Clear All

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by justblaze1011
    Originally posted by DentyCracker
    I believe Jamaica's 4x100 relay teams will be

men
    Steve Mullings to Michael Frater to Usain Bolt to Asafa Powell
    I believe this team can run 36.9x (or faster) with good exchanges.
    Before you jump on my back let me explain.
    Mullings is a better curve runner than Nesta (who missed the break last year in Beijing) and his 20.01 says he carries his speed arpund the curve. So Michael will get the baton around .1 ahead of where he got it last year. I am assuming Michael is as good as last year so runs a similar leg. Bolt is well ...Bolt he kills his leg and Asafa is fine with better speed distribution than last year.
    With the pool USA have I can't see them ahead after 3 legs unless Gay runs 3rd and if ahead less than a metre. Less than a metre behind anyone not named Gay or Bolt Asafa murders them and wins going away.

women
    Shelly-Ann Fraser to Kerron Stewart to Simone Facey to Veronica Campbell-Brown.
    I believe this is the order they will use as they want VCB on anchor.
    SAF in championship mode leads , Kerron opens it (if toe is ok) Facey loses most maybe all of it and VCB cleans up WHOEVER.
    **As he wakes up from the loud alarm clock going off**
    Exactly and someone slaps him as well...LOL

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by scratchman
    I think the womens team is solid.
    Williams to Felix to Lee to The Jet.
    Jamaicas in for a fight.
    As for the guys.... :?
    3 are obvious. Dont know who the 4th'l be.
    Yep.

But jokers on here are saying the US women can't win. :?

They couldnt be more wrong.

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    I think the womens team is solid.
    Williams to Felix to Lee to The Jet.
    Jamaicas in for a fight.
    As for the guys.... :?
    3 are obvious. Dont know who the 4th'l be.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied

men
    Mullings is a better curve runner than Nesta (who missed the break last year in Beijing) and his 20.01 says he carries his speed arpund the curve. So Michael will get the baton around .1 ahead of where he got it last year. I am assuming Michael is as good as last year so runs a similar leg. Bolt is well ...Bolt he kills his leg and Asafa is fine with better speed distribution than last year.
    With the pool USA have I can't see them ahead after 3 legs unless Gay runs 3rd and if ahead less than a metre. Less than a metre behind anyone not named Gay or Bolt Asafa murders them and wins going away.

women
    SAF in championship mode leads , Kerron opens it (if toe is ok) Facey loses most maybe all of it and VCB cleans up WHOEVER.
    **As he wakes up from the loud alarm clock going off**

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied

men

women
    Ok.
    So what if Dix is in form (19.69) somehow? I know thats a huge if, but lets go with it. Mullings wont Frater that kind of set up. And I think Rodgers can give Frater the bizness on 2nd. If not Dix, what about Crawford? He's a curve king too. Not as much as on the fly, but enough to still do some major damage.
    Just saw where Dix wont be there.
    Guess its up to Crawford.

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied

men

women
    Ok.
    So what if Dix is in form (19.69) somehow? I know thats a huge if, but lets go with it. Mullings wont Frater that kind of set up. And I think Rodgers can give Frater the bizness on 2nd. If not Dix, what about Crawford? He's a curve king too. Not as much as on the fly, but enough to still do some major damage.

Leave a comment:

• DentyCracker
    replied

men

women

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Originally posted by trackfan22
    Originally posted by Sportsfanx1

Oh boy! :roll:
    First off, the ONLY reason JA ran 37.1 is becuz they had two 9.7's. Frater and Carter werent superior to anybody we had. Second, what makes you so sure the U.S. will drop the baton again??? Youre assuming it already happened again. Third, WE DONT HAVE THE FOOT SPEED????? :shock:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
    Rodgers? Patton?? GAY FOR CHRISTS SAKE??????
    What team do you think they'll field?
    Powell hadnt done anything yet this season that would indicate he's where he was last year. To even think we wont compete with JA is ludicrous.
    Ridiculous.

No!! JA have a 9.60's guy (possible 9.50's) and a 9.70's guy. Last time I check, they haven't gone anywhere.

Powell looked easy on Saturday and maybe in sub 9.90's shape if he really push it in the final of JA trials, and he not's even fully recover from his ankle injury(say's he's basically running on one leg). Powell, will show up running RELAYS in Berlin that I am certain of.
    I said 2 9.7's becuz thats what they average together. Dont get caught in semantics. I didnt see Powell Saturday. All I can go by is what I've seen thus far...and I still say, if he's not where he was a year ago in August, JA wont do it. And youre still underestimating the US talent. We still beat the JA's at Penn and we didnt have Gay or Rodgers. 3/4 of JA's team was there. You cannot discount that just becuz it was April. We're not where we were then either.
    We havent gone anywhere either.
    UHM PENN RELAYs THE guys were totally in different form a far cry from there best 2 persons on that jamaican squad are peakers.. and the team has some what changed. the guy who virtually one that race for the americans DIx didnt even qualify for the world championships.. so i question using Penn as a guide..
    Umm...how long ago did this thread start and how much have things changed for both sides since then? :roll: First off, there was only one person off that 37.1 relay at Penn (Bolt). Second, I know youre referring to Blake also, so lemme ask you this...had he been on 2nd instead of Frater, do you actually think it wouldve mattered that day??? HELL NO. Cuz youre absolutely right....Dix put them soooo far out there that there was no doubt of the outcome. And thats why we're still not out of it, becuz Powell is not the same guy he was last year. If he was, this wouldnt be worth discussing. The U.S. did 37.92. If Gay had been on the relay at Penn, what do you think they wouldve run? How bout with Mike Rodgers too? And as for Dix not qualifying? Who knew he'd have the injury and distractions he had after Penn? So I'd say Blakes absence, plus Powell's inconsistency evens out things a bit. Theres still the matter of Gays groin. But if survives the rounds decently, I'd say the Jamaicans have a fight on their hands.

Leave a comment:

• texas_speed
    replied
    The U.S. pools:

4x100m Relay pool:
    Tyson Gay (Lexington, Ky.)
    Michael Rodgers (Round Rock, Texas)
    Darvis Patton (Grand Prairie, Texas)
    Monzavous "Rae" Edwards (Kansas City, Kan.)
    Travis Padgett (Marietta, Ga.)
    Shawn Crawford (Los Angeles)
    Terrence Trammell (Atlanta, Ga.)
    Wallace Spearmon (College Station, Texas)

4x100m Relay Pool:
    Carmelita Jeter (Inglewood, Calif.)
    Muna Lee (College Station, Texas)
    Lauryn Williams (Miami, Fla.)
    Alexandria Anderson (Austin, Texas)
    Jessica Young (Fort Worth, Texas)
    Shalonda Solomon (Inglewood, Calif.)
    Marshevet Hooker (Pflugerville, Texas)
    Charonda Williams (Richmond, Calif.)
    Allyson Felix (Los Angeles)

Things that jump out to me...no Dix and a couple extra women in the ladies pool...makes me wonder even more about Muna's health...

Leave a comment:

• trackfan22
    replied
    Originally posted by Sportsfanx1

Oh boy! :roll:
    First off, the ONLY reason JA ran 37.1 is becuz they had two 9.7's. Frater and Carter werent superior to anybody we had. Second, what makes you so sure the U.S. will drop the baton again??? Youre assuming it already happened again. Third, WE DONT HAVE THE FOOT SPEED????? :shock:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
    Rodgers? Patton?? GAY FOR CHRISTS SAKE??????
    What team do you think they'll field?
    Powell hadnt done anything yet this season that would indicate he's where he was last year. To even think we wont compete with JA is ludicrous.
    Ridiculous.

No!! JA have a 9.60's guy (possible 9.50's) and a 9.70's guy. Last time I check, they haven't gone anywhere.

Powell looked easy on Saturday and maybe in sub 9.90's shape if he really push it in the final of JA trials, and he not's even fully recover from his ankle injury(say's he's basically running on one leg). Powell, will show up running RELAYS in Berlin that I am certain of.
    I said 2 9.7's becuz thats what they average together. Dont get caught in semantics. I didnt see Powell Saturday. All I can go by is what I've seen thus far...and I still say, if he's not where he was a year ago in August, JA wont do it. And youre still underestimating the US talent. We still beat the JA's at Penn and we didnt have Gay or Rodgers. 3/4 of JA's team was there. You cannot discount that just becuz it was April. We're not where we were then either.
    We havent gone anywhere either.
    UHM PENN RELAYs THE guys were totally in different form a far cry from there best 2 persons on that jamaican squad are peakers.. and the team has some what changed. the guy who virtually one that race for the americans DIx didnt even qualify for the world championships.. so i question using Penn as a guide..

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The way I read it is that the you have to enter your 4 guys from the 100 as part of the 6. You can name 2 other guys for a 6-man relay pool.*

But I believe you still retain the latitude to run anybody who is already in the meet in another event. They're just trying to restrict overall numbers of bodies.

*=does Gay as a wild card increase the count? I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    I just recalled a potential problem for the U.S. men (and others?) in the 4x100. When I downloaded WCh "Entry Standards" on 25Sept08, I noticed that "Entry Rules"state that (#7) "In the relays...6 athletes...must include all athletes (up to the 4th reserve) eventually entered in the respective individual events (100m and 400m)."

In the Men's 4x100 the six entries for the U.S. must be:
    1. Gay (wild card in 100)
    2. Rodgers (1st at USAT&F 100)
    3. Patton (2nd at USAT&F 100)
    4. Edwards (3rd at USAT&F 100)
    5. Spearmon (in relay pool because of 200 third place at USAT&F, on team because of his passing to Gay in wins at 2007 WCh, 2006 WCup and 2005 NCAA)
    6. Padgett (4th at USAT&F 100 = alternate for 100)
    IF Crawford's skills put him on the 4x100 team, he would have to be the 100 alternate to comply with IAAF rules. This would be in conflict with USAT&F rules because Crawford was 5th at USAT&F 100 behind Padgett.

This seems to be a mess. I hope that my interpretation is wrong!

Leave a comment:

• texas_speed
    replied
    If Dix can get right in time and get on the 4x1 squad it'd be nasty to have him coming out of the hole like he did at Penn.

Slightly different than Lauryn in 03 though...she did make the finals at USAs that year but came in 7th.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    Originally posted by texas_speed
    World Championships Relay Team Selection Policy

USA Track & Field may enter a maximum of six (6) athletes on each relay team, which includes the men’s and women’s 4x100m and 4x400m, for the 2009 World Championships. USATF must include their 3 entrants in the 100m and 400m, as well as their alternates in these events, as part of their relay team entry. The remaining two (2) relay team members who will be selected for each relay team will be chosen according to the procedure outlined below.

Relay Pool
    USATF will name 4x100m relay and 4x400m relay pools for both the men and women consisting of 6-10 athletes per relay pool in the week immediately following the U.S. Outdoor Championships. This pool will consist of the individuals selected to represent the USA in the 100m and the 400m, the alternates in the 100m and 400m, as well as other athletes who have qualified for the World Championships team roster. Athletes that participate in the USA Outdoor Championships, but who do not qualify for the team in an individual event, are eligible to be selected to the relay pool. Relay pool members will be nominated by the Men’s and Women’s Head Coaches for the World Championships, with final approval by USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance. Athletes will be notified of their selection to the relay pool by e-mail no later than July 6, 2009.

Please take careful note of the following:

* Being selected for the relay pool does not guarantee an athlete a position on the relay team. Athletes selected for the relay pool who are not entered in an individual event and are not selected as a member of the relay team on August 3, 2009 will not travel to Berlin for the World Championships.
    * An athlete must compete in the USA Outdoor Championships in order to be eligible for the relay pool, except in emergency situations where a waiver based on medical or exceptional circumstances may be given by USATF, at its discretion.
    * To be eligible for the 4x100m relay pool athletes must sign a relay agreement requiring them to participate in two international relay events prior to the World Championships. Those pre-World Championships international relay events are as follows:
    1. London Grand Prix – July 24/25
    2. TBD- during training camp period

Relay Team

The members of the men’s & women’s 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams will be announced on or just prior to August 3. The World Championships Head Coaches, in conjunction with USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance, will make the final selection. Athletes will be notified by email of their selection on August 3.

Final entries for the World Championships, which will contain the six (6) members, each, for the men’s and women’s 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams, are due to be received by the IAAF no later than August 3rd. The six (6) athletes entered as the relay team plus any athlete on the World Championships roster is eligible to compete on the relay. The athletes selected to run in each round and the order in which they will run will be determined by the World Championships Head Coaches with final approval by USATF’s Chief of Sport Performance the day after the relay training camp. Being entered as a relay team member does not guarantee that an athlete will participate in the relay. If an athlete(s) were to become injured, have personal issues, etc. that would keep them from being able to compete on the relay team, USATF may then name any athlete who is a member of the 2009 World Championship team to replace that athlete(s).

To be eligible for the relay team, athletes must sign an agreement requiring them to participate in the pre World Championships training camp to be held as follows in Berlin:

* 4x100m training camp – August 7-9
    * 4x400m training camp – August 9-10
    So if Dix is expected to be healthy by Berlin he could be nominated to the pool....????
    Yep, especially if he comes back and post a nasty time, not to mention if he runs fast in back to back meets leading up to Berlin.

a great example would be 2003, when Lauryn Williams ran in the prelims of the 4x100m....did she make finals of USA's??? can't remember how the race went.

Leave a comment:

• ChuiTai
    replied
    It would appear that responsibility on both sides of the track will be required for these events.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X