X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by az2004
    for vessey, getting the timing of her kick just right is so problematic..

you have eugene, trials, where she finished fast, but in 4th...

monaco, the russian fades...
    The Russian had taken the lead early and been leading long - if she had not faded she would have been in 1:56 territory, so fading is to be expected, not seen as a very fortunate thing she lucked into. Winning one of these can happen by luck (though not many Americans have won any by luck or any other means very often until this year), but winning four is a sign that it is not just luck.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrome Dome
    So, to recap a bit, excluding the walks, there will be at least 3 entries in each event except:

men's HT - 2
    women's 5K - 2
    women's JT - 2
    women's TJ - 2

Is this right?
    Does anybody know?
    there are 3 in the men's hammer... Jake Freeman gets an IAAF A for winning the NACAC title (area champion)

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I just hope she doesn't make a tactical mistake in the heats or semis Berlin and find herself not making the final.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    for vessey, getting the timing of her kick just right is so problematic..

you have eugene, trials, where she finished fast, but in 4th...

monaco, the russian fades...

a lot of this is about having the room to make the move....

in a tactical 800 in berlin, i suspect it's not gonna be a clear open run for vessey...

as to running to get a mark, i'm fine with it, as the early USA trials makes it tough to be in top shape and maintain thru a worlds..

make the team, and peak on the way to the worlds getting the mark you need...

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    I am a huge fan of standard-chasing - NOT !
    Fill up the top two places in each event after the Trials, and the third, if they have the A standard. The current criteria is good in that a B standard who is ready to run well at Trials can go, without closing the other spots to an A standard achiever. And make the "standard chasing rules" clear to any who are trying for the 3rd spot. Will it be based on place at Trials, or how fast you can run after Trials, or some combination thereof? In the current "for instance", it would be crazy if Vessey didn't get to go to Berlin...

Leave a comment:

• Chrome Dome
    replied
    So, to recap a bit, excluding the walks, there will be at least 3 entries in each event except:

men's HT - 2
    women's 5K - 2
    women's JT - 2
    women's TJ - 2

Is this right?
    Does anybody know?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Gall has no need to run; there's no scenario of Q's that can put her off the team.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Info on Gall's plans (mile road race as stated before) here
    http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/runn ... -mile.html

Letsrun thinks Wright is done as well.
    http://www.letsrun.com/2009/vessey15780.php

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by gh
    The speed dialer expires after Stockholm on Friday.
    Apparently Wright has called it a season; would she decline the spot if Gall gets an "A" in the next two days? Is Gall in any 800s before the end of the month - DN Galan only as a national-level 800 on the program for Friday?

Especially when it involves adding a third person that would not otherwise go, does it really matter that the individual chasing the mark and getting it does not make a major impact on the event final? They still accomplish a major goal and it does not seem to me that the only consideration is this one championship meet and the viewing enjoyment of a select few.
    Someone has already stated that she's doing a mile race this weekend in Mich...

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Apparently Wright has called it a season; would she decline the spot if Gall gets an "A" in the next two days? Is Gall in any 800s before the end of the month - DN Galan only as a national-level 800 on the program for Friday?

Especially when it involves adding a third person that would not otherwise go, does it really matter that the individual chasing the mark and getting it does not make a major impact on the event final? They still accomplish a major goal and it does not seem to me that the only consideration is this one championship meet and the viewing enjoyment of a select few.

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    They both have "A" standards?
    Rhines A from Oslo last year.
    Culley B from Liege.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    So Vessey needs to have Tonya Harding on "speed dial" up through Sunday!

:lol: ops: ( I know poor in taste, but funny....LOL)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by gh
    All of which brings us full circle to my statement at this point last year (and probably years before that): enough of this foolishness! Nobody who chases a standard after the Nationals ever does anything significant at the OG/WC anyway. Pick the team at the Trials meet and leave it at that.
    Well Vessey now has more major wins in the 800 than anyone. If the uncertainties of the Kenyan 'J's continues, she certainly rates as a contender if not a favorite for the podium. In addition, she absolutely epitomizes the 'chasing' aspect, having run numerous races right up toward the end the window (and was looking at running Friday if necessary).

If she medals, will this notion that chasing a Q being a bad thing be much diminished?
    Having seen dozens founder on the rocks after hard Q chases, my position remains unchanged. And would remain unchanged even should she score big. One (potential) outlier vs. common sense isn't enough evidence for me.

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Current 800 situation is this:

Clark A
    Vessey A
    Gall B

3 scenarios which would bounce Vessey:

Clark A
    Gall A
    Wright A

Clark A
    Gall A
    Wright B

Clark A
    Wright A
    Gall B
    So Vessey needs to have Tonya Harding on "speed dial" up through Sunday!

:lol: ops: ( I know poor in taste, but funny....LOL)

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    All of which brings us full circle to my statement at this point last year (and probably years before that): enough of this foolishness! Nobody who chases a standard after the Nationals ever does anything significant at the OG/WC anyway. Pick the team at the Trials meet and leave it at that.
    Well Vessey now has more major wins in the 800 than anyone. If the uncertainties of the Kenyan 'J's continues, she certainly rates as a contender if not a favorite for the podium. In addition, she absolutely epitomizes the 'chasing' aspect, having run numerous races right up toward the end the window (and was looking at running Friday if necessary).

If she medals, will this notion that chasing a Q being a bad thing be much diminished?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X