Comment

Re: Triple threat Willard

Originally posted by Gleason
      Originally posted by James Fields
      As of 1 July 2009, IAAF world best marks lists this year show Willard as
      -- World 5th in 3000m steeple chase
      -- World 4th in 1500m run
      -- World 3rd in 800m run
      I hope that she runs four more 800s to qualify for WAF. Then she could do Steeple/1500 at WCh and Steeple/800 at WAF. That would be a first. Felix was great to make T&FN World Ranking at 100/200/400 in 2007. Willard might make the T&FN World Ranking at 800/1500/Steeplechase.
      I think that Jenny might be capable of the 1500/SC/5000 triple and be ahead of Willard in the 1500/SC events. However, she has already had a very long season and Willard has the advantage of peaking solely for the summer events.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        However, she has already had a very long season and Willard has the advantage of peaking solely for the summer events.
        Willard has been racing nearly as long as Barringer has this year. Remember, Barringer did not run cross country and Willard was rolling indoors.

Also, I trust Wetmore's approach to a long season much more than I do Mahon's.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
          However, she has already had a very long season and Willard has the advantage of peaking solely for the summer events.
          Willard has been racing nearly as long as Barringer has this year. Remember, Barringer did not run cross country and Willard was rolling indoors.

Also, I trust Wetmore's approach to a long season much more than I do Mahon's.
          Thanks for the info/insights. It does seem that Barringer had more championship racing to consider and dominated the collegiate scene like almost no one ever has (you have to get to names like Rono given both her range and the SC as well as the flat races).

I hope that they are both fit and ready for a SC at WCs and run with the best there. I think it not impossible for them to be in the 9:0x range, but may be I am overly optimistic.

Comment

Thanks for the info/insights. It does seem that Barringer had more championship racing to consider and dominated the collegiate scene like almost no one ever has (you have to get to names like Rono given both her range and the SC as well as the flat races).

I hope that they are both fit and ready for a SC at WCs and run with the best there. I think it not impossible for them to be in the 9:0x range, but may be I am overly optimistic.
            I suppose one of the nice things about Rono-esque domination is that you don't have to back down too much and can still win NCAAs. So I'm not sure how much emotional energy/peaking was involved for Barringer at her two NCAA meets this year.

I, too, think Barringer can run 9:10 or under but am less sure about Willard as she hasn't run anything longer to demonstrate improved strength and the steeple is, after all, a strength event.

Comment

Update interview from Anna Willard

Listen to what Ms. Willard says about her event options in a video interview at Paris after 800m win that moved her to fourth place on IAAF 2009 World List for that event. Start with this:

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/cover...ris-saint-deni

Then scroll down a bit to the headline (at left) for Willard's interview. Click on it to see and hear her.

Thanks to Ann Gaffigan for calling my attention to this timely source.

Comment

For those who don't want to wade through the Flomuck, she's running the 1500 in Berlin.

Comment

I have heard from decent sources that Willard will be 1500 only in Berlin, no steeple. That would give the steeple spot to Lindsey Anderson.

Comment

Working...
                  X