Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Story now linked on front page says it's so bad it requires surgery. Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• pela2
    replied
    Klüft his out for at least 6 months. Severe damage in her thigh after her competition yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied
    You've not stepped on my toes. You make some valid points, particularly about the 2nd place marks. My point is that you cannot say Lewis was lucky in 2000 with no Kluft, because as I said, that's just like saying Kluft was lucky not to be competing 86-92. It's just pointless.

It's obviously not Kluft's fault that the overall standard of the heptathlon was a bit iffy between 02 and 07. You compete against who's there at the time, and she beat Barber with some great scores and competition. I just personally wish Kluft hadn't lef the heptathlon after 07, because there is a handful of talented girls that could challenge her.

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    Just as a short background: Over the years I have again and again heard it
    claimed in various contexts that ``Klüft is great, but she is lucky that
    everyone else is so poor right now.''---this even after her 2003 season.
    The names of Barber and Lewis (who tried to gain back her shape for several
    years after 2001) were mentioned particularly often. (Obviously, someone
    who is not a Swedish Klüft-fanatic may not have noticed.) My post goes
    against these claims, and should not be seen as an attempt to pick at
    individual athletes or eras. I apologize, if I stepped on any toes.

Further, while the competition in 2002 was unusally weak, this is nothing
    unusual for an EC year (cf. e.g. http://www.apulanta.fi/matti/yu/champs/)
    and even in somewhat stronger competition she would have highly likely to
    medal---with a non-neglectable chance to win. The 1998 EC, notably, was won
    by Lewis in 6559 to Klüft's 6542 in 2002.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied
    Lewis was lucky Kluft wasn't around in 2000? I'm pretty sure Kluft was a competing athlete in 2000! By the same token you could say lucky for Kluft she wanst competing between 86 and 92! Different eras of athletes, the Lewis era was 97-01, Kluft was competing after that, so it's a non starter. What you have to do is look at athletes from the same era, and in that Barber was unlucky in Sydney to get injured and DNF in Edmonton, while Prokhorova was very lucky with her win.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by imaginative
    Conclusions: 1. We have actually been quite lucky in terms of good second
    placers in the Klüft era. 2. Lewis was quite lucky that Klüft was not around
    in 2000. 3. Barber was correspondingly unlucky in 2003/2005.
    And Kluft was lucky to become world's no. 1 as a junior in 2002, because the competition was so poor that year. Of course she was a more than worthy no. 1 for the next 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    Originally posted by Stephen
    For me, the sad thing is that Kluft's departure from the heptathlon coincided with an overall improvement in the event. it would have been great to see her face Fountain, Dobrynska, Ennis etc.
    Quite true; in particular since the lack of competition on a few occasions may
    affected Klüft negatively. Still, that more than one or two athletes have truly
    strong series in the same competition is very rare. Seeing that there were many
    who considered Klüft lucky that Barber and Lewis were out of shape in the
    beginning of her career, a look at a few non-winning results of all times
    (from Pela's) is interesting:

17 6897 Sabine John GDR 16.10.57 2 Seoul 24.09.1988
    24 6858 Anke Behmer GER 05.06.61 3 Seoul 24.09.1988
    26 6845 Irina Belova RUS 27.03.68 2 Barcelona 02.08.1992
    31 6832 Lyudmila Blonska UKR 09.11.77 2 Osaka 26.08.2007
    33 6824 Eunice Barber FRA 17.11.74 2 Helsinki 07.08.2005
    39 6797 Sabine Braun GER 29.06.65 2 Stuttgart 17.08.1993
    40 6789 Ramona Neubert GDR 26.07.58 2 Potsdam 21.07.1984
    45 6775 Anke Behmer GER 05.06.61 3 Potsdam 21.07.1984
    51 6755 Eunice Barber FRA 17.11.74 2 Saint-Denis 24.08.2003

Of the top-nine results and top-seven competitions, no less than three
    were behind Klüft. (Unless I have over-looked a result.) The rest should
    be four/three behind JJK and two/one behind John (warning: unchecked claim).

Conclusions: 1. We have actually been quite lucky in terms of good second
    placers in the Klüft era. 2. Lewis was quite lucky that Klüft was not around
    in 2000. 3. Barber was correspondingly unlucky in 2003/2005.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Maybe the other women were actually encouraged by Kluft's disappearance? They felt for the first time they had a chance to win a major title.
    Absolutely, I'm sure this did contribute for some. However, I believe Ennis & Chernova would have come through anyway as they're both young. For older athletes like Dobrynska and Fountain though, Kluft's departure from the event most definately helped.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Stephen
    For me, the sad thing is that Kluft's departure from the heptathlon coincided with an overall improvement in the event. it would have been great to see her face Fountain, Dobrynska, Ennis etc.
    Maybe the other women were actually encouraged by Kluft's disappearance? They felt for the first time they had a chance to win a major title.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied
    A disastrous 2008 and now this. I wonder if we'll ever see Kluft on the rostrum again? If she sticks with the LJ/TJ then perhpas not.

Leave a comment:

• 110hedgeNYC
    replied

that's awful news. I really feel for Kluft. It seems she was struggling, but gradually working her way towards regaining her form/full health for the LJ this year.

this is a shame. She's one of my favorite athletes.

Hope she heals fast and that she comes back all the way.

She is amazingly talented. Still believe that, if 100% healthy for a full year of training, she's a top 5 finisher for Worlds or Olympics in the LJ and/or the TJ.

Would also be interesting to see what she could do in the 400 meter hurdles.

She has got to be one of the greatest female athletes, all-time, all sports.

Leave a comment:

• duckedup
    replied
    damn that sucks. between her and kallur are two very very talented athletes that are injured at the wrong time a lot it seems.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Recall, however, that she went to the LJ/TJ at this point, and let go of any notion of vaulting (despite her husband being a vaulter).

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Klüft is actually quoted here in SE on 2007-march-3 as stating the vault would be a cool event - one she could attempt to compete without expectations placed on her. I know she has toyed around with it in practices. Miro Zalar, who works as an expert for Radiosporten, believes Klüft has the raw tools needed for the vault.
    Wouldn't that pretty much end her "professional" career though ? It seems like she loves the sport track and field in general, at the same time she left the heptathlon because she couldn't find enough motivation anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Klüft is actually quoted here in SE on 2007-march-3 as stating the vault would be a cool event
    Another advantage would be she could put a score up a decent score for the decathlon. That might be interesting.

What are the chances the heptathlon will become a decathlon soon?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X