Clear All

• notable high jumping in Moscow today

1. Ivan Ukhov (29.03.86) 2,34
    2. Yaroslav Rybakov (22.11.80) 2,34
    3. Sylwester Bednarek 89 (POL) 2,34
    4. Andrey Tereshin (15.12.82) 2,34
    5. Artem Zaytsev 84 (BLR) 2,34
    6. Aleksandr Shustov (13.08.84) 2,34

7-8, the highest 6th ever in a non-Championships setting.

Re: notable high jumping in Moscow today

Originally posted by gh
    1. Ivan Ukhov (29.03.86) 2,34
    2. Yaroslav Rybakov (22.11.80) 2,34
    3. Sylwester Bednarek 89 (POL) 2,34
    4. Andrey Tereshin (15.12.82) 2,34
    5. Artem Zaytsev 84 (BLR) 2,34
    6. Aleksandr Shustov (13.08.84) 2,34

7-8, the highest 6th ever in a non-Championships setting.
    Umm, wow! The thing that impresses me the most is that Bednarek is barely 20.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

According to the result link only Uhkov and Rybakov jumped 2.34m, Bednarek was third with 2.25m. I'd looked this morning so gh's post gave me a WTF moment :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
        According to the result link only Uhkov and Rybakov jumped 2.34m, Bednarek was third with 2.25m. I'd looked this morning so gh's post gave me a WTF moment :shock:
        Good catch, Mark!

1 2.34 UKHOV
        2 2.34 RYBAKOV
        3 2.25 BEDNAREK
        4 2.25 TERESHIN
        5 2.25 ZAYTSEV
        6 2.25 SHUSTOV

Comment

Then one of my foreign agents is in deep doodoo!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Then one of my foreign agents is in deep doodoo!
            Fire the sumbe-otch! :P

Comment

Two Russians over 2.34m is still pretty good jumping! Just for once, I'd love to see every Russian high jumper peak in the same competition! Actually, the same season would work too...

Anyone have news on what shape Silnov is in? He was a disappointing at Pre and that's the only result of his I've seen.

Comment

Yes! Ukhov is No1 in the world now and Rybakov is still up there. The question is Silnov.
                Who else can threaten Ukhov in Berlin? Spank, Ioannou? Somebody else? Manson? It should be possible but I can't really see it.

Comment

There was a thread on the Moscow meet here already.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                    I know! and thank you, but I was so stunned by this Mihnevich with his 21.00 and 21.02 that I forgot to post

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                      Yes! Ukhov is No1 in the world now and Rybakov is still up there. The question is Silnov.
                      Who else can threaten Ukhov in Berlin? Spank, Ioannou? Somebody else? Manson? It should be possible but I can't really see it.
                      Honestly, I think it is Ukhov's medal. Silnov was definitely top dog in 2008, but since his injury he hasn't done much at all. His best this season is an abysmal 2.21m, whereas Ukhov has cleared 2.34 three times. Rybakov can't seem to get past 2.35m outdoors and I have a feeling Ukhov will go at least that high in Berlin. Manson is wildly inconsistent and the rest of the jumpers would need life time performances to beat Ukhov. Granted, I know his outdoor PR is not that impressive but having cleared that height three times in just a few weeks tells me he has much more in him if he peaks well. He's not the same jumper he was a year ago.
                      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                        I know! and thank you, but I was so stunned by this Mihnevich with his 21.00 and 21.02 that I forgot to post
                        I do my best to do whatever it takes to keep interesting things from being buried in the middle of a 27-subject meet thread.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I do my best to do whatever it takes to keep interesting things from being buried in the middle of a 27-subject meet thread.
                          Hmmm... but if you'd read the other thread, you would have known there weren't 6 guys clearing 2.34.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Hmmm... but if you'd read the other thread, you would have known there weren't 6 guys clearing 2.34.
                            So what? I for one always appreciate outstanding performances being broken out from one general thread where they get buried. It's very rare that misinformation gets highlighted...

Back to high jumping: I haven't got a clue what will happen this summer. It's great that Uhkov is showing such consistency, but with the Russians tendency to suddenly go off the boil I can only hope that he maintains his form and gets back to heights approaching, or exceeding, 2.40m. The others are so inconsistent I think it's impossible to predict who else will be in the mix.

What's the nature of Silnov's injury? Anyone know? If Ukhov prevails this summer what a turnaround from his disgrace in 2008! A great story which says a lot about him, in my opinion.

Comment

not really: this was the sum total of information given there: <<Ukhov and Rybakov both cleared 2.34 in the HJ competition.>>

Comment

Working...
                              X