X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
    FROM USATF
    Other Qualification:
    If each of the top four (4) rank order finishers has not achieved the IAAF “A” standard, each athlete among the top four (4) finishers who has not achieved the “A” standard will have until midnight PDT on July 31, 2009 to achieve the “A” standard.
    If the 7th placer already had the A standard before the trials, and nobody else but the top 2 had the A standard on or after the trials, can the 7th placer go to Berlin? Or is the 7th placer out of it because they didn't finish in the top 4?

Comment

All of which brings us full circle to my statement at this point last year (and probably years before that): enough of this foolishness! Nobody who chases a standard after the Nationals ever does anything significant at the OG/WC anyway. Pick the team at the Trials meet and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        All of which brings us full circle to my statement at this point last year (and probably years before that): enough of this foolishness! Nobody who chases a standard after the Nationals ever does anything significant at the OG/WC anyway. Pick the team at the Trials meet and leave it at that.
        I actually like the 'pick-the-team-at-the-Trials' concept, but this scenario also makes for good summer theater, watching the chasers chase.

Comment

As noted by others, I really appreciate gh's efforts here, and subsequent posts to this thread.

Not that my opinion matters, but I too would like to see a simpler system that actually resulted in picking the team at the USATF meet. But oh well, not as many events are unsettled as I originally thought at the time of the meet.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I understand your point, but there are exceptions.

For example, at our trials, second place in the long jump had a just- illegal jump that would have made the A standard. He had already made the B standard, and because the winner of the competition made the A standard we will be able to send two jumpers to a Games for the first time in... well, in my memory.

However, the third place jumper also made the B standard. If either the second or third place jumper make the A standard before the cut-off date, my understanding is that we will be able to send all three of them to Berlin. That's something that hasn't been even contemplated for a long, long time.

So, making the standard post-trials has its place too.
            Regards,
            toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
              Originally posted by Walt Murphy
              FROM USATF
              Other Qualification:
              If each of the top four (4) rank order finishers has not achieved the IAAF “A” standard, each athlete among the top four (4) finishers who has not achieved the “A” standard will have until midnight PDT on July 31, 2009 to achieve the “A” standard.
              If the 7th placer already had the A standard before the trials, and nobody else but the top 2 had the A standard on or after the trials, can the 7th placer go to Berlin? Or is the 7th placer out of it because they didn't finish in the top 4?
              USATF still wants to take the greatest number of qualifiers, so, yes, that 7th placer would go to Berlin if there were only two qualified athletes ahead of him/her. The 4th-place "rule" applies only to those athletes chasing a standard.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I think that several new, emerging stars deserve the chance to get the marks. In the case of the TJ, the athlete has good marks but with aiding wind. Because of the way the rules were formulated this year, Tegenkamp was not worried about getting an "A" before the Trials (and has been close twice). While he would go under the AAB standard, his club/training mate would not. Do you doubt that Teg can get that mark in any reasonable race?

Finally, Kreiner has been there before and is moving back towards the high level she was at two years ago, it would be a shame for her to miss it again after injury interrupted her great year.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Only those who finished in the top 6 in Eugene were processed for Berlin consideration. That was the rules going in.
                  I'm now told that sanity prevailed and they processed "everybody" who might be eligible so as not to lose potential team members.

So 11th-placer Shani Marks could still end up on the wTJ team.

Comment

Re: an attempt to sort out the A-B situation for Berlin

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by gh
                    TJ: Roulhac (A) & Davis (A) are on team. Jenkins & Balumbu don't even have a B, so Bell in 5th (with B from last year) would be on team if neither gets it.
                    I am still totally baffled as to why Claye didn't compete w/ the Srs. It certainly was NOT that he or his coaches didn't want him to 'compete', cuz he sure did in both the Jr LJ and TJ. Well enough to finish 2nd in the Sr comp, plus he has the A. Goodwin did both. Claye could have turned down the berth if he and his coaches thought it was 'too much'. He could have taken one jump in the Jr comp to qualify for PanAmJrs if that was his desire.
                    A T&FN conversation with Oklahoma assistant Jeremy Fischer that I believe I alluded to a couple of weeks back:

<<, "Will has already had the longest season of his life, including indoors. There still are things for him to work on technically. There's a lot left for him to learn.

"He can look forward to the World Juniors in '10. There is a Chinese kid
                    over 17m this year. And Will will have his hands full in the long jump just
                    with kids his age like Bryce Lamb, Marquise Goodwin and Christian Taylor.

"It would be too much for him to do the seniors at USAs as well as the Jrs.
                    Yes, he might jump farther than the Sr. winner [in TJ] but he doesn't need
                    the pressure. The MAIN thing [Fischer's emphasis] is to not push him too
                    soon." >>

Comment

Re: an attempt to sort out the A-B situation for Berlin

Originally posted by gh
                      "It would be too much for him to do the seniors at USAs as well as the Jrs. Yes, he might jump farther than the Sr. winner [in TJ] but he doesn't need
                      the pressure. The MAIN thing [Fischer's emphasis] is to not push him too
                      soon." >>
                      Good enough - thanks! I'm still unclear what the 'pressure' is in TJing, because you do the exact same thing no matter whom you are competing against, but in any case, they know LOTS gooder what he needs than some ninny computer-jockey in Sunblister, FL!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

we had this discussion 10 days ago... the mental pressure of competing outside (i.e., above) your peer group can be intense.

Comment

Originally posted by knite
                          So Fleshmen is retired now? Wow, that's unfortunate.
                          Not true at all.

Coming back from a navicular stress fx - these things take time. She may run a low-key meet near the end of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            we had this discussion 10 days ago... the mental pressure of competing outside (i.e., above) your peer group can be intense.
                            I must be immune. I raced some 20-somethings in the 110H, got smoked, and didn't feel a thing! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              As a teenager with lots of ability, I would think it would be a hoot. Loads of fun, very little pressure because your not supposed to be that good anyway at that age. So what if you lose? Your a teenager with the world in front of you. I have a hard time believing the theory that there is "intense pressure." No offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                                As noted by others, I really appreciate gh's efforts here, and subsequent posts to this thread.

Not that my opinion matters, but I too would like to see a simpler system that actually resulted in picking the team at the USATF meet. But oh well, not as many events are unsettled as I originally thought at the time of the meet.
                                How much simpler would it need to get other than to have a cutoff for the time of achieving the standard with the USATF meet itself. Since they give you time from the prior year, i.e. Webb's A was done in 2008 for example, then the summer chasers whose fitness is close can go get the standard for the following year.

Comment

Working...
                                X