Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCLA Track

Forgive me if I am late to the party on this, but I did not see any post on the topic. Noticed that Art Venegas, head coach for the UCLA mens team will not be returning to coach next season. Most notably, he will not be returning as the throws coach. UCLA has not had the level of success they were accustomed to for some time (and of course not going to lay all the blame on the head coach as there are always multiple factors). However who would be an appropriate candidate to bring the program back to National Priominence? I

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=36179

(and I tweaked the subject line to make it more easily findable)

Comment

Re: UCLA Track

Originally posted by Trackfan310
      Forgive me if I am late to the party on this, but I did not see any post on the topic. Noticed that Art Venegas, head coach for the UCLA mens team will not be returning to coach next season. Most notably, he will not be returning as the throws coach. UCLA has not had the level of success they were accustomed to for some time (and of course not going to lay all the blame on the head coach as there are always multiple factors). However who would be an appropriate candidate to bring the program back to National Priominence? I
      How about ex-Bruin Dwight Stones or ex Florida throws coach Larry Judge he had some success in "Gatorville" maybe he could duplicate what he did down there???????

Comment

Tragic to see Venegas (a great guy and acquaintance) go.... but it's time to move on and find a new coach to bring UCLA back to the top. Apparently, UCLA track is really, really, really in a tight budget crunch. I know a lot of others are, but the $$$ situation in Westwood sounds like it must be one of the most dire of all major D1 programs....

That said, here's my wish-list/dream team:

Ato Boldon -- co-Director of T&F (very personable and would be great for int'l recruiting, still gets paid for broadcasting, so no need for $$)
        Bobby Kersee -- co-Director of T&F (take over both m and w sprints/hurdles, still gets paid from pros, so need for $$)
        Dave Dumble -- throws coach (need to lure him away from ASU. He's a great recruiter, he's young, 3-time Asst Coach of the Year, and a former Bruin All-American)
        John Smith -- sprints (see Kersee above, will work with him and still get paid from his pro gigs)
        Danny Everett -- all-around assistant and L.A. area recruiter (currently coaching at a private High School, a true gem of a person, a great Bruin and Olympic Gold medalist)
        Willie Banks -- jumps coach (has a law degree, JD, from UCLA, one of the all-time greatest jumpers in history, former WR holder and 3-time Olympian)
        Curran - retain as PV/jumps coach

Comment

Certainly agree about Everett and Banks. And Smoke (D. Smith) - why not? If the energy is there, perhaps Tellez?

Comment

Isn't there an NCAA stricture of some sort relative to head coaches working with professional athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
              Tragic to see Venegas (a great guy and acquaintance) go.... but it's time to move on and find a new coach to bring UCLA back to the top. Apparently, UCLA track is really, really, really in a tight budget crunch. I know a lot of others are, but the $$$ situation in Westwood sounds like it must be one of the most dire of all major D1 programs....

That said, here's my wish-list/dream team:

Ato Boldon -- co-Director of T&F (very personable and would be great for int'l recruiting, still gets paid for broadcasting, so no need for $$)
              Bobby Kersee -- co-Director of T&F (take over both m and w sprints/hurdles, still gets paid from pros, so need for $$)
              Dave Dumble -- throws coach (need to lure him away from ASU. He's a great recruiter, he's young, 3-time Asst Coach of the Year, and a former Bruin All-American)
              John Smith -- sprints (see Kersee above, will work with him and still get paid from his pro gigs)
              Danny Everett -- all-around assistant and L.A. area recruiter (currently coaching at a private High School, a true gem of a person, a great Bruin and Olympic Gold medalist)
              Willie Banks -- jumps coach (has a law degree, JD, from UCLA, one of the all-time greatest jumpers in history, former WR holder and 3-time Olympian)
              Curran - retain as PV/jumps coach
              sounds really awesome wish that would happen!!!

Comment

Pass the word, I am highly interested in returning MY program to the top

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                  Pass the word, I am highly interested in returning MY program to the top
                  Who would you want as assistants?

Comment

dont want nor am i qualified for the head job, I want the sprint/hurdles job

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Isn't there an NCAA stricture of some sort relative to head coaches working with professional athletes?
                      If so, it a rule that doesn't seem to have been enforced in nearly any instance where it occurs (Baylor, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, Kansas State, LSU, Texas A&M, etc.).

Comment

NCAA coaches are required to report other sources of income to the ncaa, but there are no limits. Individual school Athletic Directors vary on the amount of freedom (distraction?) they allow their coaches in this area.

Comment

Mason Finley now headed to Kansas:

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_12773194

Comment

how about jeneatte bolden just take over the sprints...she's had really great success with the women so far. i wonder how this effects her recruits at all?

Comment

Originally posted by duckedup
                              how about jeneatte bolden just take over the sprints...she's had really great success with the women so far. i wonder how this effects her recruits at all?
                              Why would it? Was Venegas Dir of track and field (i.e., was he Bolden's supervisor?)?

Comment

Working...
                              X