Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly-Ann Baptiste

She had a big PR (10.94) in Trinidad yesterday. Last month she finished fourth at the Reebok Grand Prix with the same time as Veronica Campbell and ahead of Lauryn Williams, Torri Edwards and Marshevet Hooker. Folks better not sleep on her in Berlin.

That's a big PR for her if the wind was legal. The story on the home page has no wind info, and I haven't seen wind info from that meet anywhere else.

Comment

I saw the race on the caribbean forum. She looked really good. This girl has great potential. She just needs the right handlers. I didn't care for her "kicking" style of running, but it seems like she has improved on that. She could be a factor at WC.

Comment

From memory, the wind for her race was 1.7m/s, the time is legal and is a new national record.
        Regards,
        toyracer

Comment

Tila says that is correct. She ran her heat in 11.22 with a -1.3 wind. The wind on Richard Thompson's 10.01 was +.5. Good stuff.

Comment

She ran in a +1.7 wind.

I don't see Baptist making top 5 at the WC, and that's nothing against her its just that I can't see her outrunning SAF, VCB, KS, Jeter (if she makes the team), Lee (she will make the team), Hooker (if she makes the team) or Williams (if she makes the team).

As I am looking at it now she will need to be able to run 10.8x basic to make top 5 IMHO which I can see VCB, KS, Lee, Jeter, Hooker and SAF running.

Comment

Originally posted by t_monk
              She ran in a +1.7 wind.

I don't see Baptist making top 5 at the WC, and that's nothing against her its just that I can't see her outrunning SAF, VCB, KS, Jeter (if she makes the team), Lee (she will make the team), Hooker (if she makes the team) or Williams (if she makes the team).

As I am looking at it now she will need to be able to run 10.8x basic to make top 5 IMHO which I can see VCB, KS, Lee, Jeter, Hooker and SAF running.
              No one ran sub-11 in the last world champs final.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                Originally posted by t_monk
                She ran in a +1.7 wind.

Am very much aware of that, that year was also one of the slowest winning times at the WC in recent history and lets face it, the field back then was not nearly as impressive as it is now. VCB had more or less been injured the entire year prior to that. Lauryn was also coming off a rather slow season and wasn't expected to factor at all. Torri was in fact being Torri in that she crumbled under the pressure of a final. The Barber twins were injury prone from what I recalled. Sanya opted not to run the 100, neither did Allyson. Stewart was coming off a long collegiate season. Muna was injured. CJ was just breaking out. Simpson was injured. SAF was only there as a relay runner in the heats. And I can go on and on and on....

2004-2007 to me were 'changing of the guard' period where, on the women side, things have been relatively unimpressive. I am quite hopeful and excited in saying that the new crop of females seem to have the drive, fire and competitive edge to actually make sub 11 not a novelty, but more of a requirement to be seen as a real elite female 100 m sprinter.

I would be extremely disappointed to think that 2009 WC will see a winner in the 100 m females running at the very least 10.8low!

Comment

Absolutely correct. Moreover, only four women broke 11,00 that entire season.

Comment

Baptiste can make the finals and that's all she needs is a lane, anyone can shock the world.

With not a huge amount of races being run, 10.94 in June is outstanding...!

Folks better pay attention.

Comment

For some reason I don't see Fraser having NEAR the season she had last year.

Comment

We will see....
                        For one it is just a gut feeling...
                        If am wrong so be it.... but I don't see Baptist beating SAF, KS, VCB, Lee or Jeter in a championship finals. Neither do I see her Hooker/Williams.

Comment

I would not be surprised id Fraser did not qualify, assuming Simpson is healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                            I would not be surprised id Fraser did not qualify, assuming Simpson is healthy.
                            Who do you see beating out Fraser for the fourth spot?

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                              Who do you see beating out Fraser for the fourth spot?
                              I forgot they had 4 spots...........never mind..............

Comment

Working...
                              X