Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lausanne W 200m - Kerron Stewart 22.73 (-3.7)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    26mi235
    Senior Member

  • 26mi235
    replied
    Wind corrections are difficult in the 200 because the wind on the straight does not tell you everything. The wind vector could be such that you have a worse wind (if coming from the right side on the straight) on the curve or a better wind (coming from the left). Generally corrections should not be that much larger than they are for the 100.

    Of course there is also the issue of what the wind really was because, at least in the men's race, the wind time was flashed up after 10 seconds, just at they were finishing the curve (the wind on the straight ten seconds later than the time taken might have been greater or less than the listed value. My guess is that if the wind had been close to +2.0 and Bolt had been at 19.29 the measurements would technically not have supported a WR. How could such a major meet get this wrong?

    Leave a comment:

  • trackonthebrain
    Senior Member

  • trackonthebrain
    replied
    I was running. It was demoralizing - that hot and running into that -4.3 headwind. I think Hershel Walker beat everybody in the 100 semis because he was so big. But I know this is not the topic of the thread.

    My point was - as you saw, Evelyn looked like she was on her game for a world record that day. She was so dominant and ran so fast into that kind of wind. She went on to win the double at world cup that year.

    So, Ato may not have been that far off in his comments. But, for sure, it puts Stewart's time in perspective as to where she is right now in the 200. It also allows us to pay respects to just how good Ashford was in her day because those conditions that day in Sacramento were murder.

    Leave a comment:

  • CookyMonzta
    Senior Member

  • CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by trackonthebrain
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    Originally posted by ILoveTrack
    Anyone catch Ato's comments during the 200m race? First, he said Stewart is doubling at WC. Is there any way Jamaica can add her to the team since she opted out of the 200m at their championships? Second, he said running into a -3.7 wind you can take off almost a second for Stewart's time. That's seem a bit much. It what he says is true then Williams and Knight just ran very low 22s, and Stewart was well under 22.
    He said that? I doubt he saw what I saw 28 years ago:

    407 22.30 -4.3 Evelyn Ashford USA 15.04.57 1 Sacramento 21.06.1981

    FloJo ran 23.09 in this race for 2nd. If what he said is true, Evelyn would have had the WR for 7 years with 0.0 wind; maybe 21.4x with 1.9 wind. What exactly does both races (Kerron's and Evelyn's) convert to, with 0.0 and 2.0 wind?

    Evelyn was absolutely on top of her game that day and looked like she could have set a world record. She was absolutely dominant in both sprints. Breathtaking. And not only was the headwind literally unbelievable but it was about 110 degrees with brush fires threatening.
    I take it you were in the stands that day to watch that race up-close, no? Is temperature a factor on how fast sprinters run? We know that 110 degrees is murder for distance runners.

    Leave a comment:

  • trackonthebrain
    Senior Member

  • trackonthebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta
    Originally posted by ILoveTrack
    Anyone catch Ato's comments during the 200m race? First, he said Stewart is doubling at WC. Is there any way Jamaica can add her to the team since she opted out of the 200m at their championships? Second, he said running into a -3.7 wind you can take off almost a second for Stewart's time. That's seem a bit much. It what he says is true then Williams and Knight just ran very low 22s, and Stewart was well under 22.
    He said that? I doubt he saw what I saw 28 years ago:

    407 22.30 -4.3 Evelyn Ashford USA 15.04.57 1 Sacramento 21.06.1981

    FloJo ran 23.09 in this race for 2nd. If what he said is true, Evelyn would have had the WR for 7 years with 0.0 wind; maybe 21.4x with 1.9 wind. What exactly does both races (Kerron's and Evelyn's) convert to, with 0.0 and 2.0 wind?

    Evelyn was absolutely on top of her game that day and looked like she could have set a world record. She was absolutely dominant in both sprints. Breathtaking. And not only was the headwind literally unbelievable but it was about 110 degrees with brush fires threatening.

    Leave a comment:

  • DentyCracker
    Senior Member

  • DentyCracker
    replied
    [quote=T&F_LA]
    Originally posted by "Non Potest":pnrifk2u

    if she changes her mind she might have a shot as its been rumoured that second past the post at the Jam nationals Shelly Ann Fraser wont be doubling in Berlin. The 3rd spot is not automatic but picked by a selection committee.
    Same thing was said last year when VCB was fourth and, rumour or not, never happened. But if it had, 3rd place SAF has never run that 10.78 for gold in Beijing, a faster time than the great VCB's best time[/quotenrifk2u]

    SAF was 2nd
    Sherone was 3rd

    Leave a comment:

  • knite
    Senior Member

  • knite
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by guruof track
    Originally posted by DentyCracker
    Hope Muna is OK
    She is fine, trust me.
    Muna's biggest weakness is headwinds, and -3.7 m/s is like kryptonite for her, for reasons that are self-evident.
    why? because she's so tall and skinny?
    Not so much in her height, but she's all of about 115 lbs,on her 5-7 frame.

    Leave a comment:

  • cacique
    Senior Member

  • cacique
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by guruof track
    Originally posted by DentyCracker
    Hope Muna is OK
    She is fine, trust me.
    Muna's biggest weakness is headwinds, and -3.7 m/s is like kryptonite for her, for reasons that are self-evident.
    why? because she's so tall and skinny?

    Leave a comment:

  • T&F_LA
    Senior Member

  • T&F_LA
    replied
    Originally posted by Non Potest

    if she changes her mind she might have a shot as its been rumoured that second past the post at the Jam nationals Shelly Ann Fraser wont be doubling in Berlin. The 3rd spot is not automatic but picked by a selection committee.
    Same thing was said last year when VCB was fourth and, rumour or not, never happened. But if it had, 3rd place SAF has never run that 10.78 for gold in Beijing, a faster time than the great VCB's best time

    Leave a comment:

  • rainy.here
    Senior Member

  • rainy.here
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    Some of the fastest times have been run during or right after rainfall, fyi.

    Matter of fact, last May, Bolt set his former WR in the 100m's right after it rained for about 20 or so minutes!
    There are a couple reasons I can think of that rain before an event could help a sprint time, and they are basically the same as increasing altitude.

    1) Rain tends to happen during low pressure systems, so the air is less dense than normal.
    2) Strangely enough, humid air is less dense than dry air of the same pressure.

    I have no idea how much difference these effects have; it could negligible, it could be measurable.

    Leave a comment:

  • tm71
    Senior Member

  • tm71
    replied
    again all this is pure speculation. If Carl Lewis had a 2.0 wind in Colorado in the early 80s in his peak and got all of the baord he would have jumped over 30 feet in the long jump. well as we know he never got these conditions and never got off that jump. so please lets end the "if x athlete had 2.0 wind at this meet he would have run y time". the new olympic and world championship venues are enclosed such that wind is going to be NEGLIGIBLE (between -1 to + 1). It is unlikely we will see a lot of championship races run in 2.0 wind anymore.

    Leave a comment:

  • knite
    Senior Member

  • knite
    replied
    Some of the fastest times have been run during or right after rainfall, fyi.

    Matter of fact, last May, Bolt set his former WR in the 100m's right after it rained for about 20 or so minutes!

    Leave a comment:

  • tm71
    Senior Member

  • tm71
    replied
    all this wind calculation business is pure speculation. the time is what the clock says it is. i know it was raining, but whoever crosses the finish line wins that particular race. anyway...

    Leave a comment:

  • CookyMonzta
    Senior Member

  • CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by ILoveTrack
    Anyone catch Ato's comments during the 200m race? First, he said Stewart is doubling at WC. Is there any way Jamaica can add her to the team since she opted out of the 200m at their championships? Second, he said running into a -3.7 wind you can take off almost a second for Stewart's time. That's seem a bit much. It what he says is true then Williams and Knight just ran very low 22s, and Stewart was well under 22.
    He said that? I doubt he saw what I saw 28 years ago:

    407 22.30 -4.3 Evelyn Ashford USA 15.04.57 1 Sacramento 21.06.1981

    FloJo ran 23.09 in this race for 2nd. If what he said is true, Evelyn would have had the WR for 7 years with 0.0 wind; maybe 21.4x with 1.9 wind. What exactly does both races (Kerron's and Evelyn's) convert to, with 0.0 and 2.0 wind?

    Leave a comment:

  • Boxer4robb
    Senior Member

  • Boxer4robb
    replied
    Here's the link

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-0ean6uc4A

    Leave a comment:

  • jamaicantrackfan
    Senior Member

  • jamaicantrackfan
    replied
    Originally posted by trackfan22
    Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
    Originally posted by knite
    She's still upset about last yr and wants to make amends for her place in with a win in Berlin.
    Yea plus she said that her focus this year is the 100 and the GL jackpot. She may have a tough time sharing the jackpot however. SHe has yet to face Jeter, Fraser and Veronica in the GL meets over 100m.
    IF ITS case where she is close to winning the jackpot and i doubt vcb or fraser is gonna run

    Not sure what you call close. She has only run and won 2 out of 6 GL meets. The third GL meet is this Friday in Rome. At some point, she is going to meet Jeter, Frazer and VC on the GL circuit.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X