Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of James Carter - Retired?

I see in a home-page-linked article that he announced his retirement after DNFing in the 400H Final. So let's give him his due:

1999 - 3rd at NCAA
    2000 - 3rd at OT, 4th in OG
    2001 - 3rd at USATF
    2002 - Won USATF and World Cup
    2003 - 4th at USATF
    2004 - Won OT, 4th at OG
    2005 - 3rd at USATF; 2nd at WC - 47.43 PR !!!
    2006 - 3rd at USATF
    2007 - Won USATF; 4th at WC

Very good career, my man.

2000---became a symbol of evil for his turn-around antics in Sydney, unfortunately.

Comment

Probably a nice guy. But that was something that I hadn't forgotten either. Perhaps Rooney as well.

I wish the best though in his next career endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        2000---became a symbol of evil for his turn-around antics in Sydney, unfortunately.
        I think he a had a Global title in him, shame he can't retire with a major honour. Could you elaborate on this "turn around"?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Definitely his defining moment in the worlds eyes. First time anyone ever felt happy for the 4th guy.

Originally posted by 3a
          Could you elaborate on this "turn around"?
          In the semifinal he turned around and started taunting the opposition. Far, far, worse than showboating.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
            Originally posted by gh
            I think he a had a Global title in him, shame he can't retire with a major honour. Could you elaborate on this "turn around"?
            After his semi final in Sydney, he crossed the finish line, turned around and gestured for the athletes behind him to hurry up (and then he went on to finish fourth in the final). I'm glad I was reminded of this - I knew there was a reason why I wasn't a fan of his, but initially I couldn't remember why. I'll remember him more for his fourth-place finishes - definitely got more pleasure out of those than his WCh silver.

Comment

In Praise of James Carter - Retired

Yes James made a huge mistake in 2000. He got caught up in the moment and let his emotions get the best of him. Since then he has gone on to represent himself and our country very well. Ask any of his teammates on the circuit and they will tell you James has been there for them when they needed help, and they respect and care for him. I'm hoping he let his emotions get away from him again and announced his retirement prematurely.

Comment

I still believe he's going to make a comeback way too young to retire.

Comment

Re: In Praise of James Carter - Retired

Originally posted by dincary
                  Yes James made a huge mistake in 2000. He got caught up in the moment and let his emotions get the best of him. Since then he has gone on to represent himself and our country very well. Ask any of his teammates on the circuit and they will tell you James has been there for them when they needed help, and they respect and care for him. I'm hoping he let his emotions get away from him again and announced his retirement prematurely.
                  Very well said. I wouldn't want my career defined by one stupid act, although it was ugly. Karma paid him back for that.

Comment

An emotionally charged Flotrack interview with some very interesting talkin points:

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... mpionships

"I'm tired of racing drugs".

And he said he MAY return if he gets a sponsor that believes in him or, wait for it, as a Decathlete!

Comment

If this is really it, congrats JC on a fine career.
                      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Rineanna
                        An emotionally charged Flotrack interview with some very interesting talkin points:

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage ... mpionships

"I'm tired of racing drugs".

And he said he MAY return if he gets a sponsor that believes in him or, wait for it, as a Decathlete!
                        I've always liked JC.

I hope he doesnt end up regretting that.

Carl and Gwen were crucified for making similar statements.
                        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                          That was before BALCO though. People should pay attention when someone who has been around as long as Carter makes such a statement.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                            Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                            That was before BALCO though. People should pay attention when someone who has been around as long as Carter makes such a statement.
                            Why say it now, in the heat of him not finishing in perhaps his last nationals? He also mentioned how his hamstring was an issue, so which was it, the hamstring or running against alleged dugs?

He opened up a can of worms, definitely wih those comments.
                            on the road

Comment

Good career and good hurdler, but two main issues:
                              1. The turnaround in Sydney!
                              2. Talking smack to Felix Sanchez in Athens.

Sanchez commented that when one runs, one has to respect the competitors. Carter's little respect towards the field in Athens, let alone the world's top hurdler, may have cost him dearly!

Carter has clearly always been a man of emotions.

Comment

Working...
                              X