Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Finnish news (NC results - Ruuskanen 87.79)

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    Finnish NCs were held this weekend in Lahti. Highlights below...

mJT:
    1. Antti Ruuskanen 87.79
    2. Ari Mannio 84.62
    3. Tero Pitkämäki 83.48
    With respect to the medalists' average result, these NCs were perhaps this year's highest-level javelin competition.

Comment

How can you compete in two different national championships in T&F?

Comment

• Re: Finnish news (Åstrand 20.72 NR)

Some nice Finnish results from a FIN-SWE-NOR triangular match in Växjö (Sweden):

m200:

1. Jonathan Åstrand 20.72 (indoor NR)
        2. Nil de Oliveira SWE 21.21

Previous indoor NR was 21.13 by Tommi Hartonen, so that was quite an improvement! Åstrand didn't look that sharp in the 60 but his endurance seems to be up. Let's hope he can break the outdoor NR (20.47) as well

w200:

1. Hanna-Maari Latvala 23.30 PB
        2. Irene Ekelund SWE 23.57

Better than her outdoor PB, too. In addition, Ella Räsänen only lost to European Champion Moa Hjelmer by 0.02 in the w400 (though the time wasn't that great at 53.52), so it looks as if there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel for Finnish sprinting

I just hope it's not an oncoming train...

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
          How can you compete in two different national championships in T&F?
          The US has allowed foreign athletes in their National Championship meet.

Comment

NCs this weekend. An awful lot of very fast reaction times (even below 0.100) in the sprints; they blamed their new silent gun system, but I can't help wondering if that really explains everything.

Nooralotta Neziri set a new NR in the w60m hurdles of 8.07 in the heats before being DQ'd (false start) in the final. Ella Räsänen followed up on her good performance at Växjö with a 52.99 iNR and a 23.67 iNJR, so it seems she's progressing again after a couple disappointing years The only world-class mark was Eero Haapala's 803 in the long jump; he'll likely be our lone medal hope at the Euro Indoors. I just hope he qualifies for the final, he's had an ugly tendency to get his best marks in 5th and 6th rounds this year...

Since Eleriin Haas won another Finnish championship today I should probably elaborate. She's a citizen of Estonia but has permanent residence in Finland and represents a Finnish club, which means she (or rather, her club) can apply for an eligibility permit. Obviously, as an Estonian citizen she's also eligible for the championships of that country

Full results here.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
              NCs this weekend. An awful lot of very fast reactions times (even below 0.100) in the sprints; they blamed their new silent gun system, but I can't help wondering if that really explains everything.
              The reaction times of Jussi Kanervo are illustrative:
              60m (heat): 0.102
              60mh (heat): 0.107
              60mh final: < 0.100 => DQ
              4x200m: < 0.100 => DQ

Comment

Given the distributions that you have published, I am assuming that the mechanism has a lag of 0.05 - 0.07 seconds.

Comment

Little less, I would say, (in absence of any sort of analysis), maybe 0.03-0.04.

Comment

• Re: Finnish news (no news is bad news)

This year's first bigger Finnish meet, the Elite Games opener at Joensuu, wasn't particularly brilliant. There were a couple nationally decent marks but that's it.

mJT:
                    1. Teemu Wirkkala 82.38
                    2. Lassi Etelätalo 80.39
                    3. Keshorn Walcott TRI 78.90

None of them really looked like 85+ throwers; Walcott's 2nd best was 75.82, and Etelätalo can probably add a couple meters on a good day, but in this shape I don't see any of these scaring Pitkämäki, Veselý, Tarabin etc.

(Apropos of nothing, a note on Tarabin. He's now married to Abakumova, and apparently encouraged her not to retire after a disappointing Olympics. He's seemed to be in good shape this year so far, with two meets at 85+ and a worst meet of 81.11 - where he still beat Veselý and Mannio. He might well be a factor at Moscow, and certainly at Euro U23s if he bothers with those. He's come a long way since representing Moldova at the 2007 World Youths...)

mSP:
                    1. Leif Arrhenius SWE 20.21
                    2. Tomas Söderlund 18.08

Arrhenius had a bad first throw but looked good after that; he got that 20.21 twice and his last foul was somewhere around 20.60-20.70. Our shot level has really sunk in the last dozen years

m1500:
                    1. Cameron Page AUS 3:38.27
                    2. Collis Birmingham AUS 3:38.44

mLJ:
                    1. Eero Haapala 771w (+2.8)

wSteeple:
                    1. Sandra Eriksson 9:48.58

Full results here.

Comment

• Re: Finnish news (Mannio 84.65; Pichardo 17.15)

Highest-quality Paavo Nurmi Games in quite a few years; I guess the organizers found some extra $$$. Unfortunately I had to be content with watching the action on TV.

mJT:
                      1. Ari Mannio 84.65 SB
                      2. Teemu Wirkkala 82.91 SB
                      3. Julius Yego KEN 81.79 SB
                      4. Tuomas Laaksonen 81.73 PB
                      5. Guillermo Martínez CUB 81.30
                      6. Zigismunds Sirmais LAT 80.89

The conditions were good; the wind whirled a bit but was mostly helpful. Somewhat disappointed with Martínez. Huge PB for 2007 World Youth Champ Laaksonen (previous PB was 75.21)... but it was just one throw where he nailed it and got some help from the wind, so I wouldn't call it a breakthrough yet.

mJT:
                      1. Pedro Pablo Pichardo CUB 17.15 (-0.2)

Only took 2 jumps. I don't think he had injury problems or anything - just got a satisfactory result, and having no real opposition (Aleksi Tammentie was 2nd with 15.71) there was no danger in skipping the last four rounds.

mHT:
                      1. Oleksiy Sokyrskyy UKR 75.83
                      2. Szymon Zió?kowski POL 74.54
                      4. Olli-Pekka Karjalainen 70.15 (season opener)

Sokyrskyy had a super-consistent series, with five throws at 75+ and the sixth at 74.34. Unfortunately Karjalainen will likely never get back to top form

mLJ:
                      1. Eero Haapala 790 (+1.8)
                      2. Elvijs Misans LAT 785

m400:
                      1. Nigel Levine GBR 46.44

m400H:
                      1. Omar Cisneros CUB 49.93
                      2. Richard Yates GBR 50.95

m5000:
                      1. Cameron Page AUS 13:29.50 (54-second last lap)

wDT:
                      1. Yarelis Barrios CUB 61.11

wSteeple:
                      1. Gülcan M?ng?r TUR 9:45.80
                      2. Gulnara Galkina RUS 9:47.38

The windy conditions probably hurt the times, but neither of them looked like a big-time contender.

wPV:
                      1. Minna Nikkanen 445 SB
                      2. Anastasiya Kiryashova RUS 435
                      -- Yarisley Silva CUB NH

Silva missed three times at 425. Easily the biggest upset of the day.

w200:
                      1. Hanna-Maari Latvala 23.70 (-2.2)

In other news, there was a Youth/Junior Elite Games meet a few days back at Janakkala. Most of the results weren't very inspiring, but the boys' 700g javelin was OK:

1. Miro Määttänen (96) 79.94 PB/WYL
                      2. Oliver Helander (97) 78.28 PB

Unfortunately, neither of them has yet shown any consistency at this level; we'll just have to hope they get it right at the World Youths.

Comment

• Re: Finnish news (Rollins 12.47w, Semenya 2.04.48)

Some nice results at the Lapinlahti Elite Games today:

m100:
                        1. Marvin Bracy USA 10.09 PB (+1.8)
                        2. Igor Bodrov UKR 10.33

mLJ:
                        1. Zarck Visser RSA 819 (+1.0)
                        2. Godfrey Mokoena RSA 801 (+1.5)
                        3. Tommi Evilä FIN 801 (+1.4)

Visser was really consistent, with four jumps at 8+ (the other two, both fouls, were much shorter - it seems fouling messes up his technique). Evilä kept fouling his jumps and only got a good result in the last round; while encouraging, it isn't a WC standard and it's unlikely he'll get this kind of conditions again before it's too late. (Eero Haapala has the B from indoors, so we can send him; unfortunately, he's currently injured and it's unclear if he'll be back in time for Moscow.)

mJT:
                        1. Sampo Lehtola 81.67
                        2. Antti Ruuskanen 81.57
                        3. Ari Mannio 80.62
                        4. Sam Humphreys USA 77.62

Lehtola giving selectors some headaches again! He'll have to repeat this at the NCs next weekend to have any chance of being selected though, and preferably get the A there; he doesn't have the consistency of Ruuskanen and Mannio yet.

m100h:
                        1. Jeff Porter USA 13.52

Worth mentioning mostly for the performance of T&T's Mikel Thomas, who was still in the lead at hurdle 10 despite knocking down almost all of the previous nine. He ran right into hurdle 10, broke it (been a while since I've seen that happen!) and crashed into the track :twisted:

w100h:
                        1. Brianna Rollins USA 12.47w (+2.4) (legal 12.65 in heats)
                        2. Vashti Thomas USA 12.99
                        3. Jackie Coward USA 13.04
                        4. Nooralotta Neziri 13.05

Neziri's time would be both a national record and a B standard... except Rollins looked awesome.

w100:
                        1. Tori Bowie USA 11.32 (+1.1)
                        2. Cleo VanBuren USA 11.35
                        3. Hanna-Maari Latvala 11.36 =PB

w800:
                        1. Caster Semenya RSA 2:04.48

She was supposed to try for a WC standard of some kind, but again ran only to win. (The esquilax went nuts in the first 200 so it's probably just as well she wasn't following.) Her finish looked more like the normal Semenya though, moving from 6th to 1st in the last 150 with ease; I think she's coming back to shape, but may not be in time for the World Champs.

Full results here.

Comment

Appreciate the results and the detailed notes on performances. And the use of "esquilax."

I am wondering about Semenya's progress, such as it is, toward a WC qualifier but as that isn't really "Finnish news," perhaps I'll post it on the outdoor results 2013 thread. I guess she has about a week (29 July) to get a qualifying time.

Comment

I have pretty much given up trying to figure out the w800m runners. Some of them are so up and down, how is anyone supposed to know what is going on with them?

Comment

When I go to a Finnish news thread, I think of the distance running tradition. It's sad that, with their 'great cloud of witnesses', the pantheon of Finnish medalists and WR setters, today's generation(s) seems to have abandoned the pursuit of the top tier of 1500 and up racing.

Maybe a Fin can shed a little light. Where are Gen whatevers born 1985 and later? Where is the next Nurmi, Viren, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by pickle47
                                When I go to a Finnish news thread, I think of the distance running tradition. It's sad that, with their 'great cloud of witnesses', the pantheon of Finnish medalists and WR setters, today's generation(s) seems to have abandoned the pursuit of the top tier of 1500 and up racing.

Maybe a Fin can shed a little light. Where are Gen whatevers born 1985 and later? Where is the next Nurmi, Viren, etc?
                                Both lapsus and I weighed in on that in this thread; the short version is that there are a zillion reasons, many of which we didn't have the energy to mention.

We do still have talents now and then. Oona Kettunen just won two medals at the Euro Juniors, including a gold in the wSteeple. But those talents are few and far between and we lose too many of them to injuries, life outside sports, what have you; too many of them simply quit or stop developing after a certain point. That point is the one where they're supposed to become more independent, somehow manage to support themselves, study something or other and still keep life worth living; without a system like the NCAA to support you, it's extremely hard to fit sports into that equation. It's doable, sure, but it stretches you and involves risks many don't feel like taking. In USA talented athletes aged 18 to 22 become world class; up here talented athletes aged 18 to 22 become plumbers and make T&F their #6 priority. This is particularly true of females - if you look at our youth teams they have boys and girls in roughly equal numbers, but if you look at our WC/OG teams there are very few women.

And when it comes to long-distance running, the talented young athletes who have to decide whether to keep running a priority in their lives see a world top full of Kenyans and completely devoid of FInns, which isn't really inspiring. A look at the world top in say XC skiing or orienteering will give a quite different message.

Comment

Working...
                                X