double decathalon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double decathalon

details please, what events, how many days,what countries contest etc.

Re: double decathalon

It's my understanding that a double decathlon is nothing more than a decathlon done twice. I don't know of any country that does this regularly. There have been a few dd's held--I've always regarded them as just a fun gimmick, of interest to masochist (or macho) decathletes who want to do it, but not taken seriously by anyone else. It's certainly not an official event recognized by any rules that I know of.

Comment

ALL IN ONE DAY? Sounds even worse than 1 hour dec.

Comment

real men and real women only need apply...

Comment

and by the way satch please learn how to spell "Decathlon."

Comment

No it is not the same events - you add events like 5k - Hammer - Triple Jump - Steeple - only for the truly nuts

Comment

MORE DETAILS, sounds like good event for BATMAN, WHATS longest distance race?

Comment

Here's an article with the list of events from 2002 when Kip Janvrin set the world best:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... hlon_x.htm

The events and his marks were:
                Day one: 100 meters (11.42 seconds), long jump (22 feet, 3 1/2 inches), 200 hurdles (25.31), shot put (44-8 3/4), 5,000 (18 minutes, 23.97 seconds), 800 (2:02.46), high jump (6-1 1/2), 400 (50.64), hammer throw (112-5), 3,000 steeplechase (11:22.96).

Day two: 110 hurdles (15.23), discus (134-3), 200 (22.56), pole vault (16-2), 3,000 (10:13.16), 400 hurdles (54.40), javelin (191-4), 1,500 (4:35.76), triple jump (43-3), 10,000 (42:37.71).

Comment

Sheesh!! A 5,000m, 400m, 800m and Steeplechase all in the same day!! That'd be enough to kill a normal person!

Comment

http://www.dmultis.org/ is a good link with lots of info about the double decath, if you're interested.

Adam

Comment

thanks guys, you really do learn something new every day.

Comment

Yes, the double decathlon is every track event, 20 events done over 2 days. It's freaking amazing.

Comment

There is a meet in Sweden or Finland held every year, I think. Maybe in both places. From the results I have seen, elite decathletes don't tend to do this. They tend to whine about 1500, can't see them joyfully running a 10K, steeple and 5K.

Comment

Back in the olden days, they used to have a race walk in there too.

Comment

For any of us that want the sport to receive more public attention, we should probably pay more attention to this event. I distinctly recall reading about Janvrin's performance in my local paper (or possibly even the New York Times?) This event is clearly something that the average fan can relate to: insanely excessive athletic self-abuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X