Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: double decathalon

I can't believe you people are giving respect to this nonsense. Do you know why none of you are familiar with this silly event? Because the only people who compete at it are those who can't compete at the the real decathlon. It's purely recreational- like masters track and field. Eventually those who are no good at the double decathlon will invent the quadruple decathlon. They'll add tiddly-winks, steer-wrestling, and a greased pig contest.
    The spelling of this thread is perfect.

Comment

DECATHLON, DECATHLON ,Decathlon--now go to your room Satch and work on your grammer!

Comment

>DECATHLON, DECATHLON ,Decathlon--now go to your room Satch and work on your grammer!<

Grammer? Perhaps you should work on your spelling while you're at it.

Comment

GRAMMAR, you little-------

Comment

>GRAMMAR, you little-------<

Sorry, Satch. I should have put a little smiley thing after my tweak, which I just couldn't resist.

Comment

I'm a decathlete, and I think it takes a tremendous amount of guts to do one of these. I'd bet no one could even approach Janvrin's score right now. He has a better balance of endurance and strength than probably anyone else on the planet. That is one incredible test of merit, not just for recreational athletes.

Comment

>I'm a decathlete, and I think it takes a tremendous amount of guts to do one of
                >these. I'd bet no one could even approach Janvrin's score right now. He has a
                >better balance of endurance and strength than probably anyone else on the
                >planet. That is one incredible test of merit, not just for recreational
                >athletes.

You're missing the point. And the fact that you claim to be a decathlete is no more to the point than if you were a bellydancer. No real decathlete would train for this silly event because it's not a real event. And I hate to burst your Janvrin bubble, but his balance is very out-of-balance in the decathlon. The tables play to the speed/power events. Ask Dan O'Brien or Chris Huffins or tom Pappas why they don't train as hard for the 1500m as Janvrin did. If you want to know whether the double decathlon warrants our respect or not, simply look at how many of the top decathletes actually waste their time competing in it. And with all due respect to Kip Janvrin, he doesn't count. History won't remember him for his greatness. Only his longevity.

Comment

Bingo. The truth hurts.

Comment

In any case, I think it would be foolish for an elite decathlete to compete in one of these due to the high risk of injury.

Comment

You're missing the point. And the fact that you
                      >claim to be a decathlete is no more to the point than if you were a
                      >bellydancer. No real decathlete would train for this silly event because it's
                      >not a real event. And I hate to burst your Janvrin bubble, but his balance is
                      >very out-of-balance in the decathlon. The tables play to the speed/power
                      >events. Ask Dan O'Brien or Chris Huffins or tom Pappas why they don't train as
                      >hard for the 1500m as Janvrin did. If you want to know whether the double
                      >decathlon warrants our respect or not, simply look at how many of the top
                      >decathletes actually waste their time competing in it. And with all due
                      >respect to Kip Janvrin, he doesn't count. History won't remember him for his
                      >greatness. Only his longevity.

No, you're missing the point. The double decathlon is not for conventional decathletes, it's not supposed to be. Of course Dan O'Brien wouldn't have a prayer in the double decathlon. That's like saying the 10,000m doesn't count as a real race because El G doesn't compete in it. It is a totally different event. I reiterate, I believe Janvrin has the best combination of endurance, proven by the double decathlon events such as 10,000m, 5,000m, etc., and strength, proven by the conventional decathlon events like throwing and jumping. You could make the same argument against the regular decathlon that they're not good enough to compete in one event individually, so they had to put together 10 events to prove they had the best overall athletic balance. Well, the double decathlon is simply an extension of that, only now it involves the grueling endurance events. Janvrin's accomplishment here warrants respect, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Guess how many football fans don't acknowledge any track and field accomplishments, well you're showing the same bias right here.

Comment

No, you're missing the point. The double decathlon is not for
                        >conventional decathletes, it's not supposed to be. Of course Dan O'Brien
                        >wouldn't have a prayer in the double decathlon. That's like saying the 10,000m
                        >doesn't count as a real race because El G doesn't compete in it. It is a
                        >totally different event. I reiterate, I believe Janvrin has the best
                        >combination of endurance, proven by the double decathlon events such as
                        >10,000m, 5,000m, etc., and strength, proven by the conventional decathlon
                        >events like throwing and jumping. You could make the same argument against the
                        >regular decathlon that they're not good enough to compete in one event
                        >individually, so they had to put together 10 events to prove they had the best
                        >overall athletic balance. Well, the double decathlon is simply an extension of
                        >that, only now it involves the grueling endurance events. Janvrin's
                        >accomplishment here warrants respect, whether you choose to acknowledge it or
                        >not. Guess how many football fans don't acknowledge any track and field
                        >accomplishments, well you're showing the same bias right here.

OK Mr. Firebelly, the last time I checked, the 10,000m and the decathlon were Olympic events. So saying the double decathlon is a silly little joke played by recreational decathletes is nothing at all like saying the 10,000m isn't a real event, or that the decathlon is for athletes no good in any 1 event.
                        Furthermore, the double decathlon is NOT an extension of the decathlon. It is a recreational event created by pseudo-decathletes who were frustrated by their lack of fast twitch muscle fibers. That is why they added all endurance events and not more speed/power events.
                        And you are reaching with the "football bias" remark. I have spent my life in this sport as an athlete and now coach. If the double decathlon was an Olympic event and world class athletes competed at it, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. I would pull up a chair and enjoy the show. Until that day, the event will logically remain a joke.
                        Your last name isn't Shinnick, is it?

Comment

Well, I guess we'll have to just disagree. Although it's not an Olympic event, I have a great deal of respect for someone who completes a double decathlon, because it is incredibly grueling and arduous. This is along the same lines as those ultra 100mile runs, or other events of the same ilk. It may not be an elite Olympic event, but it is an incredible self-test of athletic ability.

Comment

why are the 200 hurdles included?

Comment

It seems to have gone uncommented-upon but Joe Detmer smashed the record for this event a month or so ago:
                              The decathlon All-American during his collegiate career at Wisconsin tallied 14,571 points in his 20 events, shattering Kip Janvrin's world double decathlon record by 386 points.
                              Detmer also set a world record for the highest decathlon score ever posted as part of a double decathlon competition. He racked up an incredible 7,741 points in the 10 traditional decathlon disciplines on Friday and Saturday.
                              http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... ewsID=5865

Results are on a pdf at the link, but here's an attempt of mine to cut and paste Detmer's results for you all:

100m 10.93
                              LJ 7.30
                              200mH 24.25
                              SP 12.27
                              5000m 18:25.3
                              800m 02:02.2
                              HJ 1.98
                              400m 50.43
                              HT 31.82
                              3000mSt 11:22.5
                              110mH 15.01
                              DT 40.73
                              200m 22.58
                              PV 4.85
                              3000m 10:26.0
                              400mH 53.83
                              JT 51.95
                              1500m 04:26.7
                              TJ 13.67
                              10000m 40:27.3

That's my new nomination for performance of the year!!!

Comment

Why "double decathlon"? Sounds analogous to calling decathlon double pentathlon. All logic says it should be called "icosathlon".

Comment

Working...
                                X