Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 USATF: m400 - LaShawn Merritt 44.50

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by 2 cents
    Carter is simply not the same athlete he was in 2006. He has no chance of running a 44.53.
    You're so right. God forbid the clock should stop at 44,5 when, at 300m, Carter is 0,02s ahead of a man who ran 10,21-19,88-44,17 the same year as his 31,95.

    Comment


    • #32
      Begrudgingly, I have to join the camp of those who say that 2006 is a long way since 2009 and at this point there's nothing to suggest any great success coming X's way.

      At a time when we're pondering 43.5s up at the top of the event, not only has X never broken 44, he hasn't even broken 44.5. Indeed, he has only five sub-45s in his career, and only nine under 45.5.

      With a seasonal 200 best of 20.27 (and no 400s since a 48.20 in April) I just don't see the signs of the long expected breakthrough. The Lausanne 200 may well remain the high point of his career.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by 2 cents
        Carter is simply not the same athlete he was in 2006. He has no chance of running a 44.53.
        All due respect, who is the same athlete in 2006? It's a good thing the athletes get to show/prove it on the track.

        Everytime X steps on the track to compete in a 400m, he has a chance to run 44.53 or better, now will he, that always remains to be seen.
        on the road

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by gh
          Begrudgingly, I have to join the camp of those who say that 2006 is a long way since 2009 and at this point there's nothing to suggest any great success coming X's way.

          At a time when we're pondering 43.5s up at the top of the event, not only has X never broken 44, he hasn't even broken 44.5. Indeed, he has only five sub-45s in his career, and only nine under 45.5.

          With a seasonal 200 best of 20.27 (and no 400s since a 48.20 in April) I just don't see the signs of the long expected breakthrough. The Lausanne 200 may well remain the high point of his career.
          People are just tantalized at what could be. However, if potential were all it took, Obea Moore would be a household name. So far as the "that was then, this is now" debate, I agree. Rock was the 2006 champion and I'd personally be shocked if he runs under 46, regardless of how much I hope it happens. The difference is that X's potential is off the charts, and so many people who have seen him since LSU and before are waiting for it all to come together.

          Comment


          • #35
            Unfortunately, Rock has been consistently injured too much to be much of a likelihood for making the final, much less the top three.

            Comment


            • #36
              Many of you make the comments as if there weren't interruptions in the past 2 season of his, I do and will admit that this is a "make or break" year for him, but at that same token, this kid came back after that knee injury at US champs in '07 to finish the season with a 19.92, then last yr runs 10.00, 20low before another injury, he also had a 44.70 run after he ran the 100m's earlier in the day in '07 Reebok Inv.

              Had it been uninterrupted training and runnign I'd side with the negative thoughts, but he's still shown flashes of his ability with his abbreviated season. With that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

              Folks wrote him off after he was 2nd to Merritt early in the season in the 200m's, then they said he was gonna get smashed by the field in that Reebok 200m race, where Tyson smashed everyone, and he ran a 20.27 losing form at the ned of that race to finish 3rd behind Spearmon's 19.98(and Tyson's 19.58). Then he was suppose to be smashed in that 300m Inv race at Pre. he goes out and finishes 2nd against folks who were supposed to be in better condition than him.

              I will at least see what he's capable of this weekend and let his results speak for him. He surely has to step up, but still shows some of that talent.

              Comment


              • #37
                Well reasoned/argued knite

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by 26mi235
                  Unfortunately, Rock has been consistently injured too much to be much of a likelihood for making the final, much less the top three.
                  Oh, totally - he's second in the Nik Bonaddio Dream 400 to my 42.00 WR, but yeah, not going to happen this weekend I'm afraid. Any TSers will tell you I'm DIII like ice is cold, my allegiances are well known

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by knite
                    Many of you make the comments as if there weren't interruptions in the past 2 season of his, I do and will admit that this is a "make or break" year for him, but at that same token, this kid came back after that knee injury at US champs in '07 to finish the season with a 19.92, then last yr runs 10.00, 20low before another injury, he also had a 44.70 run after he ran the 100m's earlier in the day in '07 Reebok Inv.

                    Had it been uninterrupted training and runnign I'd side with the negative thoughts, but he's still shown flashes of his ability with his abbreviated season. With that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

                    Folks wrote him off after he was 2nd to Merritt early in the season in the 200m's, then they said he was gonna get smashed by the field in that Reebok 200m race, where Tyson smashed everyone, and he ran a 20.27 losing form at the ned of that race to finish 3rd behind Spearmon's 19.98(and Tyson's 19.58). Then he was suppose to be smashed in that 300m Inv race at Pre. he goes out and finishes 2nd against folks who were supposed to be in better condition than him.

                    I will at least see what he's capable of this weekend and let his results speak for him. He surely has to step up, but still shows some of that talent.
                    I don't think anyone thought he was going to get killed at the Pre, I think I figured he'd be in a reasonably dead heat with Wariner and a few other guys who are awkward at that distance, but well behind Merritt, which is exactly what happened. It's very possible he finishes 2nd, but the point I was trying to make is that if he does, he's finished 2nd a good 10m back of Merritt.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by nbonaddio
                      Originally posted by knite
                      Many of you make the comments as if there weren't interruptions in the past 2 season of his, I do and will admit that this is a "make or break" year for him, but at that same token, this kid came back after that knee injury at US champs in '07 to finish the season with a 19.92, then last yr runs 10.00, 20low before another injury, he also had a 44.70 run after he ran the 100m's earlier in the day in '07 Reebok Inv.

                      Had it been uninterrupted training and runnign I'd side with the negative thoughts, but he's still shown flashes of his ability with his abbreviated season. With that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

                      Folks wrote him off after he was 2nd to Merritt early in the season in the 200m's, then they said he was gonna get smashed by the field in that Reebok 200m race, where Tyson smashed everyone, and he ran a 20.27 losing form at the ned of that race to finish 3rd behind Spearmon's 19.98(and Tyson's 19.58). Then he was suppose to be smashed in that 300m Inv race at Pre. he goes out and finishes 2nd against folks who were supposed to be in better condition than him.

                      I will at least see what he's capable of this weekend and let his results speak for him. He surely has to step up, but still shows some of that talent.
                      I don't think anyone thought he was going to get killed at the Pre, I think I figured he'd be in a reasonably dead heat with Wariner and a few other guys who are awkward at that distance, but well behind Merritt, which is exactly what happened. It's very possible he finishes 2nd, but the point I was trying to make is that if he does, he's finished 2nd a good 10m back of Merritt.
                      However, let's make this clear, a loss to Merritt who is worlds number one when you are making your way back to the top is NOT a bad thing, as none of them are coming back from injury, they are coming back with medals from the Oly Games! The point is he does not have to beat Merritt, just make sure he makes the team. The better part of his season should be after nationals, and after he's run a good amount of races.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by nbonaddio
                        Originally posted by paulthefan
                        If Clement cant get into the low 44s Ill be very surprised.
                        Unless he's entered in the 390m dash, I think you're going to be surprised.

                        LOL.....agreed

                        Joe Shelton is still #1 :lol:
                        on the road

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by nbonaddio
                          Originally posted by gh
                          Begrudgingly, I have to join the camp of those who say that 2006 is a long way since 2009 and at this point there's nothing to suggest any great success coming X's way.

                          At a time when we're pondering 43.5s up at the top of the event, not only has X never broken 44, he hasn't even broken 44.5. Indeed, he has only five sub-45s in his career, and only nine under 45.5.

                          With a seasonal 200 best of 20.27 (and no 400s since a 48.20 in April) I just don't see the signs of the long expected breakthrough. The Lausanne 200 may well remain the high point of his career.
                          People are just tantalized at what could be. However, if potential were all it took, Obea Moore would be a household name. So far as the "that was then, this is now" debate, I agree. Rock was the 2006 champion and I'd personally be shocked if he runs under 46, regardless of how much I hope it happens. The difference is that X's potential is off the charts, and so many people who have seen him since LSU and before are waiting for it all to come together.
                          Obea Moore is a household name given all the inquiries about him since his prep days.... :lol: :lol:

                          Whatever X decides to do; as long as he gives it his best shot, that's all anyone can ask. It'll be great to see if he can put all his troubles of the past couple of years behind him and make a serious statement on the track.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by gh
                            Begrudgingly, I have to join the camp of those who say that 2006 is a long way since 2009 and at this point there's nothing to suggest any great success coming X's way.
                            At a time when we're pondering 43.5s up at the top of the event, not only has X never broken 44, he hasn't even broken 44.5. Indeed, he has only five sub-45s in his career, and only nine under 45.5.
                            With a seasonal 200 best of 20.27 (and no 400s since a 48.20 in April) I just don't see the signs of the long expected breakthrough. The Lausanne 200 may well remain the high point of his career.
                            I agree except for the 400. He ran a 44.94 second leg on DMR at PennR. Only two other sprinters who are entered in the USAT&F 400 ran faster. I didn't see a 48.20 in April. His last open 400 was 45.75 on Feb. 28 in Australia. IF I were his coach I would have suggested that he run 400s at Dakar (instead of 20.33w that day), Kingston, Osaka and Carson and a 200 at Belem.

                            Brooks Johnson is a successful coach, so I assume that he knows much more than I do. We'll know in a couple of days.
                            none

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Lest one not forget, he also ran 3/4 of his race distance at 42,57 pace. In a one-off on his current form, he could likely surpass 44,53 with relative ease. With rounds, it will take a bit of work and extra relaxation, but the talent and ability are both there in the here and now.

                              If Johnson is training him, that military-style will certainly push Carter to his limits. Johnson also had two of the four eventual 4x400m WR teammates at SLO in 1993 -- including Butch Reynolds, so he has a thing or three to offer the race distance.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by EPelle
                                Originally posted by 2 cents
                                Carter is simply not the same athlete he was in 2006. He has no chance of running a 44.53.
                                You're so right. God forbid the clock should stop at 44,5 when, at 300m, Carter is 0,02s ahead of a man who ran 10,21-19,88-44,17 the same year as his 31,95.
                                The fact that Michael Johnson ran 31.95 in easily winning a 300 means nothing in relation to Xavier Carter, who was left in the dust in his effort. Please tell me your thinking is not so rudimentary. Quincy Watts only ran 32.07 in 1993, the same year he ran a 44.13. By your "reasoning," I guess you'd have Carter under 44. Give me a break.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X