Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Jamaicans Run So Fast?

Front-page article on a documentary which follows Bolt to/from Beijing and beyond.

After making an overseas call to director Miquel Galofré, the two followed the sport from July of last year with the National Trials, through to the Olympics while in Jamaica and awaiting the athletes as they returned to the Norman Manley International Airport.

As the athletes wowed audiences each week, the two filmmakers hit the streets, capturing the reaction of the public and interviewing a wide array of persons, including Yendi Phillipps, Lisa Hannah, Big Youth, Etana, Vybz Kartel, LA Lewis, Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt and his family, Shelly-Ann Fraser, Melaine Walker and her family, Shericka Williams, as well as Bruce James and Glen Mills.
    Want to watch the film's trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7JgqlL-Kv4

Here is a link to the opening credits:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vnYnvrjECc

===================

Q: Why do the Jamaicans run so fast? ;-)

Why not?

Comment

I'm not sure but that question could be broadened to include the entire Carribean.

If you look at the NCAA level and even US and other foriegn athletes of Caribbean decent you'll see a remarkable trend.

Dem jokers are fast.

I believe there were at least 5 women of Carribbean descent in the Olympic 100m final and how many bloodlines in the men's final that can be traced there?

Lets exclude current Jamaican team members and take the US team for example...Sanya Richards, Kerron Clement, Natasha Hastings, etc., etc, the list goes on and on.

If you do a little research its shocking.

Dey likkle but dey tallawah.

And I acknowledge that if you go back far enough West Africa is the source (as guruoftrack pointed out before) but in the more immediate sense, the Caribbean Islands ratio of producing the world's fastest people or at least a traceable bloodline is remarkable.
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Climate, social activities (or lack there of), genetic make up...............and lets not forget those famous 'yams'

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
          Climate, social activities (or lack there of), genetic make up...............and lets not forget those famous 'yams'
          :lol:

They made Jiffy Pop fly. :shock: :lol:
          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

:lol: *can't begin to comment*

Comment

I'm guessing the question is more rhetorical than literal, but in order the reasons are:

1. genetic - that West Central African DNA is good stuff
              2. social - their culture values sprinters
              3. resources - good sprint training doesn't require anything more than the island(s) can provide.
              4. good coaching - athletic Darwinism ensures that

Comment

Jamaica is going through a golden era right now. 5 years from now we may be singing a different tune. Still its amazing how such a tiny Island can produce so many world beaters. When I visited Barbados, I asked the taxi driver why Barbados and the other Islands cant emulate the Jamicans even when you factor in the size of Barbados compared to Jamaica. And what about Cuba ? why dont they have as many sprinters ? I have a working theory that factors the origins of Cubans vis a vis that of Jamaicans. Also Brazil with 160m people, 75 times the size of Jamaica

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                  Brazil with 160m people, 75 times the size of Jamaica
                  Different DNA - Native South American mostly.

Comment

Re: Why Do Jamaicans Run So Fast?

Originally posted by EPelle
                    Q: Why do the Jamaicans run so fast? ;-)
                    Because they can? 8-)

Comment

There are only about 300,000 Bajans. That's Ft. Worth, basically, so not really fair to compare. Jamaica has 10x as many people and a DEEP Track culture. Barbados lives and breathes Cricket first and foremost. Interests help shape people.
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Also concerning Cuba, there are many factors that play into that as well. Castro, being atleast one significant factor. But they have produced WAY more jumpers than Jamaica and hurdlers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          According to stats. Brazil has the highest number of people of African descent other than Nigeria

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            According to stats. Brazil has the highest number of people of African descent other than Nigeria
                            I'd be curious to know what part of Africa most of those Brazilians orginated from. Also soccer dominates Brazil if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by knite
                              Originally posted by TrackDaddy

:lol: *can't begin to comment*
                              LMAO!!! I can't breathe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X