Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decathlete Bryan Clay on "Man vs. Beast"

I just saw a commercial for another addition of the Fox TV show "Man vs. Beast". Tomorrow night (Friday, Feb. 20th) at 9:00pm they'll be airing a new episode that'll feature US Decathlete Bryan Clay long jumping against a dog that holds the world record for longest jump (by a dog, of course). I read that King Carl (Lewis) and Dan O'brien will be doing the commentary. Anyone care to make a prediction? I know that I'm rootin' for Bryan!!!

Re: Decathlete Bryan Clay on

Who's the dog?

Comment

>> I read
      >that King Carl (Lewis) and Dan O'brien will be doing the commentary. Anyone
      >care to make a prediction? >>

Yes: it will be the worst commentary in the history of sport.

Comment

I find this sort of things appalling. And nobody lecture me about the "free enterprise", please!
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why exactly do you find it appalling?

Comment

It is degrading, it is NOT entertaining (unless, of course you find Survivor and that sort of things entertaining), it is just like WWF, roller derby. In the world of so many fake "sports", pretend "actions", this just adds to the list. You may disagree with my reasoning and conclusions, but it might satisfy your question :-)
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

In don't agree that it is degrading, but I do agree that "reality" tv goes way overboard in many cases (thank you for your input, by the way). I also don't think that this show is trying to be a "real" sport or action, it knows that it's a novelty and promotes itself that way. The main reason that I'm excited about it is that it brings positive attention to a track and field athlete (and one that I'm a big fan of). The reason that I believe that it is "positive" attention is because of the old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Track and Field is the one of the most visually stunning and beautiful sports in the world, and it has to be SEEN to be truly appreciated. Someone may READ about Bryan long jumping 25 feet (a great distance for a decathlete) in the newspaper, but unless they're a track fan already that won't really mean anything to them or do anything to draw their interest to the sport. But when they actually SEE him jumping (even if its on a novelty TV program) it has 1000 times the potential of impressing them and getting them interested in track and field. Also, if you've ever met Bryan you'll know that he's one of the most gentle and compassionate people in the world and would never participate in anything harmful or dangerous for an animal. I just hope that we can all cheer Bryan on, and be happy for his opportunity to get a little exposure for our sport (and for himself). How many "Man vs. Man" long jump cometitions get prime-time TV coverage?

Comment

This reminds me of the long jumper who jumped
                over a car on national TV several years ago.
                Does anyone remember the guy's name?

Comment

Grasshopper, I respectfully disagree. The dog is not what bothers me, it's the human. I DO think it's degrading (the flashback to Owens vs. the horse). And, no, I don't think it promotes T&F. It just occurred to me what it really is. It's a circus freak show.
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>This reminds me of the long jumper who jumped
                    over a car on national TV
                    >several years ago.

don't know, but my brother jumped over a Corvette once(many years ago !) when I egged him into it. We were both "under the influence " at the time... fortunately he made it !

Comment

>Grasshopper, I respectfully disagree. The dog is not what bothers me, it's the
                      >human. I DO think it's degrading (the flashback to Owens vs. the horse). And,
                      >no, I don't think it promotes T&F. It just occurred to me what it really is.
                      >It's a circus freak show.

Pego, circus freak show or not, the fact is nobody is paying much attention to track and field these days (unless you count steroid scandals). If taking our athletes into the center ring of a circus (as you put it) is what it takes to get people to watch then maybe that's what we need to do for a while. Like I said before, how many people are tuning in to see "man vs. man" track competitions? Pole vaulters have had success taking their sport onto the beach and city street to give the general public some perspective on their event. I don't think many people criticized Stacy Dragila for sporting a bikini at the beach vault to get herself a little exposure. A little novelty can go a long way to freshen out sport up a bit. As for the degradation aspect, Bryan is a decathlete in the US, ANY media exposure is a step up in status for him (among the general public). Remeber, in the American pop-culture one's status is almost directly proportionate to the amount of media one is given. If the goal is to raise the status of T&F in the U.S., then media exposure (other than drug scandals!) is what is needed.

Comment

>This reminds me of the long jumper who jumped
                        over a car on national TV
                        >several years ago.

HARVEY GLANCE

Comment

I am sure we'll agree on one thing. I'd prefer Stacy Dragila in the bikini to a contest against a dog :-)
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I object to Carl Lewis getting brought in to make money on a sport that he turned his back on years ago because his own ego wasn't being stroked. The killer was not showing up to the Hall of Fame Banquet becuase he was working on a movie. His 60 second part never left the editing room.

Yes, the whole premise of this is stupid entertainment, but who really cares when millions turn on crap like Survivor and the Apprentice. Anything that we can do to showcase the talents of T&F athletes is ok with me. I just hope that they allow Bryan the run up that he needs to jump and don't shorten it to suit the needs of the dog, which can accelerate faster than he can. He should do well, as Jenny Adams almost beat the dog on the Tonight Show and she was six stepping her run-up on a loose astroturf runway.

Comment

hahahaha, I almost died laughing. What a farce. The dog lands at 23' but gets credited with 27.5' because his head was up. The seriousness with which this was presented was insanely comical. Carl Lewis has been relegated to a joke. Just go run the '88 olympic race again Lewis, do yourself a favor. If he can exploit himself on this spectacle, he should at least rerun the race. Movie career? I can hear the phones ringing off the hook right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X