Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the athlete who impressed me most in Eugene....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doug091463
    marquise goodwin and ebony collins. collins has potential to have lots of global success.
    Glad to see Collins regroup and get things together in her life so she could make a comeback on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
      How about Carmelita Jeter. Her top end speed in the semi-finals was evident and at a level I don't think we have seen for years in the US. In the finals, as she was just getting ready to put it into overdrive, you could see where the cramp started and she was not able to go into that highest gear. Still, she hangs on to win in impressive time over an impressive Muna Lee.

If Jeter can remain healthy, she will be in the hunt for gold in Berlin.
      I almost completely concur with you once again and the difference is possibly just terminological. In the last 30m the sprinters do not go into a 'higher' gear, rather they try to maintain speed best. I think that there is a changing of stride style a bit the last 30m+ (which is a form of 'changing gears', just not to a higher/faster gear). She was knocked out of this transition and clearly she did not finish like she would have without that problem.

I would guess that if you compared the finishing 40m of her Semi vs the Final, the Semi was better despite it probably being only 95% the last 20m. One reason I think this is because Jeter tends to run better than most others the latter part of the race and in the Final she gave up ground. If she was 0.04 before the problem (i.e., her lead was 0.04), she might have finished 0.02-0.04 better rather than 0.04 worse. This gives her a time comparable or slightly better than the Semi; ~10.70.

Comment

[quote=Paul Henry]
        Originally posted by Dave
        Originally posted by "Paul Henry":mzy8xbzn
        Except for Tyson (form is form and bias from his 19.58) none of the sprinters could have been fairly assessed, this owing to the strong tailwind. And in that case the youngman Rupp would then qualify as the toast of the meet. He stood out as poster boy for American track.
        Is Rupp really the poster boy for American track? His 10k time was 27th in the world this year and nearly a minute behind the best time so far. He has put on a fine performance this year at the collegiate level and managed to win the event in the US but based on time, he seems well removed from the top of the event world wide.

True!! but he's got us focused on him and talking and further, many folks are following the distances now(And Face it he gonna get better); much like Carter did despite inactivity and lack of form (as in had people wondering about him and crazy over his potential).[/quote:mzy8xbzn]

I agree that he will get better. I have great hopes that he trained through the NCAAs and USATF championships. Still, even a 27:30 is a long way from being in the chase for a medal in Berlin.

Comment

Muna Lee 2nd place in 200 from LANE 1!!!
          Anyone who's run a 200/400 from Lane 1 knows how difficult that is.
          On your Mark, Set,go!

Comment

Anastasia Jelmini's triple (JR shot/discus wins, SR discus 7th). Nicole Bush's broken foot steeple. Muna Lee's 200 from lane 1. German Fernandez's AJR in the 5k after spending a considerable amount of the race in no man's land. Will Claye's triple.

Comment

How about the performance of Marcus Rowland in the junior 100. His time of 10.02 (2.4) compares very well with the open 100 times at 3.1!

Comment

Kara Patterson in the Women's Jav... #2 all time in US history
                Sheldon Battle in Men's Shot for 5th... Clutch performance... Of all the guys behind the "Big 4" (cantwell, nelson, hoffa, taylor) I don't think anyone would have put him at top.
                Anna Jelmini - Arguably the best HS track athlete ever. Yeah, I said it again. :wink:
                Jessica Cosby lifetime best in the hammer throw

Comment

Originally posted by Chrome Dome
                  How about the performance of Marcus Rowland in the junior 100. His time of 10.02 (2.4) compares very well with the open 100 times at 3.1!
                  Well, almost... Rodgers' 9.91 is worth 10.05, Rowland's 10.02 worth 10.13 according to the Big Gold Book tables.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Well, almost... Rodgers' 9.91 is worth 10.05, Rowland's 10.02 worth 10.13 according to the Big Gold Book tables.
                    Yes, but how about third place?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Originally posted by gh
                      Churandi Martina, *Asafa Powell, Richard Thompson, Michael Frater, Daniel Bailey will be asking that too.

*Unstable element could threaten for 1 or 2 also but we know the story.

Comment

[quote=Paul Henry]
                        Originally posted by gh
                        Originally posted by "Chrome Dome":39he9ut7
                        Churandi Martina, *Asafa Powell, Richard Thompson, Michael Frater, Daniel Bailey will be asking that too.

*Unstable element could threaten for 1 or 2 also but we know the story.[/quote:39he9ut7]

I was comparing Rowland's winning junior mark to the third-place mark from the USATF (not sure that was apparent).

Comment

[uote]

I was comparing Rowland's winning junior mark to the third-place mark from the USATF (not sure that was apparent).
                          Ok now I get you. But shed some light my way with regards to what I said having said it and all.

Comment

Muna Lee

Mike Rodgers

Lashinda Demus

Dwight Phillips

Evan Jager

Stacey Dragila

Johnny Dutch

Dawn Harper

Bobby Kersee: coaches 3/4ths of the women's 100H's WC team, the men's & women's 200m winners, and probably someone else I am forgetting!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
                              [uote]

Ok now I get you. But shed some light my way with regards to what I said having said it and all.
                              Well, a number of players do not seem to be on the level expected at this point (Powell, Dix, ..) and the Americans other than Gay have been a surprise (a bit lesser ones from before coming to the fore and other, better knowns not). I think that the top two at this point look better than the rest if AP is continuing to be compromised a bit, which is a feed back to your post.

And as a comment on the previous post that added in a coach's success, Schumacher (and Salazar) come off looking like they have really got it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X