Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Claye Turning Down a Near Guaranteed Trip To Berlin WC?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Claye Turning Down a Near Guaranteed Trip To Berlin WC?

If I am reading the entry list correctly the only two people with an A in the TJ are Brandon Roulhac and Walter Davis. Davis has not jumped well so far this year. Unless Walter Davis suddenly jumps well odds are Will Claye would have beaten him. Bell and Boutte have the B. So by not competing Claye has decided to pass up a trip to Berlin that would have only not happened if two people beside Roulhac had beaten him and then also managed to go 17.10. Am I looking at the facts correctly? Not really trying to say whether the decision is right or wrong just trying to get the facts straight.

Sooner coaches don't want to push too much on him too soon. Remember, just a week ago he was still only 17!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Sooner coaches don't want to push too much on him too soon. Remember, just a week ago he was still only 17!
      I can't buy that. He obviously has mastered the technique, so all he needed was some active rest in the 2 weeks between NC and USA and he could have jumped. The experience would be invaluable for the future. At the first sign of any problem, they could've packed it in, but I would have told him him to go ahead and begin the competition. Now, if he's picked up a niggling injury along the way, that's a wholenuther story. Shutting it down now would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Too much? for a jumper, that shouldn't be held back. he was VERY commanding in his efforts this yr on the collegiate scene, after having won the NCAA title, would he have to win 6 more just to "be ready". My thoughts are that only and only if he is healthy and mentally ready/relaxed, he should compete for the experience, but just not have major goals placed on him. Some folks never get another chance at competing at this level, and might need to jump at the chance when they can.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Wow. that's almost Luke Verbizakaaksksa's age... and he'sa "high school freshman"

Nonetheless...studliness...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            And still looks 16.. not that that is a bad thing... very quiet, polite young man although he does like the crowd clap. I still marvel at how he does six LJ and six TJ in an afternoon and it seems like his sixth jump, if necessary, is frequently the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by gh
              I can't buy that. He obviously has mastered the technique, so all he needed was some active rest in the 2 weeks between NC and USA and he could have jumped. The experience would be invaluable for the future. At the first sign of any problem, they could've packed it in, but I would have told him him to go ahead and begin the competition. Now, if he's picked up a niggling injury along the way, that's a wholenuther story. Shutting it down now would be fine.
              Keep in mind...a still maturing 18 year-old competing against a lot older, more season jumpers @ a WC (w/ it's qualifying round & final) is a lot more demanding than an Big 12/NCAA Championship.

While there's no doubt young Mr. Claye could possibly do well in Berlin, obviously he and his coaches have a different approach in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                Originally posted by gh
                Keep in mind...a still maturing 18 year-old competing against a lot older, more season jumpers @ a WC (w/ it's qualifying round & final) is a lot more demanding than an Big 12/NCAA Championship.

While there's no doubt young Mr. Claye could possibly do well in Berlin, obviously he and his coaches have a different approach in mind.
                I do understand having a different approach, but its also not like he's going pro. And doesn't ahve to worry about XC season. He can have "down time"m but again, it all depends on his own mental capacity toward competition. Either way, they know what;s best for him so they are WELL within their rights.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  The "pushing too much" is a mental thing,not physical.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by gh
                    That's exactly where I was coming from!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      If, for ANY reason, Claye balked at going, I'd agree and say, 'great season; let's pack it in while we're still ahead.' But if Claye was neutral or positive about going, I'd say, 'Hey, nothing to lose; go for it!' The very fact that he's not going indicates to me that he probably wanted to pack it in himself. It's been a long season already.

Comment

If he wanted to pack it in after the NCAA's, why is he competing in the USATF Juniors?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          If he wanted to pack it in after the NCAA's, why is he competing in the USATF Juniors?
                          a. didn't know that ops:
                          b. very little to lose, not that he would.
                          c. Seein' as how he'll be there for the same meet, different time, it does seem odd.

Comment

Only weird on Planet Marlow. Maybe Little League syndrome is the norm there.

You've got a barely-18 kid who whirlwinded his way out of an early HS graduation into collegiate competition, and in the course of less than 6 months was in 8 LJ competitions and 11 TJs, all against "men."

It's a no-brainer to let the kid compete against his own (no, wait, there'll be lots of guys younger than he in the Juniors!) rather than stepping up against the pros.

Comment

He's probably just focusing on Pan Am Juniors.

Even if he made it to the World Champs as a senior athlete, how likely is he to medal there?

It's good for him to take advantage of dominating the junior scene while he is still young enough. He can compete at Juniors, win even if he has an off day, go to Pan Am Juniors, and win even if he is not 100%. The pressure is low in those situations.

Competing at Worlds would be a whole new level of pressure, and his coaches obviously don't think that is in his best interest. I think they know best!

Comment

Working...
                              X