Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 502CD
    replied
    I see CWT is in the 1500 after running earlier this week. When is Rowbury racing again? I haven't seen her on any entry lists yet.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    If it was me I'd say that 0% is probably dead. But if that is so, the scale is obviously not linear.

But I could buy your argument for you being the standard for 0%. Even then it is probably not a linear scale.

Maybe 0% represents that athlete ability with no training at all. That might be closer to a linear scale.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by croflash
    Originally posted by Mikewats
    Do you reckon Asafa's ankle will be fine by Berlin?? I hope it is!

I kind of agree with putting a lot of the strain on his right side thus meaning he is very likely too injure it. If he can get his ankle better soon I'll be so happy.
    After watching the race I don't believe him when he says he is only "85 percent" like he did during the press conference in Rome today. Under normal conditions, he would have run at least sub 9.9 and nobody can achieve that at 85 percent.
    Does anybody understand what it means that the athlete is "85%"? How is it determined? How can you say 85 instead of 75 or 92? What are the baselines of comparison? Is 0% being dead, or being a klutz like me? We hear this all the time, team as well as individual sports.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    Originally posted by croflash

I kind of agree with putting a lot of the strain on his right side thus meaning he is very likely too injure it. If he can get his ankle better soon I'll be so happy.
    After watching the race I don't believe him when he says he is only "85 percent" like he did during the press conference in Rome today. Under normal conditions, he would have run at least sub 9.9 and nobody can achieve that at 85 percent.
    Bolt can!!! He can run 9.8 with two broke legs!!!

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    Originally posted by toyracer
    Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
    How come no one is talking about the Asafa/Tyson matchup over 100m in Rome this Friday.
    Possibly because Asafa is in terrible form .
    Perhaps you didn't see the Lausanne race? He's back. 100%.
    Yes, I have seen the Lausanne race. I've watched it many times, in real-time and slow motion. He is not "back" and is most definitely not "100%". In fact, he is far from it. Asafa is now running "right-side-strong", because of the injury to his left ankle. He is trying to make up for the deficiency of his left side by trying hard with his right. He got away with it in Lausanne, and by that I mean that he didn't injure himself. He cannot continue to get away with it, and will certainly lose to Gay if he runs like that against him. In Lausanne his right-side-strong running caused him to drift to the left, and if he had not corrected the drift he would have eventually crossed over into the other lane by the time he reached the finish line. He won that race on sheer will power and the power of one leg.
    Take it up with him.
    Still, Powell called it his best performance of the season. He added that Bolt's world record of 9.69 seconds was within his reach,
    Whoa. That's your response? You offered your opinion that "he's back 100%" and when I say that he isn't you then point me in the direction of a quoted interview? What about defending your own opinion?

And, FWIW, the quote doesn't exclude what I wrote. Asafa may very well feel that it was his best performance of the year but that does not mean that he is 100% fit, which is what you opined. Best race of a year filled with bad races does not mean that he is back to his usual sub-9.90 self, or that the race itself was particularly good.

Leave a comment:

• Non Potest
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by Non Potest
    Originally posted by RamGoat
    I can't really see Powell running anything faster than 9.85 this time, but i still want him to win.
    How well do you expect Tyson to run?
    All I can say is FAASST!! :lol:
    I don't know how Powell is gonna dig him self outa this one!
    By getting a start like he did on Tues. If Tyson leaves the blocks lazily as he is prone to do the result will be the same as the last time they met in Berlin. You heard it here first.
    I don't know about that, Tyson top end speed among the best, if not the best in the world.
    i know the race can only be run on the track but try the following crude exercise then compare with the results @ Rome.

TGs basic @ US nationals - Rodgers basic @ US nationals = x

Asafa time @ Lausanne - Rodgers time @ Lausanne = y

If Y is greater than X then Asafa wins in Rome and you can estimate the winning margin.

assumptions (both get a fair start, finish the race healthy)

I will compare notes with you again after Rome.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    How come no one is talking about the Asafa/Tyson matchup over 100m in Rome this Friday.
    Yes, I have seen the Lausanne race. I've watched it many times, in real-time and slow motion. He is not "back" and is most definitely not "100%". In fact, he is far from it. Asafa is now running "right-side-strong", because of the injury to his left ankle. He is trying to make up for the deficiency of his left side by trying hard with his right. He got away with it in Lausanne, and by that I mean that he didn't injure himself. He cannot continue to get away with it, and will certainly lose to Gay if he runs like that against him. In Lausanne his right-side-strong running caused him to drift to the left, and if he had not corrected the drift he would have eventually crossed over into the other lane by the time he reached the finish line. He won that race on sheer will power and the power of one leg.
    Take it up with him.
    Still, Powell called it his best performance of the season. He added that Bolt's world record of 9.69 seconds was within his reach,

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 110hedgeNYC
    replied
    I am cheering for Tyson Gay to have a great race in Rome. I am a huge Gay fan.

That said, Asafa Powell looked really good in Lausanne. It was an excellent race in terrible conditions. He looks like he is getting into form and getting his confidence back.

Look for a close race.

Also look for Mike Rodgers to at least be "in range" with these guys.

One question: where the heck are ANY AMERICAN MEN in the middle and long distance events???

What, are they bunkered down in Eugene training hard so that they will get slapped in the face at Worlds by everyone else that is race sharp from running the Euro-circuit?

Simmonds and Co seem to repeat the same pattern every year: look great at Pre and Nationals (in Eugene). Train. Show up at Worlds and Olympics and get absolutely slaughtered by runners that are much, much sharper and "race fit".

Leave a comment:

• toyracer
    replied
    Possibly because Asafa is in terrible form and Gay has shown fantastic form. The race shouldn't even be close. Asafa is nowhere near his usual self, much less to be competitive with a mid-9.7 Gay. The race is going to be a serious wake up call about the left ankle; overcompensating with the right leg will not get him in the same league as Gay. In this race, Gay will be the one that will have the luxury of deciding at the 80m mark if he wants to shut down and jog over the line.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Non Potest
    I can't really see Powell running anything faster than 9.85 this time, but i still want him to win.
    By getting a start like he did on Tues. If Tyson leaves the blocks lazily as he is prone to do the result will be the same as the last time they met in Berlin. You heard it here first.
    I don't know about that, Tyson top end speed among the best, if not the best in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Non Potest
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X