Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Looking for a meet for a sprinter somewhere -W. Coast

We are trying to find a good meet for a 20 something female sprinter we have to run the 200m.

We know about the all comers meets in Eugene but wonder about the fields in the women's sprints.

I know track pretty well shuts down in the US this time of year but if anyone can think of a meet which has reliably warm weather and some competition (we are looking for a 23-24s race) if they could let me know it would be much appreciated.

Re: Help! Looking for a meet for a sprinter somewhere -W. Co

Originally posted by mojo
    We are trying to find a good meet for a 20 something female sprinter we have to run the 200m.

We know about the all comers meets in Eugene but wonder about the fields in the women's sprints.

I know track pretty well shuts down in the US this time of year but if anyone can think of a meet which has reliably warm weather and some competition (we are looking for a 23-24s race) if they could let me know it would be much appreciated.
    Why cant you get a meet in your own country? We dont come up to Canada and say help me , help me ,can you get me a proper Moose or I need a Caribo and i need one now?! Sheesh.
    phsstt!

Comment

Re: Help! Looking for a meet for a sprinter somewhere -W. Co

Originally posted by SQUACKEE

Why cant you get a meet in your own country? We dont come up to Canada and say help me , help me ,can you get me a proper Moose or I need a Caribo and i need one now?! Sheesh.
      Notice how I didn't ask aboot beer?

Looks like I have to get that restraining order I have against you renewed....
      :twisted:

Comment

I think all of the all-comers meets in western WA are hand-timed, and the rest of the meets are mostly either youth or masters.

Comment

She will have to travel overseas to get into a quality meet. You might want to contact some of your connections to see what is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy
            She will have to travel overseas to get into a quality meet. You might want to contact some of your connections to see what is available.
            Thanks TD. I have no "connections" overseas and she has no funds to go anywhere outside of this region.

It sucks big time.
            She is very close to making standard to run at the Francophone Games-the only meet outside of the Worlds that are fully funded by Athletics Canada. :twisted:
            She has one chance here in two weeks but it is at a stadium known to have poor wind conditions.

Comment

There are auto-timed all-comers meets held at Los Gatos HS in Los Gatos, CA, pretty much every weekend in the early summer. Occiasionally you'll get some elite-level competition there, but I'm sure they'd also let an elite female compete against the men. Maggie Vessey (4th at US Nationals 800m) ran the 400m there a few weeks ago and finished 2nd in the men's race (53.6-ish). You can find info here: http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/XC/2009/lgac.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                There are auto-timed all-comers meets held at Los Gatos HS in Los Gatos, CA, pretty much every weekend in the early summer. Occiasionally you'll get some elite-level competition there, but I'm sure they'd also let an elite female compete against the men. Maggie Vessey (4th at US Nationals 800m) ran the 400m there a few weeks ago and finished 2nd in the men's race (53.6-ish). You can find info here: http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/XC/2009/lgac.htm
                Yep, nice track and location. I ran a all-comers mile there 20 years ago, nice to know they still run it.Lots of participants. Mojo -i would highly recommend Los Gatos! See i am being helpful, now where's that Moose? :P
                phsstt!

Comment

If you were able to get in it SQUACK I think we will pass! :shock: :P

Too much money and time to invest in going down to a meet like that.

Looks like we have to put a meet together ourselves.....sigh.

Comment

Mojo, what part of ACM escapes you? Hell, they'd even let me in. Course, I'd have to put out my cig :shock: In my memory, the LG ACs were on a weekday evening, but I can't remember the the day. Someone who lives in the south bay might have an answer.

? Does the Francophone accept hand times? If so, a local meet could be the solution. Twold save on travel expenses.

Good luck.

PS, I'm assuming that you are not interested in coming so far south as SD. There may be something going on at Chula Vista or the local school, but it gets preety warm in the summer.

Comment

I get what an all comers meet is-I just like to josh my good buddy Squack.

No hand times would be accepted. We have access to photo timing here so that is not a problem.

Love SD and Chula Vista but Maggie had to pay her way to our Nationals last weekend-over $1,000.00. She is student and saving up for university.

She would love to make the Francophone Games because it is fully funded by the gov't. It is in Beiruit of all places!

We have an athlete that has qualified for the Pan Am Juniors in Trinidad. It will cost her close to $3,000.00 to represent Canada.
                      Our club barely makes ends meet so we can't help the kids much.

We have decided to hold a meet July 25th. She won't have much comp(like zero) and who knows what the weather will be like. Not really feel the love to organize even a small meet but it must done .

It ain't easy trying to make it up here......

I appreciate all the replies.

Comment

Hey Mojo. Where will you be holding the meet? Are you on the west coast? Did you know about the Brooks Twilight meets in Ottawa?

Comment

Originally posted by Novianv2
                          Hey Mojo. Where will you be holding the meet? Are you on the west coast? Did you know about the Brooks Twilight meets in Ottawa?
                          I am on the west coast.

I have heard of that series but we have no travel funds for a trip like that.

Our meet will be in Victoria.

Comment

We have decided to hold a meet July 25th. She won't have much comp(like zero) and who knows what the weather will be like. Not really feel the love to organize even a small meet but it must done .
                            Are you going try inviting some of the faster BC runners? It's worth a shot, and there are a few who have the potential to run a reasonable time, though not many (any?) 23s that I know of.

Comment

Run a race with a few girls and guys. Surround her with the fast guys, put the slow girls in the outside lanes. Keep them separate in the results. Problem solved :P

Comment

Working...
                              X