•an attempt to sort out the A-B situation for Berlin•

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• •an attempt to sort out the A-B situation for Berlin•

Once again, USATF changed the rules this year, so can't guarantee the accuracy of what's up with naming the team, but here's a best-guess from known data (which includes that they apparently only allowed top-6 finishers to actually sign up for processing in Eugene):

MEN:
    All 3 have A standard in 100, 200, 400, steeple, 110H, 400H, PV, SP, DT, and decathlon.

Others events settled are:

800: Symmonds (A), Robinson (A), Brown (B).

10K: Rupp (A), Ritzenhein (B), Nelson (A).

HJ: Harris (A), Manson (A), Moffatt (B).

JT: Hill (A), Hazle (A), Furey (B).

Unsettled are:
    1500: Lomong (B) & Manzano (A) are on team. Ulrey & Pifer don't have B's; Leer does. No one who competed in final has an A, though dnc Alan Webb does (remember Favor-Runyan in FOT).

5000: Tegenkamp (B) and Solinsky (A) are on team. Jager has a B, as does Asmerom and placers 5-7.Famiglietti (#8) has an A and would make team unless Tegenkamp runs an A (putting Jager on the team) or Jager-Asmerom runs an A (putting them on the team).

LJ: Phillips (A) & Johnson (A) are on team. Kitchens doesn't even have a B qualifier; Pate in 4th has an A and would make team. Prep Goodwin also has an A if somebody gets injured.

TJ: Roulhac (A) & Davis (A) are on team. Jenkins & Balumbu don't even have a B, so Bell in 5th (with B from last year) would be on team if neither gets it.

In 20K Walk, no one has a B.

In 50K Walk, only Phillip Dunn has a B (from 2008).

In HT, Kruger (A) and Freeman (B) are on team. 3rd placer Mai has B standard (from 2008).

WOMEN:
    All 3 have A standard in 100, 200, 400, 1500, steeple, 100H, 400H, HJ, PV, LJ, SP, DT, and HT.

Other events settled are:
    10K: Begley (A), Flanagan (A), McGregor (B).
    Hept: D. Pickler (A), Day (A), Wade (B).

Unsettled are:
    800: Clark (A) and Gall (B) are on team. Wright and Vessey have B, as do placers 5-7.

5K: With Goucher (A) declining this event, Rhines (A) is on the team. Bizzarri and Culley do not have the B standard, nor do placers 5-10. #11 Slattery and #13 Emily Brown have the B. And nonparticipant Flanagan (plus injured/retired Fleshman) have an A.

20K Walk: Vaill (B) on team. Dow also has a B.

TJ: Welsch (B) and McLain (A) are on team. Neither Smith nor Lewis has a B standard; nor do placers 5-10. #11 Marks-Johnson has an A from last year to make the team (possibly); no one else has a B.

JT: Patterson (A) and Yurkovich (B) are on team. Kreiner has a B, as does #5 Pounds-Lyon.

Great post, which will be a place to send posters that have the A/B thing wrong. Would it be possible for you to like the A and B that are needed for each of the relevant cases? Then this would be a really good reference thread worth bookmarking until August.

There are a few possible additional cases such as Willard deciding she might only do one event. Another addition might be listing the doublers that might select only one event.

Comment

I attempted to do the same on an earlier thread. I'll repost it here since it included the A and B marks needed. If any of the following is different from above, believe the above post.

From what I can tell, the first three have either three A's or two A's and a B for all events except the following:
      Men:
      1500: ( A = 3:36.20, B = 3:39.20 ) Lomong has a B, and Manzano has an A. Ulrey has neither, but Miller and Lukezic have B's for what it's worth.
      5000: ( A = 13:20.00, B = 13:29.00 ) Tegenkamp has a B, and Solinsky has an A. Jager has a B, but Famiglietti has an A.
      LJ: ( A = 8.15, B = 8.05 ) Phillips and Johnson have A's, but I don't even see a B for Kitchens. Pate does have an A.
      TJ: ( A = 17.10, B = 16.65 ) Roulhac and Davis have A's, but Jenkins does not have a B. Kenta Bell does have a B.
      HT: ( A = 77.50, B = 74.30 ) Kruger has an A and Freeman and Mai have B's.

Women:
      800: ( A = 2:00.00, B = 2:01.30 ) Clark has an A, and Gall and Wright have B's.
      5000: ( A = 15:10.00, B = 15:25.00 ) Goucher and Rhines have A's, but Bizzarri does not have a B. Sara Slattery does have a B.
      TJ: ( A = 14.20, B = 14.00 ) Welsh has a B, but McLain and Smith do not. Shani Marks has an A.
      JT: ( A = 61.00, B = 59.00 ) Patterson has an A, and Jurkovich and Kreiner have B's.

Comment

So Fleshmen is retired now? Wow, that's unfortunate.

Also, in the case of Webb having the "A" standard...does he become eligible for a WC birth even without having run the final?

I do not see another guy getting the "A" standard in the men's 1500m's. (What once looked like a promising event(outside of Lagat), has quickly fallen to a sad state!

I'd be interested to see what Willard's move will be also, but what other female has the "A" standard in the 1500m's to gain a birth as well...?

Comment

Originally posted by knite
          I'd be interested to see what Willard's move will be also, but what other female has the "A" standard in the 1500m's to gain a birth as well...?
          Since Wurth-Thomas and Rowbury have A's, the third member would only need a B, or 4:09.00, which Donahue has.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
            Since Wurth-Thomas and Rowbury have A's, the third member would only need a B, or 4:09.00, which Donahue has.
            Thank you! And you are a good man that I can see, you being from a great state! :wink:

Comment

I do not see another guy getting the "A" standard in the men's 1500m's. (What once looked like a promising event(outside of Lagat), has quickly fallen to a sad state!
              He doesn't need to chase the standard, but there's a decent chance Lomong will get the A before Berlin.

Comment

Thanks Garry. One longshot addition may be Barringer at 5000. Heats are 19Aug, final 22Aug. She has the "A" and may want to begin cross-country training with a couple of 5000s. Her 1500 speed would help in tactical 5000s.

Rhines and Barringer have As while Slattery has a B. She didn't make the Osaka final but flew to Paris and ran Decanation in 2007 then flew to Colorado to join her teammates.
                none

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                  Men:
                  1500: ( A = 3:36.20, B = 3:39.20 ) Lomong has a B, and Manzano has an A. Ulrey has neither, but Miller and Lukezic have B's for what it's worth.
                  It seems Lomong is easily capable of the A as is Lukezic; Miller is a long shot but it would not likely help him as he would be behind others likely to get it
                  5000: ( A = 13:20.00, B = 13:29.00 ) Tegenkamp has a B, and Solinsky has an A. Jager has a B, but Famiglietti has an A.
                  Teg is a shoe-in here if he does not get injured. In a time-trial race I have to think Jager has another several seconds relative to the Trials race pattern
                  LJ: ( A = 8.15, B = 8.05 ) Phillips and Johnson have A's, but I don't even see a B for Kitchens. Pate does have an A.
                  TJ: ( A = 17.10, B = 16.65 ) Roulhac and Davis have A's, but Jenkins does not have a B. Kenta Bell does have a B.
                  The jumpers have good marks, but wind-aided - these are not out of reach and jumpers need good runways, not special competition situations

Women:
                  800: ( A = 2:00.00, B = 2:01.30 ) Clark has an A, and Gall and Wright have B's.
                  5000: ( A = 15:10.00, B = 15:25.00 ) Goucher and Rhines have A's, but Bizzarri does not have a B. Sara Slattery does have a B.
                  sub-2:00 is a stretch here but Bizzarri looked really good and ran like a racer - I hope that she picks up the mark and think she is capable
                  TJ: ( A = 14.20, B = 14.00 ) Welsh has a B, but McLain [has an A] and Smith do not. Shani Marks has an A.
                  JT: ( A = 61.00, B = 59.00 ) Patterson has an A, and Jurkovich and Kreiner have B's.
                  McLain [has her mark]
                  Kreiner has been there before her injury - if she is really back she should get there again

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                    TJ: ( A = 14.20, B = 14.00 ) Welsh has a B, but McLain and Smith do not. Shani Marks has an A.
                    McLain has wind-aided marks, maybe she can get one without too much assitance. Kreiner has been there before her injury - if she is really back she should get there again
                    As I noted above, the original post should be viewed as the definitive list. I missed an indoor A mark for McLain from 2008. So the original post correctly states that McLain has the A, while mine is incorrect.

Comment

Re: an attempt to sort out the A-B situation for Berlin

Originally posted by gh
                      TJ: Roulhac (A) & Davis (A) are on team. Jenkins & Balumbu don't even have a B, so Bell in 5th (with B from last year) would be on team if neither gets it.
                      I am still totally baffled as to why Claye didn't compete w/ the Srs. It certainly was NOT that he or his coaches didn't want him to 'compete', cuz he sure did in both the Jr LJ and TJ. Well enough to finish 2nd in the Sr comp, plus he has the A. Goodwin did both. Claye could have turned down the berth if he and his coaches thought it was 'too much'. He could have taken one jump in the Jr comp to qualify for PanAmJrs if that was his desire.

Comment

I'm still confused about Webb's eligiblity to compete in Berlin (might be a moot point). He'd met the "A" standard, yet failed to compete in the USATAF Final.
                        If his injury heals rapidly enough to allow him to compete, would he be eligible? And, if someone else makes the "A" standard, where would that leave Webb (assuming that he's fit enough to compete in Berlin)?

Comment

Only those who finished in the top 6 in Eugene were processed for Berlin consideration. That was the rules going in.

Comment

2009 World Championship entry rules, performance standards

Useful and authoritative information on this subject can be seen at:
                            http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/stand...sid=47761.html

USATF procedures re selection to World Championships team can be seen at: http://www.usatf.org/events/2009/IAA...Procedures.asp

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Only those who finished in the top 6 in Eugene were processed for Berlin consideration. That was the rules going in.
                              I know better than to state anything with certainty when it comes to these procedures, but I'm pretty sure only those athletes placing in the top 4 in Eugene can chase an "A" standard. Of course, the following doesn't address anyone chasing the "B" standard.

FROM USATF
                              Other Qualification:
                              If each of the top four (4) rank order finishers has not achieved the IAAF “A” standard, each athlete among the top four (4) finishers who has not achieved the “A” standard will have until midnight PDT on July 31, 2009 to achieve the “A” standard.

Don't know the reason, but I've heard that Famiglietti will not compete in Berlin, even if he's the next eligible qualifier.

A "B" who finished in the top three in Eugene is automatically on the team. If there are two "B" qualifiers in the top three after the deadline of July 31, only the higher placing "B" goes to Berlin.

Comment

Working...
                              X