Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&FN's first women's WC medal picks

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/formch ... lChart.pdf

Unfortunately Ndereba has pulled out of the Marathon.

As far as I understand, Defar hasn't even been selected for the 10000m.

I have to say I would be surprised if Obergfoll wins gold in the javelin too.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Defending champion Veronica Campbell not in the top three in the womens 100m? Not going to happen.

For sure, its going to be a final of immense proportions if all the expected folks make it. Shelly Ann is not going to have it "easy" as she did in Beijing for sure. Everyone will be gunning for her. Only way she wins is if everyone else "allows" her to get away with a bullet like start like in Beijing last year and at the JA Trials.

If the race is close at 30-40m, she is probably not going to win.
      Cows need love too

Comment

2007 Osaka steeple winner Volkova (and number 2 pick) hasn't raced at all this season, so not sure if she will be making it to the big dance.

Comment

If I'm counting correctly, the men's and women's charts show the US winning a total of 31 medals.

Sorry, but I'll take the under side of that bet.

Comment

I have issues with the 5000m and 10000m.

I think Abeylegesse has been seriously underestimated in both events. I realise Defar didn't exactly have the perfect stage to show her full 10000m potential, but, that said, I feel Abeylegesse can and will beat her.

I don't think she can beat Defar over 5000m, but can see her pushing Melkamu into Bronze despite the latter's extraordinary 10000m time recently.

Plus, Masai is ready to drop one any day now in the 10000m and no better place than Berlin.

Dibaba's had her injuries this season, but after seeing that extraordinary comeback she made in Osaka 10,000m (IIRC), I will never count her out, even if she's arrives at the start line on crutches.

I'm open to correction on any of those points though...

Comment

The US might spot the Russians 5-7 meters going into anchor just like they did in Beijing.

And just like in Beijing...Sanya WILL RUN DOWN WHOEVER IS IN FRONT OF HER WHEN SHE GETS THE STICK.

Print this.
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                Defending champion Veronica Campbell not in the top three in the womens 100m? Not going to happen.
                Well if she does run it and is in the top 3, she wont get the Gold she's listed for at 200 meters.

A rested Felix will EXPLODE in the final just like she did in Osaka.

Print this too.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Rineanna
                  Dibaba's had her injuries this season, but after seeing that extraordinary comeback she made in Osaka 10,000m (IIRC), I will never count her out, even if she's arrives at the start line on crutches.
                  Amen. Kinda remincient of Steve Cram in his prime. I'll count her out when she's dead. And I'll make damn sure I poke the body in the casket :shock:

(I wrote off Cram in Rome '87. That worked like a charm).

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                    Amen. Kinda remincient of Steve Cram in his prime. I'll count her out when she's dead. And I'll make damn sure I poke the body in the casket :shock:

(I wrote off Cram in Rome '87. That worked like a charm).
                    steve cram came about 7th in Rome :?
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

I have issues with the 5000m and 10000m.

Dibaba ran decently behind Masai in (New York?). Has she been injured again since then? There was talk of her racing Defar and going for the record in Oslo, but she DNS. Does anyone know why? What is her injury status now?

It seems very odd that she was picked for 3rd in the 5K, nothing in the 10K. In the past, she has run the 10K, then either doubled (2005, 2008) or not (2007), depending on her health.

My hunch is that, if she runs the 10, she will win it; if she then doubles, she will win again.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan Shank
                      Woodland, CA

Comment

Shot maybe Lamert can get the bronze.
                        Jav think Abakamova can surprise.
                        Discus, think Samuels will move up, maybe 3rd, this year,
                        and hammer is really open. Assume from the picks that Moreno has been run over by a truck and that news will travel down here in about two more months..

also think the Russians have lots of good women hammer throwers maybe this year one will step up.
                        " we all overtrain" Pat Casey to George Frenn

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Gibbs
                          Shot maybe Lamert can get the bronze.
                          Jav think Abakamova can surprise.
                          Discus, think Samuels will move up, maybe 3rd, this year,
                          and hammer is really open. Assume from the picks that Moreno has been run over by a truck and that news will travel down here in about two more months..

also think the Russians have lots of good women hammer throwers maybe this year one will step up.
                          Lammert is out for the rest of the season with an elbow injury.
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                            Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                            Well if she does run it and is in the top 3, she wont get the Gold she's listed for at 200 meters.

A rested Felix will EXPLODE in the final just like she did in Osaka.

Print this too.
                            Osaka was then. VC is a much stronger athlete now and can handle the rounds very well. Even after running the 100m , I expected VC to have a sizeable lead coming off the curve in the 200m and hang on for the victory.

I have not seen anything this year to believe that Allyson has improved her first 100m
                            Cows need love too

Comment

I can end the back the fourth by saying this, the best runner on that day no matter what they did prior will win the event...PERIOD!!! And thats real!! If Veronica is ready and I know for a fact the Coach Brauman will have her ready, she can win it. Allyson, if Coach K. got her ready and its her time, she can win it as well.

May the best woman no matter who win!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X