X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texas_speed
    replied
    World Championships Relay Team Selection Policy

USA Track & Field may enter a maximum of six (6) athletes on each relay team, which includes the men’s and women’s 4x100m and 4x400m, for the 2009 World Championships. USATF must include their 3 entrants in the 100m and 400m, as well as their alternates in these events, as part of their relay team entry. The remaining two (2) relay team members who will be selected for each relay team will be chosen according to the procedure outlined below.

Relay Pool
    USATF will name 4x100m relay and 4x400m relay pools for both the men and women consisting of 6-10 athletes per relay pool in the week immediately following the U.S. Outdoor Championships. This pool will consist of the individuals selected to represent the USA in the 100m and the 400m, the alternates in the 100m and 400m, as well as other athletes who have qualified for the World Championships team roster. Athletes that participate in the USA Outdoor Championships, but who do not qualify for the team in an individual event, are eligible to be selected to the relay pool. Relay pool members will be nominated by the Men’s and Women’s Head Coaches for the World Championships, with final approval by USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance. Athletes will be notified of their selection to the relay pool by e-mail no later than July 6, 2009.

Please take careful note of the following:

* Being selected for the relay pool does not guarantee an athlete a position on the relay team. Athletes selected for the relay pool who are not entered in an individual event and are not selected as a member of the relay team on August 3, 2009 will not travel to Berlin for the World Championships.
    * An athlete must compete in the USA Outdoor Championships in order to be eligible for the relay pool, except in emergency situations where a waiver based on medical or exceptional circumstances may be given by USATF, at its discretion.
    * To be eligible for the 4x100m relay pool athletes must sign a relay agreement requiring them to participate in two international relay events prior to the World Championships. Those pre-World Championships international relay events are as follows:
    1. London Grand Prix – July 24/25
    2. TBD- during training camp period

Relay Team

The members of the men’s & women’s 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams will be announced on or just prior to August 3. The World Championships Head Coaches, in conjunction with USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance, will make the final selection. Athletes will be notified by email of their selection on August 3.

Final entries for the World Championships, which will contain the six (6) members, each, for the men’s and women’s 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams, are due to be received by the IAAF no later than August 3rd. The six (6) athletes entered as the relay team plus any athlete on the World Championships roster is eligible to compete on the relay. The athletes selected to run in each round and the order in which they will run will be determined by the World Championships Head Coaches with final approval by USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance the day after the relay training camp. Being entered as a relay team member does not guarantee that an athlete will participate in the relay. If an athlete(s) were to become injured, have personal issues, etc. that would keep them from being able to compete on the relay team, USATF may then name any athlete who is a member of the 2009 World Championship team to replace that athlete(s).

To be eligible for the relay team, athletes must sign an agreement requiring them to participate in the pre World Championships training camp to be held as follows in Berlin:

* 4x100m training camp – August 7-9
    * 4x400m training camp – August 9-10
    So if Dix is expected to be healthy by Berlin he could be nominated to the pool....????

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Re: relays

[quote="justblaze1011"
    This guy is .99 faster than him, this guy is 1.99 faster this dude...WHO CARES!!! None of that matters as long as your coach got you ready I.E. Dixon in 2007.
    And stop talking if you don't know what you are speaking of because Crawford didn't run in 2008 Olympics...THAT WAS PATTON TO GAY!!![/quote]
    My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
    Don't forget Nesta Carter folks.

He was injured at the JA trials last year and came back strongly towards Beijing where he was put on the relay and rightfully so.

The only 3 spots that are "guaranteed" so far I think is Bolt, Asafa and Frater.

Based on how Mullings, Carter, Yohan and Anderson are running leading up to Berlin, anyone of those guys could be put in the finals of the mens 4 x 100m.

You always want you best team for the relays.
    Carter wasn't injured last year. He ran at trials but just did not qualify, I believed he got disqualified for a semi for false starting I believe. And his inclusion in the squad was a no brainer because we literally had ONLY four decent, consistent runners. This year is far far different with there being Bolt and Asafa + Frater + 4 or 5 other about equally ranked athletes.

Leave a comment:

• jamaicantrackfan
    replied
    Don't forget Nesta Carter folks.

He was injured at the JA trials last year and came back strongly towards Beijing where he was put on the relay and rightfully so.

The only 3 spots that are "guaranteed" so far I think is Bolt, Asafa and Frater.

Based on how Mullings, Carter, Yohan and Anderson are running leading up to Berlin, anyone of those guys could be put in the finals of the mens 4 x 100m.

You always want you best team for the relays.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by toyracer
    Originally posted by t_monk
    Originally posted by toyracer
    Jamaica

Jamaica 4 x 100m men for Berlin
    Bolt
    Asafa
    Frater
    Yohan
    36.95 WR
    In that order?

I'd prefer Blake to Michael to Bolt to Asafa.
    Mullings run a far better curve out of the blocks than Blake.

Mullings >> Frater >> Bolt >> Asafa
    I had almost put Mullings in instead of Blake but in my rush I also forgot Marvin Anderson. The three of them have shown identical 100m speed this season, with Anderson proving he can deliver when it counts by making the 100m (alternate) and 200m teams.

It might just be Anderson - Michael - Bolt - Asafa.
    To me it seems a bit risky putting Blake in without more experience. I think that the upside with him is less likely to be needed than the downside is to be avoided.

I also think that JA got to run a 'relaxed/low-pressure' 4x100 since the US was out and that left the optimum amount of pressure. It was sort of "lets try to take that WR too, but we will get the stick around as well - safe but reasonably quick passes." Pressing more might get faster transitions but often leads to redlining things and problems.

With the US having a few questions (e.g., Dix not there to be counted on?) that the US, already at least a moderate underdog has become even more of an underdog -- but one that could still surprise JA if there are any relay hiccups.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied

Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by scratchman
    Originally posted by Rustyjaguar
    Everybody is sleeping on Crawford. Runs a hell of a curve. Crawford leadoff, Patton 2nd, Tyson 3rd, Rodgers anchor.
    Absolutely!
    I might switch Rodgers and Patton, since Doc's been working on 4th some during the regular season and has big stage experience.
    Still a great order!
    IF it ain't broke, don't fix it. Gay was exhausted from winning 100/200 at WCh and USAT&F, so he skipped the WCh heat. Rogers is 0.25 seconds faster than Dixon. Crawford to Gay was the botched handoff in 2008. Spearmon & Gay have handoff & receive, Patton would hand off, Rogers would receive.
    Spearmon's relay skill isn't obvious by looking at his 100 time or his curve skill--he runs the straight. Switching is the problem. Use the 2007 team with Rogers replacing Dixon. Edwards/Padgett/Crawford/Dixon would be good competition at London, Stockholm & Monaco in late July.
    This guy is .99 faster than him, this guy is 1.99 faster this dude...WHO CARES!!! None of that matters as long as your coach got you ready I.E. Dixon in 2007.

And stop talking if you don't know what you are speaking of because Crawford didn't run in 2008 Olympics...THAT WAS PATTON TO GAY!!!

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Ja is gonna suffer with Blake on that relay....he didn't step up to the plate at the JAAA's and IMO, shouldn't be on the relay.

JAM
    Mullings/Frater, Bolt, Powell

US
    Rodgers, Patton, Crawford, Gay or Rodgers, Patton, Gay, Edwards (though Patton and Edwards would have to be switched if this is the relay).

only other option on this relay should be Padgett, outside of those guys, I don't see.

Dix shot himself in the foot with all these issues within his own camp with his agent/mgmt. He took himself out of this yr's bests for something that could have been settled a lot easier and certainly at a better time. Someone got into his head at the wrong time and its coast him majorly!

Women:

Jam
    Fraser, Brooks, Stewart, VCB

US
    Williams, Hooker, Lee, Jeter. Lee is one of the few women that CAN match up well with VCB on a curve. Did yall see she was 1st off the curve at nationals while in Lane 1....she HAWKED whoever that was in lane 2 immediately after the gun and ate her ALIVE by 30-40m's into the race or so.
    Jeter can handle the anchor as she has great top end speed and gets going in the latter part of her race so she's be more than capable of holding off someone. Hooker just needs to recapture her form from a year ago. She didn't have any lift in her 100 and I'm glad she got it together in the 200m's, though I would have still liked her in the open 100m's. Lauryn is actually a helluva 200m curve runner, just check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xMCs8K ... L&index=55

This race's effort no the curve, with what's still the world leader in the 200m's??

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Jamaica

They are not moving SAF from start!!! That would be the downright STUPIDEST MISTAKE EVER!!!! .
    Who knew? I thought the "STUPIDEST MISTAKE EVER" was to start a land war in Asia, but here it is in T&F......

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied
    Originally posted by justblaze1011
    I think Anderson, Frater, Bolt, Powell is better than last year's Jamaican team...I'm a hugh Nesta Carter fan but I think this team will be fire.
    I agree that the Anderson, Michael, Bolt, Asafa lineup is good enough to get the job done, but I cannot agree that '09 Anderson is better than '08 Carter. Carter was in sub-10 form going into Beijing, and Anderson would have to make a decent drop to match it. That said, Carter is not a consideration for Berlin and Anderson has definitely shown his consistency at trials so he should be strongly considered for inclusion for the relay final.

VCB on the curve is the best choice and is the best choice because that is utilizing her GREATEST advantage. I can understand why she was not running curve more but I know why seeing that we really didn't have much other choice before. VCB is our ultimate trump card on curve against ANYONE.
    Agreed. Let's hope that the selectors are paying attention. VCB on the third leg to Stewart on the final.

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    Fair enough...somehow we got our wires crossed and I think you misunderstood what I was initially saying and maybe the same for me. We're on a similar page though I believe.
    No problem.
    It's cool. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Bold #1- Ahahaha... The reality IS that she beat Hooker. And she's not the only one.
    Bold #2- Why not???...She beat her, didnt she? You saw it. Ahahaha
    Bold #3- I said THE POOL, didnt I? :roll:
    Bold #4- And SHE got beat this year. :wink:
    Bold #5- Oh you aint gotta wait pilgrim. Everbody knows that.
    Bold #6- I like that. Thats your best statement.
    ...Thank you for playing.
    I'm not playing. You asked a question and I answered.

And I retain, my main point is that after the top 3 IT DOES NOT AND HAS NOT MATTERED what happens in one race to determine the other relay participants.

As pointed out, Jeter won bronze at the 07 WCs and wasn't even on the relay and there are countless other examples of where person A beat person B and yet person B ends up on the relay instead of person A. So on and so forth.

Alex is not faster than Marshevet. Did she run a better race on Friday? Yes. But REALISTICALLY do you think the staff thinks Alex is faster with a baton in hand than Marshevet is? Personally I don't.

I think you're somehow thinking I'm against Alex and pro-Marshevet. That's not the case at all. But you can't honestly think one race determines it all. I think that's just flawed logic. If that were the case then I guess its safe to assume Bianca is faster than Veronica since she beat her in one race last year right?
    Dude, you completely misunderstood what I said. Furthermore, you totally disregarded my statement, quote: I think she(Alex) deserves to be in the relay pool, ALTHOUGH THEY'LL PROBABLY LEAN TOWARD HOOKER'S EXPERIENCE AND HER 200 ACHEIVEMENT...end quote. How did your unflawed, inerrant logic miss that. And no, I dont think youre "somehow" against Alex. What I do think is that you assumed I didnt know how these things work and that "deserved" meant by beating Hooker she was automatically on the relay. I'll quote myself again: Not saying she's a lock AT ALL....
    ...I hope that did it.

Leave a comment:

• texas_speed
    replied
    Fair enough...somehow we got our wires crossed and I think you misunderstood what I was initially saying and maybe the same for me. We're on a similar page though I believe.

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Bold #1- Ahahaha... The reality IS that she beat Hooker. And she's not the only one.
    Bold #2- Why not???...She beat her, didnt she? You saw it. Ahahaha
    Bold #3- I said THE POOL, didnt I? :roll:
    Bold #4- And SHE got beat this year. :wink:
    Bold #5- Oh you aint gotta wait pilgrim. Everbody knows that.
    Bold #6- I like that. Thats your best statement.
    ...Thank you for playing.
    I'm not playing. You asked a question and I answered.

And I retain, my main point is that after the top 3 IT DOES NOT AND HAS NOT MATTERED what happens in one race to determine the other relay participants.

As pointed out, Jeter won bronze at the 07 WCs and wasn't even on the relay and there are countless other examples of where person A beat person B and yet person B ends up on the relay instead of person A. So on and so forth.

Alex is not faster than Marshevet. Did she run a better race on Friday? Yes. But REALISTICALLY do you think the staff thinks Alex is faster with a baton in hand than Marshevet is? Personally I don't.

I think you're somehow thinking I'm against Alex and pro-Marshevet. That's not the case at all. But you can't honestly think one race determines it all. I think that's just flawed logic. If that were the case then I guess its safe to assume Bianca is faster than Veronica since she beat her in one race last year right?
    Look dude, you completely misunderstood what I said. Furthermore, you totally disregarded my statement: QUOTE: I think she(Alex) deserves to be in the pool, ALTHOUGH THEY'LL PROBABLY LEAN TOWARD HOOKER'S EXPERIENCE AND HER 200 ACHIEVEMENT....end quote. How did your unflawed, inerrant logic miss that? And no, I didnt think you were 'somehow' against Alex in favor of Marshevet. What I do think is YOU assumed I didnt know how these things work and that my saying "deserved" meant Alex should be on the relay. I'll quote again: Not saying she's(Alex) a lock AT ALL.
    ...I hope that did it.

Leave a comment:

• Boxer4robb
    replied
    Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
    If you want to call that a win against JA in Penn Relays, more power to you.

What is the average four the 4 US guys that you say is your best team right now?

I guess if you didn't see a sub 9.90 shape Powel in that race on Saturday, maybe you need to go watch it. Powel 9.97 is more impressive than the US 100m finals results. Go figure!! Powel will be ready for Relays in Berlin.

Then again, it's your own perception of things, so who i'm I to say.
    Not only was that a win, it was the first indicator of the U.S.'s potential to beat JA this summer. Had it been the other way around, you guys woulda said the same thing about JA for Worlds, particularly becuza Beijing. Dude, you act as though we dont have a sub 9.8 guy, let alone 4 others who are between 9.89- 9.98 legal. :roll: I dont have to see the race to know what Powell did. He was getting beat by Bolt, so he slowed up at the end- again. :roll: You got anything new to say? And as for this our trrials vs. JA's...You dont know he would've beaten Rodger's if he'd been in our race...OOOPS!(snapn my fingers) Thats right. Rodgers ALERADY beat him in NY this year :lol: :lol: :lol: .
    ...Guess that answers that. HHAHAHAHA
    Ok fair is fair, i HOPE they meet on the circuit this year (excluding bolt) he has to deal with the second tier sprinters like Martina, Burns, Brown, Hinds tompson etc ....

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied

[quote="scratchman"
    This doesnt have anything to do with Dixon/Rodgers, although I know what you mean. We're not even considering Crawford to Gay. Gay's on 3rd. He's saying put him on lead off, and I agree. And yeah, if Spearmon ran, it'd be 2nd. Everybody already knows Spearmons a great 2nd, and that would be their whole reason for considering him- his handing to Gay. Patton is much more well rounded now than he was in 07, and has had some anchoring experience
    since then. Thats all I meant.[/quote]
    I agree. I'm sorry that I misunderstood your quote. IF Crawford/Spearmon/Gay/Patton is faster than Patton/Spearmon/Gay/Rodgers I say "go for it!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X