Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polevaultpower
    replied
    More great camera work (the first shot, I don't even care about the bonus shots at the end of the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ntUvs5O54Y

P.S Lavillenie is fast!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I had never heard of the four miss rule ending an competition until this thread but my immediate and long deliberated opinion of the rule is negative. I assume the intent is to reduce the field quicker and speed up competition. If that is the motive, heck, make it like false starts, one miss and your are out. This would seem to severely limit opportunity to set PRs or records. Many athletes advance and competitions are won by an athlete after multiple third jump clearances.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Al in NYC
    The head on shot is easier on operators. Means much less camera movement, and no real chance of missing the shot.
    Must be a union job. Let's dumb it down for the lowest common denominator.

Leave a comment:

• Al in NYC
    replied
    The head on shot is easier on operators. Means much less camera movement, and no real chance of missing the shot.

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied
    Anyway, I don't think that Bubka has to be worried about Renaud at the moment

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    You are probably right, and the height was even better than I had remembered. Where I see the clearance as been most narrow can be best seen at 37, 47 and 53 seconds on the video link at the top of the thread (the initial run through is faster and harder to discern but gives a better appreciation of the height of hips and body).

At 47 seconds you can see that the shadow virtually intersects his pectoral muscle. A bar several inches higher is more likely to have actually intersected that part of his body and five cm (6.06) would most like have done so. Of course, a brush there would have been towards the standards and might have stayed on.

Also, on the miss, did he have the standards too deep? He might even have had them a couple of cms off in the 6.01 make? Does anyone have an opinion (PVP, O...)?

Finally, do you think that they will tweak their 4-miss rule for an event already won and replace it with the 3-straight misses for the winner?

Leave a comment:

• BCBaroo
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    If I recall correctly, BC knows a thing or two about production with cameras (OG ads).
    Hey - thanks for remembering 26mi235! That was an unforgettable experience for me. And now that I mention it - we shot Jake Arnold long jumping - TOWARDS THE CAMERA! Ha!

Of course, that was in a make-shift long jump pit we built inside a soccer stadium... and, naturally, because we just wanted drama (Jake is a great athlete, but long jump isn't his strongest event)

Longer story, we were supposed to be shooting Hyleas Fountain that day, but she was injured (or at least not up to the rigors of a commercial shoot) but Jake being the stud he is, hopped on the plane and showed up for the shoot... ready to rip. Super nice guy.

It's a sad shame that Home Depot had to drop their OJOP program.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    If you pause the feed on the replays, you can see the lowest part of the torso, the part that is nearest the bar, is at least 5 inches above the bar at his peak heigh over the bar. He misses the bar an 2 to 3 centimeters on the other side of the bar on his way down. I bet that jump is easily 6.03 and perhaps even 6.05. That jump showed he has WR potential. Regardless of whether he ever does approach it or not, that was an impressive jump and clearance and, as the thread points out, what a nice way to watch the pole vault.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by odelltrclan
    An inch or two on that clearance, yes, I agree, but the hip height shows the potential he might reach if he is able to time the twisting of his body over the bar "better" at a higher height. You have to be able to get your center of gravity to the proper height and work on the mechanics of the clearance from there. He has the height for sure.
    I am not sure that he would have made 6.03. There was good clearance on some of the body but he could have very easily dislodged the bar. You almost have to see the several views to get a clear picture, but to me it seems like he almost did not make it despite not really touching the bar.

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied
    That vault was 6.05 as much

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    An inch or two on that clearance, yes, I agree, but the hip height shows the potential he might reach if he is able to time the twisting of his body over the bar "better" at a higher height. You have to be able to get your center of gravity to the proper height and work on the mechanics of the clearance from there. He has the height for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    A good portion of his body was 6 inches above it.
    That is almost always a deceptive impression. The hips may look 6" higher than the bar, but the thighs (going up) or the chest (going down) are usually just barely clearing. Watching that slo-mo replay looked like he had an inch or two clearance in that regard.
    Zackly. 'A good portion of the body' isn't enough for a clearance.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    A good portion of his body was 6 inches above it.
    That is almost always a deceptive impression. The hips may look 6" higher than the bar, but the thighs (going up) or the chest (going down) are usually just barely clearing. Watching that slo-mo replay looked like he had an inch or two clearance in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    I'm a big fan of the fluff and the up close and personal pieces. Why even bother with the head on shots? This just takes valuable time from the more interesting back stories. In fact, I hardly watch track and field on TV these days. It's currently far too impersonal and there's way too much action cutting into the human interest stories.
    Zackly - I need more 'Jon & Kate Make 8' moments of self-discovery and introspection. I especially wish they wouldn't show more field event action - boooooring.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by Diego Sahagún
    Very nice. And that was quite the clearance at 6.01! Very impressive. Bubka needs to start worrying.
    Worrying about Renaud's 6.01 :?:
    Worrying about his record. Did you see how much height he got over 6.01? A good portion of his body was 6 inches above it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X