Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [quote="TDB"
    He finished 3rd at the Trials in 2007 but got injured in the first round of the World CHampionships, which sux cuz he woulda been on the relay and coulda got a medal[/quote]
    Larry DNFed the 2007 Pan American Games 400 final and didn't run the 4x400 there a month before WCh. I don't know if he was "injured" or exhausted from the long college season when he DNFed his heat at WCh.
    none

Comment

• You may be accurate, but we will only know when Felix runs 400 at USAT&F. Clement isn't as succesful at 400 as Felix is and he finished third. Felix had no reason to avoid the 400 because she looked worse in her 100 semi than she would have in the 400 IMHO.

I suspect that she is insecure about other events. She had no reason to run the 200 at USAT&F in 2007 & 2009, but I think she needed a victory. She could have used the same energy to run 100 at WCh, but she may have been afraid to finish last in the final. I hope that a career with potential greatness doesn't become just "good."
      none

Comment

• Gleason, can you please demonstrate in no uncertain terms how Felix avoided contesting the 400m? Furthermore, take a moment to ponder why an athlete like Felix may contest her primary event at a national championship, leaving the rankings out of the equation.

Comment

• Originally posted by EPelle
          Gleason, can you please demonstrate in no uncertain terms how Felix avoided contesting the 400m? Furthermore, take a moment to ponder why an athlete like Felix may contest her primary event at a national championship, leaving the rankings out of the equation.
          She was entered and scratched. Clement ran 400 and placed third. Clement made the right move because now we know how he can handle rounds at 400. We don't know if Felix can handle rounds at 400.

El G failed to win 1500 at 1996 & 2000 OG after winning 1997, 1999, 2001 & 2003 WCh so he developed a backup event--5000. Felix won two WCh, but lost two OG at 200, so 400 could be her backup event.
          none

Comment

• Wouldn't contesting 400m hurdles, a much more difficult race that the 400m, already have demonstrated that Clement, who set his 47,24 in the national championships in 2005, could handle 400m rounds at much less the effort than was requested of him? Comparing the 400m/400m hurdles man -- who also happened to set a 400m world indoor record -- to Felix, a short sprinter, isn't comparing two like situations.

Regarding Felix's 200m, she stated ahead of the adidas Track Classic that she wasn't sure where she was at in her 200 metres ... she hadn't done too much speed work and felt like her 400 metres was decent - though nothing spectacular.

Following adidas, Felix stated: "The speed was not there today. We still have to get to speed work, so I knew it wasn't going to be anything fantastic but it shows where I really need the work"

Now that she had gotten a little more speedwork between then and USATF, she stated that she wanted high-level competition before the the world championships. She got it. Her response: "I felt this was a steppingstone. I've got a lot more work to do."

The 400m wouldn't have added to her speed dimension -- something she was working on with running 100m ahead of 200m -- precisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by EPelle
              Wouldn't contesting 400m hurdles, a much more difficult race that the 400m, already have demonstrated that Clement, who set his 47,24 in the national championships in 2005, could handle 400m rounds at much less the effort than was requested of him? Comparing the 400m/400m hurdles man -- who also happened to set a 400m world indoor record -- to Felix, a short sprinter, isn't comparing two like situations.
              Regarding Felix's 200m, she stated ahead of the adidas Track Classic that she wasn't sure where she was at in her 200 metres ... she hadn't done too much speed work and felt like her 400 metres was decent - though nothing spectacular.
              Following adidas, Felix stated: "The speed was not there today. We still have to get to speed work, so I knew it wasn't going to be anything fantastic but it shows where I really need the work"
              Now that she had gotten a little more speedwork between then and USATF, she stated that she wanted high-level competition before the the world championships. She got it. Her response: "I felt this was a steppingstone. I've got a lot more work to do."
              The 400m wouldn't have added to her speed dimension -- something she was working on with running 100m ahead of 200m -- precisely.
              We know many examples of OG champs in their second event--one reason for Felix to run 400 at USAT&F. You proved my point that Clement is easier to predict as a 400 rounds runner. Felix hasn't proven her ability to run rounds. She has two WCh 200 wins, so 2009 win would prove nothing--except that Felix is insecure because she scratched USAT&F 400.
              none

Comment

• Originally posted by Gleason
                We know many examples of OG champs in their second event--one reason for Felix to run 400 at USAT&F.
                Yet, Gleason, Felix's second event is the 100m -- one she won California state titles in as well as the 200m and ran 11,29 her grade-12 season. Why dismiss the obvious, that Felix already has a second event, the 100m, and was working on her speed -- unless it is to simply go on about some lack of confidence you've made up?

You proved my point that Clement is easier to predict as a 400 rounds runner.
                Gleason, your point was that Clement (the hurdler), ran 400m and placed third after running rounds, therefore Felix should also have run the 400m and perhaps found similar success. If Clement is already an established 400m runner - I believe the title of world indoor record-holder would kind of be an obvious here, what does it benefit you to state what is already obvious? It didn't take any imagination to state that "Clement made the right move because now we know how he can handle rounds at 400." I don't suppose there is anyone here who would have thought otherwise before he ever stepped on the track for his first round.

Felix hasn't proven her ability to run rounds. She has two WCh 200 wins, so 2009 win would prove nothing--except that Felix is insecure because she scratched USAT&F 400.
                Perhaps being up past midnight has blurred your vision. Please re-read what Felix, herself, stated up to - and including - sprinting at USATF. And, furthermore (and finally), it is categorically false to state that Felix doesn't have proven ability to run rounds.

Comment

• Felix has not proven her ability to run rounds at 400.

Clement WAS much closer because of his running rounds at 400 indoors and 400H. That is why Felix would have benefitted from running 400 at USAT&F.
                  none

Comment

• It is interesting that some people (not myself) expected Xavier Carter to run a fast 400 here, and many consider it to be disappointing that he did not, and yet there was an athlete in the final here who ran 400 meters in 44.27 at the ripe old age of 22 in 2005 who did not come close to finishing in the top 3 here, and it appears that virtually nobody wonders why, or expresses disappointment, or questions his desire, or even mentions his name.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2 cents
                      It is interesting that some people (not myself) expected Xavier Carter to run a fast 400 here, and many consider it to be disappointing that he did not, and yet there was an athlete in the final here who ran 400 meters in 44.27 at the ripe old age of 22 in 2005 who did not come close to finishing in the top 3 here, and it appears that virtually nobody wonders why, or expresses disappointment, or questions his desire, or even mentions his name.
                      I fear that "X-Man" is under raced because he ran 66 races in 2006, but has run only 48 races in 2007, 2008 & 2009 combined. He broke 45 for the first time in his 50th race, his 100 & 400 PRs were in his 57th and 58th races and his 19.63 was in his 61st race. Only his 100 PR of 10.00 in 2008 is a new PR.

I hope that his team isn't limiting his races to drive his $ value up. He has only run 20.27 (20.09w) and 45.55 this year, so his value is low. I think that he should run every race in Europe (preferably 100/200 or 100/400 in every meet)that will take him and forget about $ beyond expenses until he breaks 20 & 45.

Williamson has gone from 44.27 (2005) to 44.88 (2006) to 44.68 (2007) to 45.16 (2008) to 45.63 so far in 2009. His 200 PR of 20.8 is slow and he has only run 21.4 this year. His relay time of 44.25 at PennR this year is superb, but his 7th place finish at USAT&F puts him out of the pool. I think that Williamson has gotten the most out of his ability. With the global recession I doubt that either of them will be a full time pro for long absent a sub-45 soon.
                      none

Comment

• Why does a runner have to be in the top six to be on the relay? Certainly AF will be included? They can probably take anyone that they want, although there may be some constraints on having qualified for the meet.

Comment

• The rule was changed a few years ago to add any member of the team. In 2007 Felix was on the 100 & 200 team, but ran 4x100 & 4x400. In 2008 she was only on 200 team & ran 4x400. Many 400 hurdlers run on 4x400. Demus ran 49.38r at 2006 WCup.
                          none

Comment

Working...
                          X