• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrackDaddy
    • Nov 2007
    • The Command Post

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I'm really curious to know what Muna Lee can do in the 400. Her weight, or lack thereof, has to be an advantage. I believe at the 2002 NCAA Indoor Championships, she was pressed into servive in the 4x400 in order to help secure the team championship. But I don't know what her split was. Does anyone have any 400 results for her that might help us gauge her 400 potential?
    I remember her running it in college once or twice with a respectable split/time. I also remember VCB running about a 52.x at Arkansas, I believe.

But I dont think we'll see Muna running the 400. She left Kersee I believe because of the endurance training and injuries saying she wanted to focus on the technical stuff and train at shorter distances.

Its apparent from Kersee's resume and the A&M camp that both methods work depending on the athlete.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• guruof track
      • Jul 2006
      • Somewhere btween a rock and a hard place

Muna has split 52 low. In HS I recall her splitting 53 making it look VERY easy.

However she does NOT like to run the 400 competitively.

Comment

• EPelle
        • Oct 2005

Ran 2nd leg on 2002 NCAA Indoor Championships 4x400m:
        3. LSU (Marian Burnett JR, Muna Lee SO, Stephanie Durst SO, Ronetta Smith SR), 3:35.13
        Other teams second legs: LeShinda Demus, Raasin McIntosh, Nolle Graham, Monique Henderson, Nicole Cook, etc.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by guruof track
          Muna has split 52 low. In HS I recall her splitting 53 making it look VERY easy.

A lot of sprinters hate the 400, but I would hope that she would at least be curious enough about the 400 to find out what her potential is at that distance. It's never a bad thing to increase your options. As we've found out in recent years, many sprinters have shown the ability to be competitive at all three distances.

Comment

• knite
            • May 2009

A lot of sprinters hate the 400, but I would hope that she would at least be curious enough about the 400 to find out what her potential is at that distance. It's never a bad thing to increase your options. As we've found out in recent years, many sprinters have shown the ability to be competitive at all three distances.
            Muna's not running the 400 or the 4x4. Even though she doesn't like it, she HAS attempted it in the past, she doesn't have the strength/body type to endure that type of training. Its one of the reasons she kept getting injured in the Kersee camp. And trust me, ALL of Kersee's athlete do 400m training, so if she didn't accomplish it there, she's not going to. Its not an issue with her, she's admitted that she "just isn't a 400m runner"...She is fine with just running the 100/200, and she wouldn't run after doubling up in the 100/200 and the 4x1 either...that would be too much on her still small frame. She is one athlete who may be able to prolong her career because as she get's older her body will allow for more muscle growth, adding power to the speed she has. Remember folks, she's only like 112 lbs or something in that realm. And it works for her. So you GO MUNA! I'm happy with whatever you are!

Comment

• t_monk
              • Jun 2009
              • New Haven, CT + Kgn, JA

No relay worries again I see.... Hastings, Felix, Beard, Richards seems golden apparently

Comment

• guru
                • Oct 2005
                • Deadwood, SD

Originally posted by t_monk
                No relay worries again I see.... Hastings, Felix, Beard, Richards seems golden apparently

More likely Dunn, Felix, Hastings, Richards. Hard to see Beard maintaining her current level of racing fitness late into August.

Comment

• TrackDaddy
                  • Nov 2007
                  • The Command Post

She'll be 28 in October.

Personally I dont see it happening. She's a double Olympian at the shorter distances.

And in actuality...NOT many sprinters have shown the ability to be competitive in all 3 distances.

Since the days of the great Gwen Torrence that has been rare.

Only Sanya (10.97/22.17/48.70), Allyson (10.93/21.81/49.70) and XMan (10.0/19.6x/44.5x) currently come to mind as being triple threats that could MAYBE make a world team in any of the 3 events.

Maybe Spearmon warrants a mention and Tyson showed some potential this year in the 400.

But being elite in all 3 is rare.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Speedster
                    • Oct 2005
                    • London

Its also important to note that those three's athletes best triple performances across the sprints came within one season, and two successive seasons for Felix, I got a feeling the 1992 season was the one for Gwen too. When you're hot, you're hot.

Can that be sustained across a number of seasons? Not likely.

Comment

• ILoveTrack
                      • Oct 2005

Guru,

How did you like the Kersee magic?

Clement - 400m (3rd)
                      Crawford - 200m (1st)
                      Felix - 200m (1st)
                      Harper - 100h (1st)
                      Powell - 100h (2nd)

Oh, let's not forget the automatic qualifiers in Clement (400h) and Perry (100h).

Pretty good, huh?

Comment

• Gleason
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Campbell CA

I'm really curious to know what Muna Lee can do in the 400. Her weight, or lack thereof, has to be an advantage. I believe at the 2002 NCAA Indoor Championships, she was pressed into servive in the 4x400 in order to help secure the team championship. But I don't know what her split was. Does anyone have any 400 results for her that might help us gauge her 400 potential?
                        54.1. LSU ran 3:35.13 to win the section and placed third overall. LSU won with 57 points to 43 points for UCLA. Splits: Burnett 55.0, Lee 54.1, Durst 53.7, Smith 52.3. T&FN April 2002 page 19
                        none

Comment

• jazzcyclist
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Gleason
                          54.1. LSU ran 3:35.13 to win the section and placed third overall. LSU won with 57 points to 43 points for UCLA. Splits: Burnett 55.0, Lee 54.1, Durst 53.7, Smith 52.3. T&FN April 2002 page 19
                          Good find Gleason.

Comment

• dal4018
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                            Originally posted by dal4018
                            Originally posted by knite
                            I don't expect to see any fireworks from DeDe, but its always hard to count her out as she made the team last yr off of virtually just grit!
                            Agreed Knite has she ever won a race while in front that you know of because she ever since '04 she's always came from behind to win?????
                            Dwight, DeDe won't be there, she didn't make the finals.
                            Okay thank you

Comment

• dal4018
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                              Originally posted by Speedfirst
                              Originally posted by dal4018
                              Originally posted by knite
                              I don't expect to see any fireworks from DeDe, but its always hard to count her out as she made the team last yr off of virtually just grit!
                              Agreed Knite has she ever won a race while in front that you know of because she ever since '04 she's always came from behind to win?????
                              Dwight, DeDe won't be there, she didn't make the finals.
                              LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, the more things change, the more things stay the same.
                              everyone wants to be a comic.

Comment

• Gleason
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Campbell CA

Originally posted by Gleason
                                Good find Gleason.
                                Any time. I enjoyed looking that up because I didn't know that she had ever run a 400.
                                none

Comment

Working...
                                X