on the spleling of
    acronmyms

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Strictly speaking, I would not consider NON an acronym because it's never pronounced as a word. (At least I've never heard anyone pronounce it as a word.)

(Note for mods. I'm not criticizing any poster's grammar or usage--just observing that the online acronmym finder apparently includes initials that not everyone would consider to be acronmyms.)

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    I was going to kid around with you until I actually did find it on the acronym finder (good for them for making it):

http://www.acronymfinder.com/NON.html

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    What is "NON"?

Leave a comment:

• RQ
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by alex26
    First two legs averaged about 47.4, 47.45 on third, and 45.87 on the anchor. Also noteworthy Brady Gehret with a 45.43 anchor on the 2nd place team. The results say Sparks was the anchor for NB but I'm thinking it was a Hendrix.
    Sparks ran either 1 or 2. Greene ran 3, and I don't know the twins well enough to vouch for which ran what.
    From the pix at dyestat, it looks like Anthony Hendrix 1st(bib number 1831 , sparks was 2nd, greene 3rd and andrew hendrix was 4th

team loses sparks to graduation...

Leave a comment:

• BisonHurdler
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by RQ

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by RQ

Leave a comment:

• alex26
    replied
    20.94 is not legit. it was a nwi hand time. NM HS sprint times cannot be trusted until the state meet. There are always some fast fingers/huge tailwinds in ABQ in the spring. His FAT pr is 21.82 I think.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by RQ
    Originally posted by ed gee
    Decathlete tries the 800...

2 Curtis Beach 09 Albuquerque, NM 1:50.75F
    Looks like Beach will be ranked in the top ten in the

200(20.94), deca(HSR), and the 800m(1:50.75)
    Wow...I am definitely impressed...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X