Clear All
  • Marlow
    • Jan 2008
    • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

10-year-old Girl Phenom

400 - 62.79
    800 - 2:25.78
    1500 - 4:54.4

Daesha Rogers. 1,000 things can go wrong (or right!) between now and 2020, but I'm rooting for her to keep having fun!
  • sprintblox
    • Jun 2008

Yawn. Those performances that young pretty much guarantee she'll be nowhere at 20 or older.

Comment

• Marlow
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sprintblox
      Yawn. Those performances that young pretty much guarantee she'll be nowhere at 20 or older.
      Or . . . since athletic talent is so heavily determined by genetics, she just might be the real deal. I agree these marks guarantee nothing in the future, but they are superb for her age, and gives her the inside track, so to speak, against her peers in HS and beyond.

Comment

• 26mi235
        • Oct 2005
        • Madison, WI

One good sign is the range from 400 to 1500

Comment

• rainy.here
          • Mar 2009

How physically developed is she? While those times are absurd for a 10 year old, if her body is already "14 years old" (compared to the physical maturity of your average north american girl), then she's still very good, but nowhere near the same level.

Comment

• Big Daddy
            • Jun 2009

Good times for someone so young. She has to keep working. She will improve over time.

Comment

• jenjen8765
              • Jan 2006

Or puberty will hit her like a Mack Truck, not including getting 'boy crazy' or burnt out, or coach/parent conflicts (or needing a parent-ectomy) or the whole other raft of distractions that can happen to anyone, with or without 'talent.'

Because athletics is a subset of the entertainment industry, it requires the careful management of 'hype.' But an athlete is DONE when they start actually believing the hype.

Comment

• catson52
                • Oct 2007

Fantastic times. Let's wish her the best for both results and longevity.

Comment

• Powell
                  • Oct 2005
                  • right here

How many 10-year old phenoms in history went on to be top stars at the senior level?
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• robert5744
                    • Mar 2009
                    • Los Angeles

I find it quite amusing when reading the threads and subsequent postings come up when talking about a very young athlete. Give me a break. This girl (not young lady) is 10 years old. How many 10 year olds in any sport or anything else for that matter turn out to be the next --------------------------(fill in the blank). Were talking about a child This is the same type of talk that goes on about some kid who hit a baseball, catch/throw a football, etc. With the exception of Tiger Woods among a very few others 10 year old phenoms are just that And yet, these types of threads are posted with the expectation that this one is really going to be the SUPER STAR of the future. Let this child be just that, a child. Shall we gather around in say 5-10 years and see what's happened to her?. IMO, let children, no matter what they do stay that child for as long as they can. Just a reminder how Michael Jackson was pushed and tormented by his father. Sure MJ reached the top, but what a price he paid. Just my thoughts.
                    "Hook Em Horns"

Comment

• Big Daddy
                      • Jun 2009

Well put Mista' Robert5744

Comment

• robert5744
                        • Mar 2009
                        • Los Angeles

Originally posted by Big Daddy
                        Well put Mista' Robert5744
                        Thank you sir.
                        "Hook Em Horns"

Comment

• Conor Dary
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Under the Tower

Originally posted by Big Daddy
                          Good times for someone so young. She has to keep working. She will improve over time.
                          Pretty unlikely. At age 10 the difference between boys and girls is negligible. It's when the hormones kick in at about age 14 that they diverge.

A few years ago, my old high school won the girls state cross country title. The following year all of the girls came back, but got 4th losing the state title to another team that had all freshmen on their first seven. That would never happen on the boys side.

PS. Also at my old HS the girls' school records for 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 are all held by sophomores.

Comment

• Marlow
                            • Jan 2008

I realize for every Mary Decker there are dozens of whatever-happened-to's, but Mary Decker DID do it, so THERE! :twisted:

Comment

• Powell
                              • Oct 2005
                              • right here

Originally posted by Marlow
                              I really for every Mary Decker there are dozens of whatever-happened-to's, but Mary Decker DID do it, so THERE! :twisted:
                              I know Decker was a child prodigy, but had she done anything of note before age 11?
                              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                              X