Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rupp will be the worst (best?) thing to ever happen to Webb.

On message boards anyway.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I think Rupp is probably burned out from the collegiate season, as easy as he might have made things look. In a year or so I think he'll be able to challenge for a top 5 spot / medal in the 10k and possibly the 5k as well. But by Berlin, don't be surprised if those point races for the Ducks catch up with him.

Comment

I'm not ready to coronate him yet. Is he really the King or an opportunistic Prince. I don't think he would have won the 5k at Nationals as Tagenkamp appears to have a better kick. I might even say he might not have made the team, as Jagar was 3rd with 54.9 last lap. :shock:

And the 10K team isn't as strong as it once was. I would like to have seen Rupp against Abdi, Meb and Ritz if they all wouldn't have moved to the marathon. As I'm not positive but didn't those three have a couple of years of sub 28's at Nationals before?

So, his season is very promising for the future, but he isn't the King, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jnathletics
          I'm not ready to coronate him yet.
          I concur. Rupp has no performances that are superior to Ryan Hall's 2:06:17 and 59:43, Bernard Lagat's13:03 this year (not to mention 2 world championship victories), Webb's 3:46.91, Tegenkamp's 8:07, Ritzenhein's 8:11, and there may be other performances I am overlooking (limiting the timeframe from 2007-present). But I would not bet against him running performances that may be superior to some of the above in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
            world lists have about 25 with faster 10k times....

so he's equivalent to being the fastest WHITE sprinter
            This has been misused too many times and is not really a very good assessment.

Do you think Rupp is no better now than last year?

Do you think that his PR run n the summer heat in a championship final is worth the same as one run at Bislett?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              This has been misused too many times and is not really a very good assessment.

Do you think Rupp is no better now than last year?

Do you think that his PR run n the summer heat in a championship final is worth the same as one run at Bislett?
              I agree. He has demonstrably superior fitness to last year when he was just over 27:30. He has not been in fast races where we can see the time improvement, but that does not mean he could not have run them. My bet is that he is at least in 20 seconds better shape over 10k if not more and that would put him in AR territory in the right race.

In his interview in flotrack I thought he stated that he is going to take a break and then start training for Berlin and forego much of the pre-WC racing season and maybe catch a tune-up race just prior to Worlds. That is what I suspected all along so, unless the WC race is a fast one, we may not see his true fitness (from a time perspective) this year.

Comment

And the 10K team isn't as strong as it once was. I would like to have seen Rupp against Abdi, Meb and Ritz if they all wouldn't have moved to the marathon. As I'm not positive but didn't those three have a couple of years of sub 28's at Nationals before?
                Where do you come up with this stuff?

Rupp and Ritzenhein were both under 28:00 this year and Nelson ran 28:01.
                It is the first year Ritzenhein has broken 28:00 at USAs.
                The reason for Abdi and Meb's decline is simply age. Running the marathon has nothing to do with it. If you recall, all of Paula's track PBs came after "moving to the marathon." See also: Ritzenhein running 8:11 for 2M the spring after debuting in NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents
                  I'm not ready to coronate him yet.
                  I concur. Rupp has no performances that are superior to Ryan Hall's 2:06:17 and 59:43, Bernard Lagat's13:03 this year (not to mention 2 world championship victories), Webb's 3:46.91, Tegenkamp's 8:07, Ritzenhein's 8:11, and there may be other performances I am overlooking (limiting the timeframe from 2007-present). But I would not bet against him running performances that may be superior to some of the above in the future.
                  Rupp has been racing--not running behind a rabbit. WCh 10K is a race. Who predicted Goucher's 10K medal in 2007?
                  none

Comment

Gleason, I have no idea why you quoted me. It makes no sense. Yes, the WC 10000 is a race. The subject of this thread is why Rupp is the new king of American distance running. I agreed with a poster that this is label is premature, and provided evidence. I know Rupp has not been doing time trials, he has been racing, albeit behind rabbits.

Comment

Your quote mentioned times only. T&FN Athlete of the Year guidelines are:
                      1. Honors won 40%
                      2. Win-Loss record 40%
                      3. Series of Marks 20%

Rupp excells in all three, not just one mark.
                      none

Comment

Again, Gleason, what the hell is the point? Is Rupp a better runner than Lagat? You seem not to be interested in the subject of the thread, which is what I have been addressing.

Comment

So far Rupp is concentrating on Honors and Win-Loss. Lagat lost the 5000 at Reebok and has been concentrating on marks--apples and oranges. I think that each is doing the appropriate approach for his situation.
                          none

Comment

Gleason, you make no sense at all. Since Rupp has NO honors internationally, I decided to use performances as the yardstick. If you want to use honors, then Lagat's two WC gold medals would make him the current "king of American distance running." After all, Ritzenhein and Hall finished higher in Beijing than Rupp. So, therefore, for the last time, it is premature to label Rupp the "king of American distance running."

Comment

What have you done for me lately? Rupp is the king, so far IMHO.
                              none

Comment

Gleason, let's just agree to disagree on this subject. A less than top form Lagat finished 9th in the 5000 in Beijing, again higher than Rupp finished in the 10000. I would pick Lagat to beat Rupp at any track distance up to 5000, and even in a 10000, although Rupp would perhaps have the advantage, it is not clear, as he would have to leave Lagat behind before the last lap. Don't forget that Aouita ran 27:26. Lagat perhaps could too.

Comment

Working...
                                X