Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's surprising to me that qualifying times from 2008 are eligible when they may in no way correlate with an athlete's current fitness.
    What would you think would be a reasonable cut-off point? I recognize that, for many athletes, the program would call for training hard in the Spring and early Summer, and attempting to peak in mid-August, so that running a fast 1500m (for example) in early June might be difficult.
    I'd especially thought that Webb was planning his training along those lines.

Comment

Anyone know of any meets in the U.S. or Canada where people will try to get their "A" standard?

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
        Originally posted by gh
        we had this discussion 10 days ago... the mental pressure of competing outside (i.e., above) your peer group can be intense.
        As a teenager with lots of ability, I would think it would be a hoot. Loads of fun, very little pressure because your not supposed to be that good anyway at that age. So what if you lose? Your a teenager with the world in front of you. I have a hard time believing the theory that there is "intense pressure." No offense.
        It's also possible they were referring to scholastic pressure, since he's going to summer school and losing a week or more in Europe (to say nothing of having to maintain a monster training load) would obvioiusly compromise that.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          (to say nothing of having to maintain a monster training load)
          Good point. Competing is NOTHING compared to the training required to stay at the top in TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
            Anyone know of any meets in the U.S. or Canada where people will try to get their "A" standard?
            I would guess that a number of them will be held in Chula Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by gh
              (to say nothing of having to maintain a monster training load)
              Good point. Competing is NOTHING compared to the training required to stay at the top in TJ.
              Yes, well put. My brain was in two dimensional mode and did not comprehend that other dimension at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                As noted by others, I really appreciate gh's efforts here, and subsequent posts to this thread.

Not that my opinion matters, but I too would like to see a simpler system that actually resulted in picking the team at the USATF meet. But oh well, not as many events are unsettled as I originally thought at the time of the meet.
                I agree. This is why I prefer limiting OT/USAT&F to athletes with the "A" qualifying marks, or the top eight. Let's begin in 2010.
                none

Comment

Has anyone else noted how much more apropos the subject line on this thread is since I glued it to the top of the queue? i.e., with "sticky" as the first word? Can't think of a better descriptor.

Comment

as in Wicket 8-)

Comment

Pifer is slated to attempt the "A" tonight at an all-comers at historic Hayward Field.

http://tinyurl.com/lve5bf

Comment

I give up, what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          3:38.06, per letsrun. He's going if Lomong gets the A and Ulrey does not go A or B.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/i...l-comers-meet/

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                              Originally posted by gh
                              3:38.06, per letsrun. He's going if Lomong gets the A and Ulrey does not go A or B.
                              Not now. 1500 team is now set after Ulrey's 3:35.23 in Rome.

Honestly, I have no idea how he got into that field, but he certainly earned his ticket to Berlin. Two straight "races of his life" (to pull a quote from another thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by marathondave
                                Not now. 1500 team is now set after Ulrey's 3:35.23 in Rome.
                                Ya know what? He may totally bomb out in the first round in Berlin, but ya gotta give him props for finishing top 3 in Eugene and now successfully chasing the standard. Good for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X