Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&FN's First WC Men's Medal Picks

While I like Leo Manzano, I really wasn't expecting to see him picked for Bronze. Yes, he's improving, yes he no doubt had a solid winter training at altitude in Mexico, yes he has a pretty good kick. But he couldn't run LL down at the Trials and I just don't see him there quite yet.

Best race of the meet - 400, men's and women's. Men's to see if JW can climb back up or if LM will hold him off. Women's to see if TBO can once again peak like Viren and if SR can go rounds. There were rounds at the Trials, right?

I agree that the pick of Manzano would seem to be "way out there". I will be pulling for him, but a top 8 finish would be a wonderful accomplishment!

I doubt if Roberts will medal also. And the 400 H will go to either Jackson or Isa Phillips I would think.

I think Dwight Phillips will win the long jump in a terrific battle with about 3 others and I will be pulling big - time for him!

Comment

Ditto on both the 400H and the LJ. Phillips is a new man.

Perhaps the race of the meet won't be the 400s. That men's 4x1 relay will be some barnburner....IF the Merkans can get the stick around.

Comment

I hope that I'm wrong, but Bolt vs. Gay will be in the 100 (first time in 2009), 200 (second time in 2009) and third leg of 4x100 (third time in 2009) in Berlin.

I also hope that I'm wrong, but Merrit vs. Wariner at any distance will be at 400 for the first time in 2009 in Berlin.

Will the same be true of Felix vs. VCB at 200? NBC may be happy, but I hope to see some confrontations before Berlin.

Thanks to Rome GL for Richards vs. Felix. Any other?
        none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
          Will the same be true of Jeter vs. Fraser at 100, Felix vs. VCB at 200, men's LJ, etc.? NBC may be happy, but I hope to see some confrontations before Berlin.
          I don't think NBC will care one way or another. They won't have the time to make a big thing out of whether this is their first meeting or fourteenth.

Comment

I had forgotten that Jeter had defeated Fraser & Phillips had defeated Saladino at Pre, so I deleted it.

NBC can now feature Bolt vs. Gay, Merritt vs. Wariner and VCB vs. Felix.
            none

Comment

Originally posted by dj
              I don't think NBC will care one way or another. They won't have the time to make a big thing out of whether this is their first meeting or fourteenth.
              Well put. NBC = Nothing But Cretins; Now Broadcasting Crap; Never Been Classy, etc.

Comment

[quote="Chrome Dome"]I agree that the pick of Manzano would seem to be "way out there". I will be pulling for him, but a top 8 finish would be a wonderful accomplishment!
                I agree. Although Manzano has a strong kick, he lost at USAT&F and was 12th in his OG semi.
                Lagat's running 800s may make him a faster kicker than he was in 2007 when he ran 1:50 in both of his wins.
                none

Comment

Originally posted by Chrome Dome
                  I agree that the pick of Manzano would seem to be "way out there". I will be pulling for him, but a top 8 finish would be a wonderful accomplishment!
                  Eberhardt in second is also a weird choice. He didn't even win the NC this weekend. He was out of the top 3 in a slow race in the ETC, and finished in 5th, some way down on the leaders when he set his PB in Berlin GL. With these results, it's hard to see him in the top 3 whether the race is fast or slow.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

A Berlin highlight for me will be seeing either Willard or Barringer (or both!) on the medal stand.

Comment

I can't believe Richard picked those guys 2-3 in 1500. Has to be some kind of mistake?

Comment

Agree about m1500 and Roberts. 400H has been a hard-to-predict event lately, anything could happen.

Men's 50k walk - is Schwazer for some reason not going to Berlin? Can't see him not winning if he's there and anywhere close to his best shape (though colder weather than in the last two major meets might favor Nizhegorodov?)

Men's decathlon is also "risky" - García to win, Suárez out of medals and Šebrle still in third?

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                          Men's decathlon is also "risky" - García to win, Suárez out of medals and Šebrle still in third?
                          Hymans probably did the prediction before the CAC results, that's why he has the 'wrong' Cuban in first. But I agree these predictions are looking a bit suspect. The 5000 looks strange to me as well.

Much as I would like that, I can't see Igor Janik getting a medal, either. And does Francisco Fernandez actually intend to do the 50k?
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                            Much as I would like that, I can't see Igor Janik getting a medal, either.
                            It is a long shot. But very few thought Kovals would get silver last year, and (apart from Greer, and possibly Makarov - I don't know why he bombed?) all the top guys were healthy that time. If Thorkildsen continues to have groin problems (or the back problems return), and Järvenpää doesn't recover well enough, anything is possible. In any case, only Pitkämäki and Thorkildsen are throwing beyond 83-84m solidly from comp to comp.

Anyway, (unlike as recently as a few months ago), nobody can deny Janik is now one of the current javelin elite.

Comment

Re: T&FN's First WC Picks

Originally posted by pickle47
                              While I like Leo Manzano, I really wasn't expecting to see him picked for Bronze. Yes, he's improving, yes he no doubt had a solid winter training at altitude in Mexico, yes he has a pretty good kick. But he couldn't run LL down at the Trials and I just don't see him there quite yet.

Best race of the meet - 400, men's and women's. Men's to see if JW can climb back up or if LM will hold him off. Women's to see if TBO can once again peak like Viren and if SR can go rounds. There were rounds at the Trials, right?
                              This is going to be more interesting than a lot of people seem to believe.

JW is back on it with Coach Hart and Merritt will indeed have his hands full.

In fact, if JW runs what I think he will, Merritt will need a PR to win. :wink:
                              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Working...
                              X