Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lausanne W 200m - Kerron Stewart 22.73 (-3.7)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=T&F_LA]
    Originally posted by "Non Potest":pnrifk2u

if she changes her mind she might have a shot as its been rumoured that second past the post at the Jam nationals Shelly Ann Fraser wont be doubling in Berlin. The 3rd spot is not automatic but picked by a selection committee.
    Same thing was said last year when VCB was fourth and, rumour or not, never happened. But if it had, 3rd place SAF has never run that 10.78 for gold in Beijing, a faster time than the great VCB's best time[/quotenrifk2u]

SAF was 2nd
    Sherone was 3rd
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
      Originally posted by ILoveTrack
      Anyone catch Ato's comments during the 200m race? First, he said Stewart is doubling at WC. Is there any way Jamaica can add her to the team since she opted out of the 200m at their championships? Second, he said running into a -3.7 wind you can take off almost a second for Stewart's time. That's seem a bit much. It what he says is true then Williams and Knight just ran very low 22s, and Stewart was well under 22.
      He said that? I doubt he saw what I saw 28 years ago:

407 22.30 -4.3 Evelyn Ashford USA 15.04.57 1 Sacramento 21.06.1981

FloJo ran 23.09 in this race for 2nd. If what he said is true, Evelyn would have had the WR for 7 years with 0.0 wind; maybe 21.4x with 1.9 wind. What exactly does both races (Kerron's and Evelyn's) convert to, with 0.0 and 2.0 wind?

Evelyn was absolutely on top of her game that day and looked like she could have set a world record. She was absolutely dominant in both sprints. Breathtaking. And not only was the headwind literally unbelievable but it was about 110 degrees with brush fires threatening.

Comment

Originally posted by trackonthebrain
        Originally posted by CookyMonzta
        Originally posted by ILoveTrack
        Anyone catch Ato's comments during the 200m race? First, he said Stewart is doubling at WC. Is there any way Jamaica can add her to the team since she opted out of the 200m at their championships? Second, he said running into a -3.7 wind you can take off almost a second for Stewart's time. That's seem a bit much. It what he says is true then Williams and Knight just ran very low 22s, and Stewart was well under 22.
        He said that? I doubt he saw what I saw 28 years ago:

407 22.30 -4.3 Evelyn Ashford USA 15.04.57 1 Sacramento 21.06.1981

FloJo ran 23.09 in this race for 2nd. If what he said is true, Evelyn would have had the WR for 7 years with 0.0 wind; maybe 21.4x with 1.9 wind. What exactly does both races (Kerron's and Evelyn's) convert to, with 0.0 and 2.0 wind?

Evelyn was absolutely on top of her game that day and looked like she could have set a world record. She was absolutely dominant in both sprints. Breathtaking. And not only was the headwind literally unbelievable but it was about 110 degrees with brush fires threatening.
        I take it you were in the stands that day to watch that race up-close, no? Is temperature a factor on how fast sprinters run? We know that 110 degrees is murder for distance runners.

Comment

I was running. It was demoralizing - that hot and running into that -4.3 headwind. I think Hershel Walker beat everybody in the 100 semis because he was so big. But I know this is not the topic of the thread.

My point was - as you saw, Evelyn looked like she was on her game for a world record that day. She was so dominant and ran so fast into that kind of wind. She went on to win the double at world cup that year.

So, Ato may not have been that far off in his comments. But, for sure, it puts Stewart's time in perspective as to where she is right now in the 200. It also allows us to pay respects to just how good Ashford was in her day because those conditions that day in Sacramento were murder.

Comment

Wind corrections are difficult in the 200 because the wind on the straight does not tell you everything. The wind vector could be such that you have a worse wind (if coming from the right side on the straight) on the curve or a better wind (coming from the left). Generally corrections should not be that much larger than they are for the 100.

Of course there is also the issue of what the wind really was because, at least in the men's race, the wind time was flashed up after 10 seconds, just at they were finishing the curve (the wind on the straight ten seconds later than the time taken might have been greater or less than the listed value. My guess is that if the wind had been close to +2.0 and Bolt had been at 19.29 the measurements would technically not have supported a WR. How could such a major meet get this wrong?

Comment

Working...
            X