Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the athlete who impressed me most in Eugene....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to cheat and name a couple..

Galen Rupp - the pressure in front of the home crowd was huge and he performed magnificently.

Evan Jager- yes he's a "pro", but he's only 20. 8-)
    Honorable mention: German Fernandez s-m-o-o-t-h

Chris Hill in the Javelin 275-02 /83.87 The kid from Georgia easily outdid Hostetler and White.

Amy Yoder-Begley From training partner to star.

Comment

Re: the athlete who impressed me most in Eugene....

Originally posted by gh
      (well aside from the usual suspects)....

Chalonda Goodman. What a horse! She is going to put up some super-stunning times down the road.
      Best thing to come out of Newnan since Alan Jackson and Sprayberry's BBQ!

Comment

Gilreath, she has been throwing weight well, but think this is her best hammer result since College. Know that 68m is not going to threaten anyone at Berlin, but I am glad she has made another worlds team.

Also Taylor and Nelson in the shot. Taylor has worked very hard with Godina recently (I believe) and Nellie has made his 5th worlds team.

Maybe the US will win another worlds, 4 diff world champs in the last 5 tries.

Also SBT in womens discus, Berlin should be worth waiting up for.

Problem we have in OZ is that this will clash with the test cricket in England and will be delayed and sometimes shortened.

Pain as it hurts what is one of the best most knowlegeable broadcasts in the
        world
        " we all overtrain" Pat Casey to George Frenn

Comment

marquise goodwin and ebony collins. collins has potential to have lots of global success.

Comment

Muna Lee ran very well, but will she transfer that to medals in Berlin? Thus far she has been slightly disappointing in major champs compared with her national competitive form and her potential.

Off topic, I know she wont but maybe she'd have a better shot at following the Felix route and concentrating on the 200m in Berlin? This was her better event last season and her relatively poor start wont be so disadvantaged. With Stewart, Fraser, Jeter and assuming VCB in the 100m, she can't afford a poor pick up like in Eugene.

I was impressed by Lauryn Williams at the natioanls. Ever the competitor, she only had that one sub 11 prior to Eugen but once again knuckled down and fought her way into the team. Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrome Dome
              For me it was without a doubt Hyleas Fountain up until her injury!
              Indeed, she seems to have a tremendous JJK potential.

Comment

I was most impressed with 110 hurdler Booker Nunley, who on Friday ran a 13.30 +2.8 wind in Heat 1 of the Juniors 110h (39") and within less then 20 min ran a 13.75 in the senior 110h (42") in heat 1. He later went on that evening to place 2nd in the Juniors. Great Job Booker!

Comment

How about Carmelita Jeter. Her top end speed in the semi-finals was evident and at a level I don't think we have seen for years in the US. In the finals, as she was just getting ready to put it into overdrive, you could see where the cramp started and she was not able to go into that highest gear. Still, she hangs on to win in impressive time over an impressive Muna Lee.

If Jeter can remain healthy, she will be in the hunt for gold in Berlin.

Comment

Except for Tyson (form is form and bias from his 19.58) none of the sprinters could have been fairly assessed, this owing to the strong tailwind. And in that case the youngman Rupp would then qualify as the toast of the meet. He stood out as poster boy for American track.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
                      Except for Tyson (form is form and bias from his 19.58) none of the sprinters could have been fairly assessed, this owing to the strong tailwind. And in that case the youngman Rupp would then qualify as the toast of the meet. He stood out as poster boy for American track.
                      Is Rupp really the poster boy for American track? His 10k time was 27th in the world this year and nearly a minute behind the best time so far. He has put on a fine performance this year at the collegiate level and managed to win the event in the US but based on time, he seems well removed from the top of the event world wide.

Comment

How about Nicole Bush? Breaks her foot on the second lap of the Steeple and still qualifies for the finals. That has to be the most impressive thing of the weekend. Too bad she couldn't run the final.

Preliminaries
                        1 Jennifer Barringer Colorado 9:47.94Q
                        2 Anna Willard Nike 9:52.98Q
                        3 Bridget Franek Penn State 9:51.16Q
                        4 Lindsey Anderson Nike 9:55.76Q
                        5 Lindsay Allen McMillan Elite 9:56.24Q
                        6 Nicole Bush Michigan State 9:57.06Q
                        7 Marie Lawrence Washington 9:56.42Q
                        8 Lisa Galaviz Nike 9:59.74Q
                        9 Delilah DiCrescenzo Puma 9:59.97q
                        10 Kara June Asics Aggie 10:02.57q
                        11 Kristin Anderson RIADHA 10:02.94q
                        12 Shauneen Garrahan RIADHA 10:03.80q
                        13 Amanda Lorenzen unattached 10:05.17q
                        14 Erin Bedell Baylor 10:06.87q

Comment

[quote=79.]
                          Originally posted by "Chrome Dome":10lj2tia
                          For me it was without a doubt Hyleas Fountain up until her injury!
                          Indeed, she seems to have a tremendous JJK potential.[/quote:10lj2tia]

That, OTOH, is going too far

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                            Originally posted by Paul Henry
                            Is Rupp really the poster boy for American track? His 10k time was 27th in the world this year and nearly a minute behind the best time so far. He has put on a fine performance this year at the collegiate level and managed to win the event in the US but based on time, he seems well removed from the top of the event world wide.
                            True!! but he's got us focused on him and talking and further, many folks are following the distances now(And Face it he gonna get better); much like Carter did despite inactivity and lack of form (as in had people wondering about him and crazy over his potential).

Comment

Bettie Ann Wade of Michigan, who fought through self-doubt, to earn a spot of the WC team. See link below (story is on the home page):

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/200 ... S/90629010

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                                Bettie Ann Wade of Michigan, who fought through self-doubt, to earn a spot of the WC team. See link below (story is on the home page):
                                http://www.hometownlife.com/article/200 ... S/90629010
                                Good story. She was off my radar.

Comment

Working...
                                X