Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I accept the women's result, I still question it, as even one of the medalists still has a problem dealing with this race as well.

Which race, the 100?

Comment

A book on this subject, entitled Black Superman: A Cultural and Biological History of the People Who Became the World's Greatest Athletes is now back in print. Story on the front page.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        A book on this subject, entitled Black Superman: A Cultural and Biological History of the People Who Became the World's Greatest Athletes is now back in print. Story on the front page.
        Which then to me the question then becomes, why doe black folks run so fast?
        on the road

Comment

It appears from the linked article that the book attempts to answer that question.

Comment

Originally posted by usafa
            While I accept the women's result, I still question it, as even one of the medalists still has a problem dealing with this race as well.

Which race, the 100?
            Yes, the 100m's.

Comment

Originally posted by knite
              Originally posted by Paul Henry
              Per capita does not deal with the realities of one nation who's has a huge national interest in the sport of T&F with respect to another who has to deal with the sport of T&F being a 3rd tier sport.
              Probably that's why the question intimating that Jamaicans are so fast is fitting. Its not literally saying that Jamaicans are swift people and likly to be swifter than other people (the stats could be swayed either way).

Its just highlighting some things including that which you said. Its more of a metaphor to say Jamaicans really love track and do well in it for what they are worth, further to that given the current trends and maintainance of their devoted track programme, they will continue to do well for what they are worth or up to their ultimate potential.

Come on guys lets not get in over our heads. as I said , I don't think this is one of those kinds of threads. someone said it best Ja is always there at the stellar event every 4 years or every other year with creditable performances. Last year was all aces kind a hand which might be unlikely to happen again but sure to get somewhere near there again.

Just relax and make the good vibes flow.
              Who's uptight? Or making this into more than what it is?

Just making my opinion known as the next poster.

I never get the idea that this speed with JA is a "new thing"...they've been very good on the world level for a long time. Now, it might not be in the bunch as we've seen last yr, but that had more to do with the dominance of Bolt last yr than it being a ton of JA athletes overpowering the world scene. While I accept the women's result, I still question it, as even one of the medalists still has a problem dealing with this race as well.
              You just under-rated all track fans who seasonally pay their hard earned money to watch various meets and stay tuned to all foums on which they can get news about various track events by saying : "that had more to do with the dominance of Bolt Last year" if you check the history the island of Jamaica had many near miss occasions of a "Bolt Last Year" if you check the records man when all lineages are eveluated and scenarios assessed.

The statement about the lady and her dealing with it just translates to one thing : Mean spirit. You were at the helm of the charge when I commented about Sanya choking to defend her. I think that level of thinking could be extended to whichever of the girls with whom you have an issue.

P.S. I said nothing about uptight.

Comment

2008 2009
                Bolt 9,69 10,00
                Powell 9,72 10,07
                Michael Frater 9,97 10,15
                Nestor Carter 9,98 10,15
                Julien Dunkley 10,07 ?
                Marvin Anderson 10,11 10,20
                Ainsley Waugh 10,14 10,16
                Steve Mullings 10,19 ?
                Bolt 19,30 ?
                Marvin Anderson 20,17 20,15
                Christopher Williams 20,20 20,62
                Nesta Carter 20,31 20,69
                Shelly-Ann Fraser 10,78 11,15
                Kerron Stewart 10,80 10,92
                Sherone Simpson 10,87 ?
                VCB 10,87 11,04
                Simone Facey 10,95 11,23
                Sheri-Ann Brooks 11,14 11,18
                Samantha Henry 11,16 11,14
                Peta-Gave Dowdie 11,20 ?
                Aleen Bailey 11,20 11,07
                VCB 21,74 22,58
                Kerron Stewart 21,99 22,62
                Sherone Simpson 22,11 ?
                Shelly-Ann Fraser 22,15 23,44

These Jamaican athletes have in 2 months still a lot of catching up to do.
                The obvious thought: Should we change the title of the topic?

Comment

It appears from the linked article that the book attempts to answer that question.
                  Well the author of book is speaking more along the lines of the Jamaican athletes, with West African roots.
                  on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Frans Rutten
                    2008 2009
                    Bolt 9,69 10,00
                    Powell 9,72 10,07
                    Michael Frater 9,97 10,15
                    Nestor Carter 9,98 10,15
                    Julien Dunkley 10,07 ?
                    Marvin Anderson 10,11 10,20
                    Ainsley Waugh 10,14 10,16
                    Steve Mullings 10,19 ?
                    Bolt 19,30 ?
                    Marvin Anderson 20,17 20,15
                    Christopher Williams 20,20 20,62
                    Nesta Carter 20,31 20,69
                    Shelly-Ann Fraser 10,78 11,15
                    Kerron Stewart 10,80 10,92
                    Sherone Simpson 10,87 ?
                    VCB 10,87 11,04
                    Simone Facey 10,95 11,23
                    Sheri-Ann Brooks 11,14 11,18
                    Samantha Henry 11,16 11,14
                    Peta-Gave Dowdie 11,20 ?
                    Aleen Bailey 11,20 11,07
                    VCB 21,74 22,58
                    Kerron Stewart 21,99 22,62
                    Sherone Simpson 22,11 ?
                    Shelly-Ann Fraser 22,15 23,44

These Jamaican athletes have in 2 months still a lot of catching up to do.
                    The obvious thought: Should we change the title of the topic?
                    ??????? Seriously, dont tell me that you are trying to make a point with regards to the topic and all that have been written by the other posters? the topic for that post would be......

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                      Which then to me the question then becomes, why doe black folks run so fast?
                      Slavery flashback @ the risk of sounding flippant.

Comment

Knite it really was pointless to base any collective thought on Ja.'s prowess based on Beijing alone. You slapped the efforts of manynoted ja. female sprinters in the face by talking about which one of the girls is having problems now. What I would appreciate is a collective review of 100 and 200 finalists in WC and OLYs since 1984 (women).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
                          Knite it really was pointless to base any collective thought on Ja.'s prowess based on Beijing alone. You slapped the efforts of manynoted ja. female sprinters in the face by talking about which one of the girls is having problems now. What I would appreciate is a collective review of 100 and 200 finalists in WC and OLYs since 1984 (women).
                          I didn't slap them in the face, just a "understood" perspective based on the outcome AND the comment by one of the medalists who happen to be from JA.

Comment

Per capita does not deal with the realities of one nation who's has a huge national interest in the sport of T&F with respect to another who has to deal with the sport of T&F being a 3rd tier sport.

IMO, it gives a new meaning to the entire "per capita" argument. As no one can tell me that all of our best athletes are participating in the sport with respect to population.

This doesn't necessarily means that only and all the best athletes in Jamaica run track. Certainly, there may have been many Jamaica footballers with great speed that could have been great sprinters if they had chosen athletics. I don't know of any, but maybe some posters on this board may have.

One Love!
                            One Love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by onlooker

IMO, it gives a new meaning to the entire "per capita" argument. As no one can tell me that all of our best athletes are participating in the sport with respect to population.

This doesn't necessarily means that only and all the best athletes in Jamaica run track. Certainly, there may have been many Jamaica footballers with great speed that could have been great sprinters if they had chosen athletics. I don't know of any, but maybe some posters on this board may have.

One Love!
                              That is neither my insinuation either, not sure where you get that from. However, the comparison in a nation where T&F is a hugely popular sport, to a nation where its clearly a 3rd tier sport and struggling against the likes of Celebrity Poker or some bogus ishh like that, would lend to the idea that while many may participate, many never have a 2nd thought about competing in the sport. Case in point. My HS friend was All-State in wrestling and played football in the fall, he would always say "I'm coming out to join the team"...but never actually did it. However, he went on to college in DIII and went out for track and became the national champ in the 100m's in his very 1st yr, and was AA in the 200m's. I remember us speaking about if he would have participated in the sport in HS and how far it could have taken him after going 10.4 competing on the DIII level...the training, facilities, coaching, attention he would have gotten would have certainly allowed him for a possibility to a future in the sport. He's a cop now and the only medal he's putting on something is the metal around someone's wrists.....

Comment

I'm telling you its those 'yams' for the women and them 'nuggets' for the men. Its been proven. Case closed!

Comment

Working...
                                X