Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steeplechase Doldrums?

I'm looking at the USA men's top 10 list and I see the fastest is at 8:26 and the 10th at 8:36. I can't remember many years when we've been that slow by the end of June. Is it just me or is our 'chasing slowing down?

I don't have the end of June data for the last several years, but comparing these times to the yearly rankings for the last several years shows that they're not far off. The norm for USA men's steeple lists in the past decade is to have one or two sub-8:20, and for the #10 time to be in the lower part of the 8:30s. There are exceptions, but here are the data for each year, with the list leader, other sub-8:20, #10 time:

8:17 Famigletti
    #10 8:32

8:15 Slattery
    8:19 Olinger
    #10 8:35

8:08 Lincoln
    8:19 Famigletti
    #10 8:34

8:12 Lincoln
    8:17 Slattery
    8:19 Olinger

8:15 Lincoln
    8:17 Famigletti
    8:19 Gary
    #10 8:30

8:22 Slattery
    #10 8:32

8:18 Broe
    #10 8:30

8:14 Broe
    #10 8:27

8:11 Crogan
    8:15 Dobert
    #10 8:26

8:18 Dobert

So, if one or two of this year's guys dips under 8:20, and if the #10 time stays about where it is right now, this year's list will look pretty much like the last decade's set of lists. It may turn out to be more like the 2003 list than one of the faster or deeper years, but at this point, it does not seem to be out line with recent history. This, of course, is just my humble interpretation, based on looking at this data.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
      This, of course, is just my humble interpretation, based on looking at this data.
      Actually you've convinced me that I've been hasty in my judgement, so thanks!

Comment

Someone said earlier this year on another thread on this site that Dan Lincoln was attempting a comeback. I don't know how accurate that was, but it doesn't seem likely to me given his medical responsibilities. Does anybody have any knowledge of his status? :?

Comment

He graduated from Arkansas in 2002 then earned a grad degree to stay eligible for 2002-2003 school year. He should have finished Medical School and his internship and be starting his residency. He may take another year or two for speciality training. My dermatologist had a year of training to be a dermatologist and another year of training to cure skin cancer--eight years of grad school! I'm here because he removed a tumor close to my eyes and brain.
          none

Comment

You think that's bad? Look at the UK standards! We've got about three athletes who can run faster than the women's WR!
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
              He graduated from Arkansas in 2002 then earned a grad degree to stay eligible for 2002-2003 school year. He should have finished Medical School and his internship and be starting his residency. He may take another year or two for speciality training. My dermatologist had a year of training to be a dermatologist and another year of training to cure skin cancer--eight years of grad school! I'm here because he removed a tumor close to my eyes and brain.
              While first-year residents are still called interns, the separate year-long general medicine internship prior to a specialized residency has largely disappeared (unless you are DO, which Lincoln is not).
              I remember reading somewhere that Lincoln was interested in orthopedic surgery, which entails a five-year residency and potentially a fellowship after if he wants to sub-specialize. If Lincoln is thinking about running again, he must still have some medical school left or is planning on postponing his medical training. Simply put, it's impossible to train in residency, especially if you're doing surgery.

Comment

Working...
              X