Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decathlete Bryan Clay on

With all due respect to MJR, Jenny Adams choked, she was not even close to the dogs. All experienced Water jumpers know that the Hang is superior. I know it is weird but that's how it is.
    Stringfellow was toying with the beasts to such a degree that I am amazed this subject comes up again.

Comment

I was channel surfing on my TV last night and came across the Man vs Beast 2 show. It was like watching a car accident scene. I didn't want to watch but could not help myself.

At a time when we T&F fans are thankful to get even 2 laps of a distance race televised I found myself staring at extensive, full, in-depth, commercial free (in the sense of the actual "competition" not being interrupted by a commeercial break) coverage of:

* A potential USA Olympic team decathlete long jumping against a freaking dog (into a lake)....the dog "won". Carl Lewis provided the commentary (how suitable!)

* A national class USA male gymnast hanging on a high bar to see if he could outlast an oranguatang.....the gymnast "won".....but the ape took a monster piss in the middle of the event which won him styple points I'm sure (Bart Connor providing the commentary.)

* A "champion" Sumoan tree climber racing up and down a palm tree against a chimpanzee (they split 1-1...I forget who the commentator was for this event.)

and my absolute favorite event....

* Four midgets/dwarfs/little people running a 330 yard "relay" against a goddamn camel!!! (The camel "won"). Dan O'Brien provided the commentary for this ridiculous event.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. The fact that Fox TV would produce such and event astounds me. But then again US television has become (always been?) programming for the lowest common denominator.

I am angered/depressed that this kind of event gets better coverage than the non-existent coverage of the US men's Olympic marathon trials.

Man, we live in a screwed up world!

The Bryan Clay and the commentators (especially Lewis and O'Brien) should be ashamed of themselves for stooping to this level of BS. Pathetic.

Oh, and apparently there was a Man vs Beast One that I somehow missed last week.

Comment

Grasshopper, do you still insist that I am wrong? (I did not watch this abomination, BTW).
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, the answer is yes and no.

After watching the program my opinion was swayed somewhat, as I was very dissappointed with the last segment of the show which was definitely degrading towards "little people" and which forced an animal to compete under a high amount of anxiety. I also thought it was kind of stupid how they over dramatized everything, acting as if the animals actually know that they're involved in some sort of competition, and the athletes are actually taking this seriously. That was a little insulting to us as the viewers.

As for the rest of the show, I thought it was all in good fun. The three other animals (the long-jumping dog, hanging oragatang(spelling?), and tree-climbing chimp) were all obviously having fun, as were the athletes. I still don't think that Bryan's participation in this event was at all degrading to his image. If anything, it gave him some good publicity (although he did "lose" to the dog because of a lame measuring system) with his short bio, interview, and training footage.

I don't understand why the poster above says that Bryan should feel "ashamed" for having participated. He took advantage of an opportunity to have some fun, get involved with the hollywood culture that he lives in (Bryan trains in L.A.), and probably pocket a little cash - all in the process of promoting the sport he loves. Don't hold the end result of the progam against him, I doubt that he had any knowledge of what other segments/competitions were being produced, or how overly dramatized it would be.

Of course, I don't know how you can comment on any of this since you didn't even watch it. When you don't contribute to the ratings that a few track athletes draw for a novelty competition, don't complain when the networks don't want to air any normal track competitions.

Comment

Everything you said I accept at its face value except the last sentence. I repeat, to me this has nothing to do with the sport of T&F and everything with "entertainment" of the sort I deem appalling and refuse to honor by watching it. Sorry.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I don't know...I kinda like seeing Bryan in a speed suit!!

Comment

Working...
              X